Batman ---- 15 Certificate in the UK

Started by DallyWhitty, Sun, 21 Dec 2008, 17:40

Previous topic - Next topic
On the back cover of the new Blu-Ray release, it reads "15 - Contains moderate violence." Yet the uncut version of Forever also contains moderate violence, but was given a 12 certificate by the BBFC.

What do you think pushed the first film out of the 12 category and into the 15 one? Personally, I think the bloody violence at the end may have had something to do with it.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.

A bit of history.

When B89 came out, it was unlike any film before - a film with violence and dark themes that would attract a younger audience.

The BBFC, the body that reviews and rates movies to be fit for viewing for different age groups in the UK, was going to give B89 a 15 rating due to the violence and scared(Alicia)/burnt(Rotelli) bodies but decided to create a 12 rating for the cinema release - probably due to outside pressure.

When the video was released the original 15 rating was held up (12 for videos was not introduced until 1994-ish).

Batman Returns received a 12 rating in cinemas and and a 15 rating for the video release.

Any time a video is released in the UK with changes it must be re-submitted to the BBFC.

The last time this happened was in 2995 for the special edition DVDs.  Strangely, B89 kept the 15 rating but Returns was downgraded to a 12.

You may also notice that Batman Forever's DVD was put from a PG to a 12 due to the special features.

I wish I still had the newspaper article from 1989 that explained why B89 had been given a 15 but it was to do with the aforementioned.

Quote from: raleagh on Sun, 21 Dec  2008, 23:21
The BBFC was going to give B89 a 15 rating due to the violence and scarred(Alicia)/burnt(Rotelli) bodies but decided to create a 12 rating for the cinema release - probably due to outside pressure.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't aware of this.

You may also notice that Batman Forever's DVD was put from a PG to a 12 due to the special features.

Wasn't the rating put up to a 12 because the uncut version had been submitted?

I don't understand why, although Returns became a 12, the overall DVD certificate is a 15. If I recall correctly, BBFC's website had the music featurette listed as the reason, yet none of the content in that video screams "MUST BE 15" to me.

Quote from: DallyWhitty on Sun, 21 Dec  2008, 23:31

Wasn't the rating put up to a 12 because the uncut version had been submitted?

Ah right you are - curse my half-arsed research!

Also on Returns - yes, the overall DVD was a 15 due to Elfman's feature.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008, 15:14 #4 Last Edit: Mon, 22 Dec 2008, 20:09 by batass4880
Yeah, why was Elfman's featurette rated 15? Is it because he said he liked it when Batman licked his lips after Catwoman licked him? I was 12 when I first saw the movie and I liked it too!

If that's the case, then the BBFC are very odd. Maybe Warner Bros payed the BBFC to keep the certificate up for the sake of its reputation of a mature film.  :P

BR Bluray came today (delay on the B89 though  :'( ) and is a 15 certificate -BUT - It finally has the microwave scene restored. Thought the UK BR fans would like to know.
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

its true that the BD version of "Batman Forever" will be the director's cut?... if it's true that would be excellent!!! :o

Was the microwave scene removed when the movie was in theaters back in '92?

Quote from: PJ on Mon, 22 Dec  2008, 20:52
BR Bluray came today (delay on the B89 though  :'( ) and is a 15 certificate -BUT - It finally has the microwave scene restored. Thought the UK BR fans would like to know.
Seriously? That's fantastic! I hate to sound so over-excited, bt I'll finally be able to see the film uncut. Now I need a HD TV, a cable and a PS3 console . . .