The Dark Knight Returns animated movie

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 23 May 2012, 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic
I just watched it tonight and was very impressed.

Thought you might like to know that the director of The Dark Knight Returns, Jay Oliva, has been on the site!

He read funzi159's review of Part 2 and left a nice comment at the bottom of the page.

Check it out! http://www.batman-online.com/features/2013/1/23/review-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-2

Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations to funzi159!

We should start keeping a list of all the people in the comic book and movie industries who visit the site.

Wed, 6 Feb 2013, 23:33 #33 Last Edit: Thu, 7 Feb 2013, 01:04 by SilentEnigma
Yeah, way to go.

I wonder, will the soundtrack become available? I loved the score, especially the cue when Batman and the Joker have their fateful meeting in the fairground. Don't care about whatever anyone says, the way they brought this scene to life was one of the best final confrontations in any screen version of Batman.

Sun, 28 Apr 2013, 19:15 #34 Last Edit: Sun, 28 Apr 2013, 21:40 by BatmAngelus
It will and I can't wait to get ahold of it either when it comes out:
https://twitter.com/DrakeFilmscore/status/320267437272612864
Drake should get props for being the only composer who's had to compose multiple Batman themes, since the DC movies he works on aren't connected to each other in continuity.  I love his work from In Darkness Dwells in Gotham Knight as well as Under the Red Hood and I know he's done others, too.

Back to TDKR:
Finally saw both parts.  Definitely up there with Mask of the Phantasm and Under the Red Hood in my book.  For those who have seen it, check out Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin's commentary on the Fatman on Batman podcast.  Very entertaining take from two megafans of the source material.

I thought Weller was perfect for the TDKR Batman and the action sequences were even better than the comic.  Loved their version of "This isn't a mudhole.  It's an operating table" in Part I and the Tunnel of Love sequence in Part II gets well-deserved praise (where Michael Emerson nails the Joker's final moments).   I thought some of the additions and changes were the right calls, such as Carrie and Batman exchanging looks after he saves her, the Two-Face sequence being Harvey's suicide attempt, Joker taking a more active role in killing Wolper, and Gordon & Clark's final exchange.  I had reread the comic before watching it, but the movie made me want to reread it again just to re-experience it and pick up on moments that were cut and moments that the movie expanded upon.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

So, I finally got around to seeing both parts. This is a worthy adaption. Like BatmAngelus, I was compelled to re-read it straight after. The movie has made me a bigger fan of the story.

Weller's voice was excellent. Firm and authoritative. Emerson was spot on too. His calm voice suited Joker's vegetative type state. Very cold, detached and a matter of fact. I can't praise these two enough.

I preferred Part 1, but Part 2 has it's fair share of highlights. Especially the tunnel of love. Definitely my favourite part. That's what a final confrontation is all about. Joker knowing this is the end, and as a result killing more indiscriminately than ever. We all know this, but seeing the panels play out gave everything more life. It was fun to watch.

I liked the animation style, and the music suited just fine. Especially the main theme. I approve - and will be seeking the Blu-rays.

Due in October is a Deluxe edition of The Dark Knight Returns, collecting both parts and featuring a director (Jay Oliva) commentary track.

Actually, it's supposed to be a commentary by Frank Miller himself if the Warner Bros. ad is anything to go by!  ???

That definitely interests me. I hope he'll say that without most of the narration, it's not as good!

And furthermore, there are other new features, but also it's edited into one film. I knew they were gonna do that, but I bought both anyhow. Oh well. Time to gift the existing copies of mine and double (triple?) dip for this new release!
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

I haven't got around to buying the Blu-rays. I'm glad I didn't, because I'll be going for this deluxe edition.

Random trivia of the day- according to the movie's composer, Christopher Drake, Michael Keaton actually passed on doing the voice...of the Joker:
https://twitter.com/DrakeFilmscore/status/358699310566748161
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...