Jurassic World sequel with Jeff Goldblum

Started by The Joker, Wed, 26 Apr 2017, 23:48

Previous topic - Next topic

I wouldn't say I flat out hate TLW, but it's just my least favorite. That's all.

With the 1993 original, it was a favorite of mine as a kid. Having never read the original Michael Crichton book, I remember once I knew that Crichton was going to write a follow-up, I then made a conscious point in reading that book. I can't tell you why my interest wasn't to just start from the very beginning and learn of the differences between the JP novel and the film, but that was my mindset back then. After completing TLW book, I remember my anticipation was even more amped up since I, for the most part, enjoyed the book. My folks and I were there opening day, and I was indeed pretty excited, but by the time we were walking out of the theater, I do distinctly recall being disappointed overall. I mean, I did like the opening well enough, the fun cutaway in re-introducing Malcom yawning, the cameos featuring John Hammond and the kids, the dumb Michael Bay-esque T-Rex rampaging thru San Diego. All cool stuff. Alot of the other stuff was either simply OK to me, or just flat out dull. This film, was probably my very first experience in comparing a book and a movie in my head, since it may very well be the 1st time I read the book BEFORE seeing the movie, and couldn't help but compare, but I remember being disappointed in scenes from the book, characters from the book, being completely eliminated from the TLW movie.

From what I can remember, Crichton wrote TLW book as more of a sequel to the film version, than his own book. Having said that, I liked the idea that the character of Lewis Dodgson returned in TLW to complete the mission that Dennis Nedry ultimately failed to achieve. A character we see very little of in the original film, getting a much more expanded role in the sequel and displaying just how much of a scumbag he really is. That was my expectation, a human villain that may not be as sleazy as Dennis Nedry, but definitely no less antagonistic. Sadly, this was not to be, and I'm not sure why Spielberg chose to just go with a newly introduced self-serving greedy corporate guy that we've seen a thousand times already.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 27 Apr  2017, 08:59I think TLW is a good piece of entertainment and I never really understood the brutal hate that exists for it. It's as if the different tone rubbed people the wrong way. Those who wanted a replication of the original were left cold. Batman Returns haters are much the same. Opinions become set and each side just doubles down.
I don't know if I completely agree with that.

In JP, the characters all had rational causes for doing what they did. The entire team was assembled by Hammond. A lawyer to figure out if something like this is legal. A paleontologist and a paleo-botanist to determine if this is feasible. A mathematician to determine if this is even possible. And some of them get chewed up.

Everybody has a motive and a reasonable agenda.

TLW catches a lot of heat because, deep down, people know a money-grab when they see it. And when it's as shameless as TLW, it's hard to countenance. I mean, commercial film is a business. We all know this. Batman movies keep getting made because, in the main, they're profitable. But we can see past the profit and recognize the amazing Batman stories that have been told in film. What financial considerations might have been going on, there was usually an earnest desire to tell a story.

With TLW, the characters exist either to string action scenes together or grind a political ax. And not always necessarily in that order.

When I was younger, I believed the problem was bad film when it came to Jurassic Park. The powers that be simply needed a better vehicle to tell the story.

Nearing middle age, I now realize that Jurassic Park is a great film... and that's just about where it should've ended. Making sequels is attempting to capture lightning in a bottle. And how often does that ever work?

Jurassic World was fun and I rather enjoyed Pratt and Howard in the movie. But it's not likely to be the bona fide classic that JP is.

And yet, I'm a big hypocrite because I plan to see the Jurassic World sequel. My interest is piqued even more by Goldblum's uh, uh, uh, involvement.

I have no scruples.

Fri, 28 Apr 2017, 08:01 #12 Last Edit: Fri, 28 Apr 2017, 11:07 by The Dark Knight
Something that appeals to me with a concept like Jurassic Park is the atmosphere. Just as I like to watch Batman Returns with the air-conditioner set to arctic temperatures, I think JP is a film that is amplified when you watch it during a stormy night. Especially during the scene when the storm approaches in the original. That whole scene with Nedry driving in the rain is great.

Even with just Grant and Malcolm sitting in the disabled vehicles as the rain pitter patters on the glass. The Lost World also went for that rainy night ambience and I just really appreciate that. This was the case for me especially as a youngster. I'm all about tropical islands where you see fresh muddy footprints and hear roars off into the distance.

For my money Jurassic Park III and Jurassic World don't manage to capture that same type of mysterious atmosphere. Jurassic World had potential to be great. The whole idea that people were bored of dinosaurs was an example. But it just wasn't explored enough in my opinion.