30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray

Started by DarkVengeance, Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 02:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys, it's been a few years since I've frequented these forums. It may even be as long ago as 5 years ago when we were all celebrating the 25th Anniversary.  The hype for the anniversary has me very excited and I felt it was time to think about a new home video release. Ever since Warner Bros released Superman the Movie on 4K Ultra HD, we've been clamoring for them to announce a similar type release for Batman 89, come this spring. I felt they did a good job of a brand new transfer of Superman, a great new Dolby Atmos mix all with it featuring nice new packaging while skimping on giving us any new special features.

If they do a special release, what would you like to see them include?

-DV

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

The special feature is basically a defunct concept these days.

As it happens, I don't think that's necessarily bad. For one thing, what more can be said that hasn't been said already (repeatedly)?

But for two things... honestly, the older I get, the less I want to know about these things. It's enough for me to have the movie. I suppose a director's commentary might be kind of nice (although, again, we already have that with B89) but if it's not that, I couldn't care less about bonus stuff.

For my own part, this surround sound stuff is starting to get pretty ridiculous. 5.1 was one thing. And it made sense too. But then there was 5.1 EX. Then 6.1. Then 7.1. Now Atmos. It's absurd. How freaking many channels do these people need for cars blowing up?

tl;dr- Get off my lawn.

That's definitely fair Colors. Atmos is amazing in Dolby Cinema and in larger format theaters but not everyone needs that many channels on their home theater setup. Personally, I'll be happy if they give us some new packaging and a nice slipcover with brand new artwork in the vein of how Mondo handles films they're celebrating.

Some new, updated interviews would be great as would the inclusion of vintage Making of a Hero documentary that has been sorely missing from all previous home video releases. 

Welcome back, DarkVengeance!

My wish list for the 40th anniversary release is the same as it was for the 35th. More than anything, I'd like to see some deleted scenes and B-roll footage. In particular I'd love to see the deleted fight scene between Batman and Bob, since that was one of the few fights in the movie that was performed by Keaton himself as opposed to one of his stunt doubles.

It would also be nice to have some up-to-date contributions from Keaton. It's been years since I watched the special features on the old DVD release, but I remember all of his interview clips were taken from the late eighties and early nineties. I'd be keen to hear what he has to say about the film now. His experience working on other superhero-related projects like RoboCop, Birdman and the Spider-Man series might have altered his perspective since those earlier interviews were conducted. And the fact he's just made another film with Burton might've sparked some nostalgia for their previous collaborations.

The only other thing I'd like to see would be a post-Nolan retrospective examining the legacy of the 1989 film. This could highlight ways in which the movie influenced the comics, the animated series and the later films. We've already covered a lot of that stuff on these message boards, but a DVD feature on the subject would nevertheless be appreciated.

If it's going to be anything like the 25th Anniversary where it reportedly played down the film's legacy, including pricks like David Goyer dismissing the film, WB might as well not release anything. WB is a disgrace of a movie studio.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I would like to see the deleted scenes and a new interview with Michael Keaton. Those were the only things I felt were missing from earlier releases. I love the documentary that exists already.

However, I doubt we'll get anything new. We'll probably get a new 4K transfer with only the movie on that disc and the already-existing disc for standard Blu Ray. They'll throw in a Digital Copy and will probably recycle the cover art we've been getting.

Keaton did do a new interview for the 25th Anniversary "Diamond Luxe" Blu-ray, but as stated above that new documentary "Batman: The Birth of the Modern Blockbuster" was not very kind to the film in terms of its legacy. They basically made it about how it shaped the modern blockbuster but acted like the film wasn't of higher quality. It was a pretty disappointing release.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Tue,  8 Jan  2019, 22:25
Keaton did do a new interview for the 25th Anniversary "Diamond Luxe" Blu-ray, but as stated above that new documentary "Batman: The Birth of the Modern Blockbuster" was not very kind to the film in terms of its legacy. They basically made it about how it shaped the modern blockbuster but acted like the film wasn't of higher quality. It was a pretty disappointing release.
That sounds pretty predictable, actually.

When WB released those special edition DVD's of the 1989-1997 franchise back in 2005, Batman Begins had only just come out in theaters. Its immediate impact and long term legacy were unclear when those materials were assembled. And those special editions took a generally affectionate look back at all four films. Even B&R. The narrative point of view is that all four films were good faith depictions of Batman, love them or hate them.

The 2014 thing coming as it did on the heels of TDKRises, which grossed a billion... yeah, I can see where WB's company line was "Nolan good, everything else stupid".

It's condescending AF but I can see where it makes sense to some jerkface at WB.

Please give us a release with the ORIGINAL poster on the cover, and the original font for the title. This film has one of the greatest movie posters ever made and it's disheartening to see it get replaced by a photoshopped copy.

There are so many deleted scenes and alternative takes filmed that should be included in a new release.  Now is as good a time as any.
I'd also like to see the previous documentaries in HD as apposed to SD.