30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray

Started by DarkVengeance, Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 02:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GBglide on Sun,  5 May  2019, 01:29
Quote from: Kamdan on Sun,  5 May  2019, 01:18
Quote from: GBglide on Sun,  5 May  2019, 01:08
It wasn't "Beautiful Dreamer", I swear there was something new in there.
Was it the music you hear in the first 30 seconds here?

I think it was the part at 1:35 - 1:50.  I've never heard that part used before.

That part is heard pretty clearly in the original mix when Bruce steps out and The Joker sees him and goes "Well, Miss Vale... another rooster in the henhouse."

Just got out the screening and it was awesome! This movie has never looked this good. The cinematography not being so bright helped hide some of the special effects a bit better. When the Batmobile is driving itself you can't see a hand on the steering wheel for example. I liked the new soundtrack. I've always had a problem with how weak the guns and punches have sounded but these new effects fixed all that. Now if you're a purist you probably won't like the new mix. The only sound effects I was iffy on were the ones for the Batwing. I've always liked how quiet the Batwing was. It makes complete sense from a tactical standpoint. However, with the new sound effects it almost seems like you could hear the Batwing coming from miles away. Other than that I'm very happy with the transfer. I also liked how vibrant the Joker looked.

Quote from: Kamdan on Sun,  5 May  2019, 01:32
Quote from: GBglide on Sun,  5 May  2019, 01:29
Quote from: Kamdan on Sun,  5 May  2019, 01:18
Quote from: GBglide on Sun,  5 May  2019, 01:08
It wasn't "Beautiful Dreamer", I swear there was something new in there.
Was it the music you hear in the first 30 seconds here?

I think it was the part at 1:35 - 1:50.  I've never heard that part used before.

That part is heard pretty clearly in the original mix when Bruce steps out and The Joker sees him and goes "Well, Miss Vale... another rooster in the henhouse."

You're right, it is. But really thought I could hear it earlier. The regular Blu-Ray just has silence when Bruce is trying to explain...

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat,  4 May  2019, 23:40
Just saw the fathom event it is darker and more bluer. There is a new sound mix with alot of new modern sound effects and added sound effects. Guns now sound modern. The score was remixed and sound like lalaland but sounded good.

When you say a NEW SOUND MIX are you saying they've re-recorded new content for the film, and simply not enhanced what was already there, eg. making it sound clearer? Surely that's all they've done. Because if not, this is a huge change in the history of B89. We'd be getting into George Lucas territory.

Sun, 5 May 2019, 03:11 #74 Last Edit: Sun, 5 May 2019, 04:40 by eledoremassis02
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  5 May  2019, 02:41
Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat,  4 May  2019, 23:40
Just saw the fathom event it is darker and more bluer. There is a new sound mix with alot of new modern sound effects and added sound effects. Guns now sound modern. The sheilds on the Batmobile have an added metallic sound, spark sound effects are added in alot of places and the grappling hook has added metalic sounds and well as the Balloon Ropes when they get attached to the Batman wing (to name a few) The score was remixed and sound like lalaland but sounded good.

When you say a NEW SOUND MIX are you saying they’ve re-recorded new content for the film, and simply not enhanced what was already there, eg. making it sound clearer? Surely that’s all they’ve done. Because if not, this is a huge change in the history of B89. We’d be getting into George Lucas territory.

All the gun sounds are new, there are very few of the old sounds that can be heard. Batman has alot of cape swooshes and extra sounds to stuff that didnt have sounds before, like the photo taking "click" sound and TV buzz.

This scene has a bit more oomph too it, espeshally the second hit to the head..if someone esle posts more clips (especially with gun shots) i'll post them here
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDpmnGlrXH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Original:

Well, if that's the case, I can't say I'm on board with the decision. I think remastering should be about improving the quality of what is ALREADY THERE, not introducing original elements that have no prior history with the product in question.

Whether adding new effects is right or wrong is up for debate. However, there were a few scenes in here that were improved due to the new soundtrack. Both Axis chemicals sequences (Police Raid/Batmobile explosion) felt more intense.

Sun, 5 May 2019, 21:16 #77 Last Edit: Sun, 5 May 2019, 21:21 by Kamdan
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sun,  5 May  2019, 17:53
Whether adding new effects is right or wrong is up for debate. However, there were a few scenes in here that were improved due to the new soundtrack. Both Axis chemicals sequences (Police Raid/Batmobile explosion) felt more intense.
It's been perfectly intense to me for the last 30 years. It's really annoying how now suddenly everyone has a problem with those gunfire sound effects, complete with the ricocheting noises, all of which have been completely purged from the new sound mix. I've heard people say that it sounds too much like a cartoon. To me, it sounds like a movie and that fits the world of Batman '89 that heightened reality.

Putting in noises that are more fitting for Nolan's realistic version gives it less of a distinctive identity. You wouldn't put Dirty Harry's Magnum sound effect in The Dark Knight or hear a power loader from Aliens for Nolan's Batmobile. It was annoying how over the years Warners has tried to make Photoshopped images to make this film look more like the Nolan films. Now they've crossed a major line trying to make it sound like one.

One of the after-mentioned additions was hearing the new sounds of the Batwing. This is not a functional flying machine in real life. It's a complete fantasy that is believable in this world. For this new sound mix, they got to add new noises that take away the stealth nature the original gave it. When it crashes and burns, they had to add the sound of the engine going out, sounding as though someone had shut off a vacuum cleaner. It's just there to sell the idea that this is real. That was never a complaint from those who loved this movie for the last three decades.

Although this new sound mix is just to add a bit extra for those with the new Dolby Atmos system and we'll be able to view the film with the original sound mix when the new Blu-ray comes out, it just makes me upset that now whenever I go see this film at the theater, it's gonna be this one with the new sound. I counted this last screening as my 11th time seeing it in a theater and each time was a thrilling and euphoric experience, always reassuring me why this is my all-time favorite film. Someday the new mix might grow on me, as I had to when it came to what was done for Superman: The Movie, but 30 years of a attachment is hard to let go.

Mon, 6 May 2019, 03:34 #78 Last Edit: Mon, 6 May 2019, 04:10 by eledoremassis02
My sister accidentally recorded a part of the film, the video was black, so I synced it with youtube clips. It's just to give an idea what the new sound effects are for those who don't have screenings. I wish more clips were put onto instagram, like the new shield sounds

also as a bonus, sampling of the Laserdisc audio :D

Good work on the clips! The City Hall massacre scene reminds me that there was a bit of audio in the scene that was either extremely quiet or not even there at all in the original mix. It occurs after Knox asks Vinnie "Did you do a little time as children?" and as Vicki is prepping her camera. The new mix has more dialogue from either Vinnie or the lawyer.