Post Flash era

Started by eledoremassis02, Thu, 22 Apr 2021, 01:42

Previous topic - Next topic
Do you think these films will become forgotten once Keaton returns to the big screen and essentially becomes part of the DCEU and essentially wipe these off the timeline?

As much as there arent the Burton films I do hold some nostalgia for them (mostly forever) and Forever is at least gaining/has a following.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Thu, 22 Apr  2021, 01:42
Do you think these films will become forgotten once Keaton returns to the big screen and essentially becomes part of the DCEU and essentially wipe these off the timeline?

As much as there arent the Burton films I do hold some nostalgia for them (mostly forever) and Forever is at least gaining/has a following.
I hope not. They may be for a while. Every era has its turn though. They did tease in the trailer at DC Fandom that these films exist, and not only that, they also intimated that Forever is separate even from & Robin, which I like. I've come to love Forever. Poor Val, though. He's healthy, but fragile and his poor voice will preclude any appearances. It's all on the table. Keaton opens the door and I say if Val can and wants to, bring him in. It can happen. We know that now.

I think the Schumacher films are too memorable to be completely forgotten, even if they're only spoken about in negative terms. Everything was stable (supporting cast, composer, director) except the lead actor, but that's a huge factor in audience connection. Keaton did two consecutive films, which was just enough to create a true and consistent era. I have nothing against the Schumacher timeline but I'm glad it's being ignored in The Flash. It's easier to build something from the original and pure B89/BR foundations in comparison to the Kilmer-Clooney musical chairs.

I like the stunt-casting of Keaton. But if I'm being honest, I don't see it lasting very long. For openers, Keaton is no spring chicken. I adore him in the role. But there's only so much he's rly capable of these days.

Second, one Batman is already established with Affleck. But who can even say what his future might be?

Third, Pattinson's Batman is on the come. He won a lot of good will with that little teaser that came out a while back. Rumors about being a diva might be interesting to joke about here. But to all outward appearances, he's shaping up to be a serious contender.

I think the bottom line here is too many things are up in the air at the moment to make definitive claims.

How much stunt work did Keaton really do in his prime? I'm not sure being 70 years old changes much from that perspective. Just give me at least one action scene (preferably which starts with him driving the Batmobile) and some stuff inside the batcave and Wayne Manor, and I'll be content.

I think Pattinson is a sleeping giant. Things are quiet now, but his time is coming. I'll never forget the feeling that trailer gave me. It was mysterious, exciting and felt like nothing else I'd seen from the franchise up until that point, even if all the usual iconography was there. Pattinson and the film just need to keep the spirit of that trailer going and they'll succeed.   

Schumacher's films are remembered to this day, both positively and negatively. I highly doubt people are suddenly going to forget about them just because they've been officially retconned out of the Burtonverse.

If I do have any concerns about Keaton, it's what if he turns out badly in The Flash? I've got a lot of skepticism with that production nowadays because of how Warner Butchers might tamper with the Snyderverse characters, but Keaton's Batman should certainly NOT be f***ed with.

You'd think it would be an easy task for such a beloved portrayal to return in all his glory after such a decades-long absence...but that's what we all thought with Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker and look how that turned out. Even if it doesn't get to that extent, I'd be very disappointed if Keaton were to get the same treatment as John Wesley Shipp did when he returned as the 1990s Barry Allen for those CW crossovers for a total screentime of, what...eight minutes? And we're supposed to be impressed with that, together with the shoehorned adaptation of Flash's sacrifice from the 1985 COIE comics? No thanks. If Keaton's Batman gets the "subverted expectations" treatment, I'd definitely long for BF and wished they'd leave the timeline alone.

Of course, I'm only thinking about the worst-case scenario. Most likely, any negative scenario with The Flash won't involve Keaton at all, and he should be one of the highlights of that film. But who knows with Hollywood?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 22 Apr  2021, 12:58Schumacher's films are remembered to this day, both positively and negatively. I highly doubt people are suddenly going to forget about them just because they've been officially retconned out of the Burtonverse.

If I do have any concerns about Keaton, it's what if he turns out badly in The Flash? I've got a lot of skepticism with that production nowadays because of how Warner Butchers might tamper with the Snyderverse characters, but Keaton's Batman should certainly NOT be f***ed with.

You'd think it would be an easy task for such a beloved portrayal to return in all his glory after such a decades-long absence...but that's what we all thought with Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker and look how that turned out. Even if it doesn't get to that extent, I'd be very disappointed if Keaton were to get the same treatment as John Wesley Shipp did when he returned as the 1990s Barry Allen for those CW crossovers for a total screentime of, what...eight minutes? And we're supposed to be impressed with that, together with the shoehorned adaptation of Flash's sacrifice from the 1985 COIE comics? No thanks. If Keaton's Batman gets the "subverted expectations" treatment, I'd definitely long for BF and wished they'd leave the timeline alone.

Of course, I'm only thinking about the worst-case scenario. Most likely, any negative scenario with The Flash won't involve Keaton at all, and he should be one of the highlights of that film. But who knows with Hollywood?
To the degree that I've kept up with the Arrowverse, it seems like Shipp's Flash was basically eliminated so that Gustin's Flash is the only Flash around. I get the same vibe from Miller's COIE cameo. Obviously, his disappearance didn't completely take. But the effort was made.

The other Supermen shown in COIE were largely eliminated to make Hoechlin's mediocre version the only version. The bit with Routh is ambiguous but you could read it as his version flying off into the sunset following the destruction of the multiverse. Smallville's Superman, don't even get me started.

All this is to say that the trend appears to be clearing the decks so that some new version of a given character is the ONLY version. And for as excited as I might be about Pattinson, Keaton will always be the founder of the Batman feast for me. I don't particularly want The Flash movie to wipe Keaton and Affleck's versions of the characters out. And I'll be a little furious if that's what happens.

But actors love dramatic death scenes (hell, Shipp has had at least two in the Arrowverse) so it's reasonable to suggest that Keaton and Affleck may not see this matter the same way we do.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 22 Apr  2021, 17:48
To the degree that I've kept up with the Arrowverse, it seems like Shipp's Flash was basically eliminated so that Gustin's Flash is the only Flash around. I get the same vibe from Miller's COIE cameo. Obviously, his disappearance didn't completely take. But the effort was made.

The other Supermen shown in COIE were largely eliminated to make Hoechlin's mediocre version the only version. The bit with Routh is ambiguous but you could read it as his version flying off into the sunset following the destruction of the multiverse. Smallville's Superman, don't even get me started.

All this is to say that the trend appears to be clearing the decks so that some new version of a given character is the ONLY version.

There was a rumour going around earlier this year that Warner Butchers were looking to the Arrowverse model to make their DC film adaptations, even going so far as to contact Greg Berlanti for advice. If that's so then your observation is correct. And if that's so, no thank you. Berlanti and co should never have expanded the Arrowverse beyond Arrow and The Flash, and the only other DC live-action credentials he has was producing the 2011 Green Lantern film. Again, if it's not producing cheap television that's incapable of pulling off the ambition it aims for, it's producing formulaic origin story stuff.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 22 Apr  2021, 17:48
Keaton will always be the founder of the Batman feast for me. I don't particularly want The Flash movie to wipe Keaton and Affleck's versions of the characters out. And I'll be a little furious if that's what happens.

But actors love dramatic death scenes (hell, Shipp has had at least two in the Arrowverse) so it's reasonable to suggest that Keaton and Affleck may not see this matter the same way we do.

There have been a lot of rumours surrounding the fate of Keaton and Affleck's Batmen over the past year. We've gone from hearing Keaton and Affleck potentially getting their own Batman projects on HBO Max, to Keaton only playing Bruce Wayne going forward and Affleck facing a similar fate to Shipp's Barry in The Flash movie. And it goes back and forth.

As I said before, I don't have any faith in Warner judging by their mistreatment of their directors and actors in recent times. But at the same time, I'm struggling to believe that Affleck would come into The Flash with the intention of having his Batman killed off. The fact he came back to do additional photography for ZSJL and filmed that brand new Knightmare sequence shows he has affection for the story arc that Snyder was building. If his Batman dies, it really should be in JL3 as it was intended, not in The Flash. But if he does die in the latter, my only guess is it could be Affleck has had enough of Warner's nonsense and he wants to make sure his character gets a conclusion, Snyderverse or not. Other than that, I don't know.

Frankly, I think it's extremely moronic if either Affleck or Keaton (or God forbid, both) get killed off and AT&T passes the opportunity in producing both actors' potential Batman spin-offs. Those actors headlining their own mini-series or films as HBO Max Originals would do wonders for that streaming service, which could definitely use more new content to compete with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+. Even if it's only a one-off for each would be a massive hit among subscribers.

Killing both off would make zero business sense, and again, it would show the multiverse they promoted at DC FanDome last year is under false pretenses. Adopt the concept properly, or don't do it at all. I'm not interested in propping up only one live-action Batman to suit some corrupt studio's self-serving agenda.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There's just too many times where BF and B&R are brought up in articles/blogs/videos on a fairly frequent basis for them to ever really truly be forgotten about.

The general perception, for the time being, is that both Schumacher films are typically held in low regard. However, if history has proven anything, is that the pendulum can easily swing the other direction. The Adam West series, for instance, was usually scoffed at for decades following B89. That is no longer the case. The Burton films, were oftentimes trashed, especially so, during the Nolan Dark Knight era. That perception has lightened up considerably since.

Plus, yeah, that nostalgia factor is indeed something to consider. In the summer of 1995, Batman Forever was something special. Out of the two Schumacher Batman films, I think BF was, and is the everlasting heartbeat of that more breezier interpretation of Batman for sure.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 22 Apr  2021, 01:59
They did tease in the trailer at DC Fandom that these films exist, and not only that, they also intimated that Forever is separate even from & Robin, which I like.

If it's true that the Schmacher films don't occur in the same universe, I guess people can now say Two-Face is alive in B&R.