Could the film have worked better if

Started by Andrew, Sun, 13 Dec 2020, 19:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 23 Feb  2022, 02:06
I have a similar criticism when it comes to Riddler and Two-Face being the same comic relief archetype in BF. I believe BF would've been much better if Two-Face was a serious villain, and was the complete opposite of the much more comical Riddler. We know why the reaction to BR was a response to making Two-Face and Riddler the way they were, but I've no doubt BF would've been better off if only one of the villains were comic relief.

Yeah, agreed.

Two-Face could have easily been portrayed as more the "straight man", as compared to Carrey's Riddler, and the comedic possibilities would still be available if Schumacher wanted to, while already in production, amp up the humor.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 24 Feb  2022, 05:03
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 23 Feb  2022, 02:06
I have a similar criticism when it comes to Riddler and Two-Face being the same comic relief archetype in BF. I believe BF would've been much better if Two-Face was a serious villain, and was the complete opposite of the much more comical Riddler. We know why the reaction to BR was a response to making Two-Face and Riddler the way they were, but I've no doubt BF would've been better off if only one of the villains were comic relief.

Yeah, agreed.

Two-Face could have easily been portrayed as more the "straight man", as compared to Carrey's Riddler, and the comedic possibilities would still be available if Schumacher wanted to, while already in production, amp up the humor.

As of late, I think Shumachers biggest gift and curse was the amount of freedom of expression and laid back atmosphere he gave his actors. Carrey was hired to be Carrey, so that can't be helped, but someone needed to tell Tommy Lee Jones to cool it. Two-Face being the straight man (and holding the darker story line together) would of saved the film from alot of its missgivings.

I don't blame Jones. We all know he's more than capable of playing serious roles, he was simply following directions on how to play Two-Face. Schumacher was once quoted saying "if you don't like it, blame the director" in regards to B&R, but when you read into the studio's agenda of making Batman lighter, Schumacher might only deserved to be blamed for being a company man. I don't think making the film toyetic was his idea. The same could be said for making Two-Face a goofy villain.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei