Recent posts

I completely relate to Miller's mindset here.

QuoteThen a really strange thing happened to me. All of the sudden I realized I was about to turn 29 years old, Batman's age. Then I realized I was one year away from turning older than Batman. The more this year went on the more it bothered me that I might be older than him. So finally I [decided] to fix that, and make him older than me once and for all. So I conceived of a story where Batman was at the impossibly old age of 50.

Mixed in with this I'm not interested in the younger generation or appealing to them at all. My focus is on the people I grew up with, the journey we're on and what's happening with us now. The reality of getting older I suppose, but indeed, these feelings clicked in hard for me recently.
Movies / Re: Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2...
Last post by The Dark Knight - Today at 09:34
The way Keatonjuice behaves in a sleazy manner completes the idea of the character rather than smoothing it off. He's a dead hobo/used car salesman who talks how he looks, while he's smoking, spitting in his jacket and eating bugs. He can help out but you only want it as a last resort. In my opinion the character should be fun to the audience but have an edge that makes characters standoffish.
Last post by thecolorsblend - Today at 04:06
A lot of my opinions about the first Beetlejuice film are colored by the circumstances under which I saw it in theaters. And it would be fair to say that they were less than ideal.

Without turning this post into a blog, I'll say that I saw it with a friend, his brother and his mom. His mom absolutely hated my guts and only took me along to the movie reluctantly. In retrospect, I'm not 100% sure she didn't abuse me or her sons.

Actually seeing the movie was fine on its own merits. I enjoyed the production design and gothy Winona Ryder. But I always believed the first Ghostbusters film provided a far superior mix of authentic horror and genuine comedy than Beetlejuice. The characters never made a huge impression on me and I don't recall watching much of the animated series precisely because of the fact that I wasn't overly taken by the film.

I liked the mythology of the film. The rules the ghosts had to live by, the Handbook For The Recently Deceased and those things. But the movie didn't explore that stuff to the degree that I might've preferred.

All in all, I'll probably check out the sequel. Burton seems to be getting his old groove back, I don't know how many more films Keaton realistically has in him, Winona Ryder is back to her goth ways and I've always admired Gough & Millar's ability to drill down to the core truth of their characters.

But I don't seem to be experiencing the same level of anticipation that others are. And not for the first time, I've been wondering what those people see in the first film that I'm simply missing.
Movies / Re: Matrix 4 Coming Soon
Last post by thecolorsblend - Today at 04:00
I suppose my way of seeing things is the original film is a classic of sci-fi. But aside from the pitch perfect Hero's Journey that Neo goes on, the first film incorporates a variety of influences. A general sci-fi genre, a cyberpunk style, occasional noir aesthetics, wire-fu and probably other cinematic influences that I'm forgetting. A bit of body horror too, I would suggest.

The second and third either work for you or they don't. But either way, there's no denying that they suffered for abandoning the mood and atmosphere of the original.

The fourth one... yeah.

So, what's left for a fifth one? Resurrection was somewhat a retread of the first one. But not totally. I suppose you could do a more nostalgia-minded film for those of us with fond memories of 1999. But this franchise seems to be creatively spent. And it's arguable how much of its potential was ever fully realized.

For comparison, say whatever you want about the Terminator franchise. But between various films, TV shows and comic books, that rather limited concept was FULLY explored. Perhaps to its own detriment. But fully explored nevertheless.

After all this time and only one bona fide classic movie, I think it's only fair to ask if the time for The Matrix has come and gone.
Misc. Burton / Re: Oscars 2024 with Michael K...
Last post by The Joker - Yesterday at 23:41
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 11 Mar  2024, 22:14This also appeals to my headcanon, wherein Keaton's Batman defeated Mr. Freeze.

I saw this piece on X, and couldn't help but think of your comment.

Graphic Novels / Re: The Dark Knight Returns
Last post by The Joker - Yesterday at 23:39

From 1999, Wizard Magazine takes a quick look back at "The Dark Knight Returns".

Last post by Silver Nemesis - Yesterday at 21:37
Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 25 May  2024, 00:09Fun trailer! Going off the latest trailer, this does very much appear to be taking the "Ghostbusters 2" route, in that the sequel is apparently taking a lot of inspiration from the Beetlejuice animated series from the early '90's. Which isn't entirely a bad thing, but I would gage that making Beetlejuice something of a comedic anti-hero is going to bring a new dichotomy for a whole lot of people, who only are familiar with the 1988 film. Where Beetlejuice was decidedly a villain, and only briefly in the movie itself (12-15 minutes? Something like that).

I liked the Beetlejuice cartoon when I was a kid. Back then I used to collect the action figures and colouring-in books. When I finally saw the movie I was disappointed by how different it was to the cartoon, and in particular how different Beetlejuice himself was. I think that's why I've never loved Beetlejuice as much as Burton's other early films.

I like the energy Keaton brings to his performance, but I've never liked the sleazier characterisation of the live action Beetlejuice when compared to his animated counterpart. The cartoon built on the film's mythology and improved it, making Beetlejuice funnier and more likeable while still retaining his mad anarchic creepiness from the source movie. So I hope the sequel does take some cues from the TV show. That would only be a good thing in my book.
Movies / Re: Matrix 4 Coming Soon
Last post by The Joker - Yesterday at 21:22

Some interesting points made by the youtuber's video, and of course I'd be more than happy with Monica Bellucci returning! However, if a hypothetical "Matrix 5" actually goes into production, I really can't envision whatever this pitch for another Matrix sequel was (and it MUST have been one hell of a pitch!), regarding events in "Resurrections" all that much, if really at all. Sure, maybe some sort of passing reference or whatever, but that's about it given it's exceptionally poor reception.

If anything, I have to assume this pitch is something of a rebound to the first "Matrix", which is considered a modern classic. With possibly select character's from "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" returning in some capacity. It's conceivable there's something palpable with something like that. Incorporate what worked, take the very best characters, and forget the rest.

Make a comeback that's actually worthy of something like the Matrix this time.
Other comics / Re: Superman 80th Anniversary ...
Last post by Silver Nemesis - Yesterday at 21:18
I always wondered about Cain's longer hair in those early episodes, and whether it was the show reflecting the comics or vice versa. For most of L&C's run Clark sported a shorter neatly-cropped haircut, but in the earlier episodes he clearly sports a longer more casual hairstyle.

Was the decision to shorten his hair intended to make Clark look more nerdy/square? Perhaps. But shorter hair also has the effect of making a man's head appear smaller, which in turn makes his body look bigger. Bodybuilders and wrestlers often shave their heads for that reason. Tom Hardy did so when he played Bane in TDKR.

Cain's physique is noticeably different in season 1 than in the other seasons. He's in great shape throughout the series, but in s1 he has a leaner more athletic body shape, whereas in s2-4 he has a more powerfully-built jacked look that's closer to Cavill's physique. Maybe the shorter haircut, like the bulkier physique and altered costume, was a deliberate change to make him appear less boyish and more masculine like the comic book Superman. If so, I'd say it worked.

As for Superman's longer hair in the comics, I thought it looked good with the black suit during the Reign of the Supermen arc, but once he got back in the classic blue and red outfit it looked out of place.

Misc Comics / Re: Happy 75th Anniversary to ...
Last post by The Joker - Yesterday at 20:29
From 1979, the 40th anniversary of Batman. Back cover by Dick Giordano for Detective Comics #483.

Another from 1979, back cover for Detective Comics #484 by Jim Aparo.