30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray

Started by DarkVengeance, Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 02:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat, 26 Jan  2019, 20:03
It extended beyond the original four films. If I remember correctly the teasers for the Nolan films were just the logo, along with Batman v Superman.
You're completely right, the Dark Knight Trilogy really capitalized on this - especially with the release of complete boxsets.

Yeah, I think we can trace that simplicity back to B89.

I'm sick to death of bat-logos used over and over again for this movie's cover. Time to open the archives of photoshoots and do some restoration. Every movie in the batman series has its own identity, why not reflect that on the covers.

So how long before street date did Warner wait for a press release announcement for Donner's superman 4k? Did they release it in the fall because of the theatrical release date or for stocking stuffer reasons? When they did 30th anniversary Beetlejuice showings they ignored that it was originally released in spring, capitalizing on spooktober, increasing the likelihood of attendance.

Quote from: Furstmobile on Tue,  5 Feb  2019, 14:55
I'm sick to death of bat-logos used over and over again for this movie's cover. Time to open the archives of photoshoots and do some restoration. Every movie in the batman series has its own identity, why not reflect that on the covers.
The original theatrical posters were intended to sell each individual movie. But generally, there isn't a consistent theme or design to tie the movie posters together.

These newer covers preserve the continuity the movies are intended to have with one another while hitting upon familiar (and popular!) iconography. It's an intelligent design choice, I'd say.

Plus, the original Burtonverse having variations on the B89 poster as their covers while the Nolan trilogy uses the BB emblem in different contexts distinguishes one movie series from the other. The respective bat-symbols look different from each other because the movies those symbols represent are separate from each other. Again, a wise design decision.

According to information over at blu-ray.com, the release date for the 4K Ultra HD of Batman 1989 will be on 6/4/19. I'm shocked that WB has yet to provide an official announcement.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

It would've been lovely if they set June 23, 2019 as the release date for the thirtieth anniversary Blu-Ray. You know, for old time's sake.

I understand why that's impossible though.

It's official!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

God it's far worse than we could've imagined. They took what they already had and somehow made it worse. This is why I hate simultaneous/box set releases, total sacrifice of identity for constancy's sake. The white skyline at the bottom of their packaging has nothing to do with the cities in any of the movies. The streaming versions at least bothered to get the Burton cities right.

Quote from: Furstmobile on Tue,  2 Apr  2019, 22:13
God it's far worse than we could've imagined. They took what they already had and somehow made it worse. This is why I hate simultaneous/box set releases, total sacrifice of identity for constancy's sake. The white skyline at the bottom of their packaging has nothing to do with the cities in any of the movies. The streaming versions at least bothered to get the Burton cities right.
I'm tired of people trying to do their take on the cover. Just put the poster on there! The DVD set from 2005 is the only set that got that right.

This is the trend right now, sadly.

Still, I don't understand why everybody is so mad about it. The actual Blu-Ray is what matters. If the cover bothers you, that's easy to fix. You can probably find (or create) a custom Blu-Ray cover lickey-split, don't have a fit.

This is good news, y'all.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Thu,  4 Apr  2019, 00:31
Quote from: Furstmobile on Tue,  2 Apr  2019, 22:13
I'm tired of people trying to do their take on the cover. Just put the poster on there! The DVD set from 2005 is the only set that got that right.
I'm more curious to see what the film looks like in 4K, considering its age. If the picture quality will be much different to the Blu-ray.