Another villain (what if)

Started by Andrew, Sun, 13 Dec 2020, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic
What if Rene Auberjonois, seen very briefly as Arkham's Dr. Burton in BF, had actually played Jonathan Crane/the Scarecrow in a Schumacher film? Instead of one of the villains in BF or B&R or in a fifth film?

The studio and Schumacher might have preferred a big-name star as a villain but I think Auberjonois could have played Scarecrow well, in either a somewhat goofy or more dark version. Scarecrow does seem fitting for a late-teen/early adult Robin, let alone if a fifth film did have Dick Grayson in college.

Yeah, I think the studio's track record at the time would've continued hiring another big name star to play an iconic villain. If it was between Rene Auberjonois and Jeff Goldblum for the Scarecrow, no doubt they would've gone for Goldblum because of his pedigree in playing eccentric scientists.

But yes, I could see Auberjonois playing the Scarecrow. One might say his Dr. Burton look in BF would have been a good start to work with. Model him a little bit like a meek, social outcast like in Year One Batman 1995 Annual #19 and it might've worked. Minus the exaggerated Scarecrow-like physique, of course, that would be impossible.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I have this vague memory of thinking Rene Auberjonois WAS Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow when I first saw Batman Forever as a kid back in 1995. Apparently, I was too caught up in the visuals, and/or didn't hear or notice him being referred to as Dr. Burton, but I do recall thinking that for a little while.

Course, I do remember very clearly seeing BF three times in the theaters, so I am sure that case of mistaken identity was cleared up a week or so later.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."