Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 18 Mar 2012, 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic
I was looking forward to Turtles 5 after TMNT (2007) came out  :)
Then I heard they were abandoning another sequel in favour of a Michael Bay reboot  :-X
Now Bay's announced the new Turtles are going to be aliens  >:(

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GreenieGobbie/news/?a=56536

" target="_blank">Michael Bay talks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/stuffwelike

How does this man sleep at night?

Not crazy about the alien bit.

AT ALL.   >:(

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Michael Bay doesn't get it.

He doesn't get the Transformers and he won't get the Turtles.

Michelangelo Voice Actor Says Michael Bay Is "Sodomizing" The TMNT Legacy

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/20/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-michael-bay-michaelangelo-sodomizing/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#.T2iywXrUazV

QuoteThe guy who voiced Michaelangelo in the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movies is FURIOUS with Michael Bay ... claiming the director is "sodomizing" the franchise by changing "turtle" history in an upcoming flick.

The outrage stems from a comment Bay made about his upcoming live-action flick at a recent media event .... in which he said, "These turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely loveable."

Of course, TMNT fans are FLIPPING OUT ... since everyone knows the turtles mutated during a brush with radioactive ooze after falling through a sewer ... duh.

One of those pissed off fans is voice-actor Robbie Rist ... who recently posted a letter to Bay stating, "You probably don't know me but I did some voice work on the first set of movies that you are starting to talk about sodomizing."

Rist added, "I know believing in mutated talking turtles is kinda silly to begin with but am I supposed to be led to believe there are ninjas from another planet? The rape of our childhood memories continues ... "

Still, Rist tells TMZ ... "Everything I have said here could be off base and wrong ... He has made WAY more money at this than I have."

Here is an UPDATE from Bay himself which was posted on his Shoot For The Edit message boards..

Quote"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Aliens makes things "richer"? Is he going to reboot X-Men and turn them into aliens as well?
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Good on Robbie Rist! Now we just need Corey Feldman to speak up. He's not someone you'd want for an enemy  >:( No sirree.

QuoteMichael Bay doesn't get it.

He doesn't get the Transformers and he won't get the Turtles.

That's the problem with all these movies based on kids' shows from the 80s and 90s. Films like Transformers and GI Joe. They're trying to capitalise on the nostalgia of a certain generation, but it's not that generation that's making the films. The kids who grew up watching these shows in the 80s and 90s are now aged in their 20s and 30s - too young to be directing multimillion dollar film franchises. So instead we get people like Michael Bay, who really don't understand the appeal of these things to begin with, trying to twist them into something they're not.

We don't want a realistic reboot with a "richer world". We want awesome animatronic Turtle suits, well-choreographed fight scenes, embarrassingly bad jokes, and lots of late 80s/early 90s surfer lingo. We want Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady, the Technodrome and Dimension X. We want pizza, sewers, April O'Neil in a yellow jumpsuit, and a talking rat dispensing Miyagi-esque words of wisdom. We want dollops of ninja action, with a side serving of Vanilla Ice. In short, we want it to be cheesy and nostalgic. Or at least that's what i want.

What we don't want is Michael Bay, shaky cam, fake-looking CGI Turtles, Shia Labeouf, or a subplot about a teenager trying to get laid. And we certainly don't want the Turtles' origin story rewritten so they're aliens from the planet Turtletron.

Hopefully, a few years from now, we'll start getting more accurate movies based on these old franchises, made by people who grew up loving them. Until then, let's just hope Michael Bay doesn't get his mitts on Thundercats, Defenders of the Earth or Masters of the Universe.

I wonder what model will be playing April?

"Teenage MUTANT Ninja Turtles, you say?"

"Yes sir, Mr. Bay, caused by green goo, or "ooze" as some would put it."

"Make them aliens"

"Aliens? But Sir, they're Mut-"

"Look. All I know is that the Transformers are aliens. Transformers makes me money. Ergo Aliens make me money. It's what the public wants....obviously"

"So...should we change the title?"

"Change the title? Why the hell would we do that? We wouldn't want to alienate the fans now would we?"

BA DUM TSH!

What Uwe Boll is to movies based on games, Michael Bay tends to become for movies based on 80s shows. Their only difference is budget and financial success. I wonder if he even knows that the Turtles started as a comic book.

TMNT Co-Creator Peter Laird Addresses New Alien Origin

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37724

Quote"I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the 'chill pill' Mr. Bay recently suggested they take, and wait and see what might come out of this seemingly ill-conceived plan," TMNT co-creator Peter Laird wrote on his blog. "It's possible that with enough truly creative brainpower applied to this idea, it might actually work. I'm not saying it's probable, or even somewhat likely... but it IS possible."

Kevin Eastman's Rather Different Take On Michael Bay's Mutant Alien Turtle Plans

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/22/kevin-eastmans-rather-different-take-on-michael-bays-mutant-alien-turtle-plans/

QuoteHey Guys, Sorry to have been away for so long–completely swamped with work–but it is some pretty exciting stuff. I had been invited to check out the TMNT film development by my friend Scott Mednick over the years, and a while back had a full look behind the curtian at what writers Appelbaum and Nemec, director Liebesman, and producer Bay are doing–and trust me–it IS AWESOME. I'm officially on board, and will share more as I'm allowed... thanks all!

Peter Laird clarifies his opinion on Turtles/Alien Race

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/few-musings-on-turtles-as-aliens.html?showComment=1332382683485#c2667639072167014391

Quote"Did you really get out of what I wrote that I in any way, shape or form LIKE the idea of a planet of Turtles? If so, I guess I have to re-think how I express myself."

"Just so it's absolutely clear -- I think a planet of turtles is not, in and of itself, a bad idea for some kind of science fiction/fantasy story. But as a way to explain any aspect of the backstory of TMNT, I think it is awful and unnecessary."

"Of course, we have no idea at this point if the plan is to have a planet of Turtles. It's probably a good idea to wait and see."

"I don't think anyone outside of Michael Bay and the people working on this premise know exactly what he meant when he said "these Turtles are from an alien race"... and until we DO know exactly what that means, it is hard to get behind a specific argument against it."

"Also, I have to take issue, gently, with the notion that you and others have expressed, a notion summed up in your quote."

"He may have made "Transformers" movies which are not to your taste, but he hasn't turned the properties themselves into "utter crap". I have no particular interest in "Transformers", but it seems to me that -- like TMNT -- it will be around for a long time, well after Michael Bay's involvement with it is done." -- PL

And on the rumor of Krang being the villain in the upcoming film ....

Quote"Almost anything can be made to "work" in a movie... the more important question is whether it can be made to work WELL. I have a pre-exisitng antipathy toward the character of "Krang" -- I felt he was overused in the original cartoon -- so I am probably not the best person to ask this question of... because even if "Krang" could be made to work well in a new movie, I wouldn't really want to see him." -- PL