Fighting Style of the Schumacher Batman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 30 Mar 2019, 23:33

Previous topic - Next topic
Since I'm revisiting threads tonight, this seems like a good thing to come back to.

I critiqued Kilmer's Batman. And now, I think I might have been too hasty. In the opening elevator battle, Kilmer waits for a knife-wielding assailant to charge him, dodges at the last minute and then immobilizes his attacker by tossing him into another attacker being perpetually tazed. Later, Kilmer crashes Nigma's party and fights Two-Faces goons. Another knife-wielding opponent attacks him so he lays the attacker out with one kick. Lastly, Robin gets ambushed underwater and Batman immobilizes the attackers with a net.

The common element in all of these is that Kilmer's Batman identifies a weakness in his attacker, exploits it and then moves ahead without really finishing that attacker off.

That's a very effective fighting skill. Used properly, it would be utterly devestating.

How would that help with a battle against Ra's? Honestly, I'm not sure that it would. Or could.

But against Nolan's Bane with his mask's vulnerability, if Kilmer spots the weakness early on and then exploits it, that could end the fight right there. Perhaps a fast strike to Bane's mask joints. Or, if weapons are permitted, some type of tear gas. The common factor here is that I think Kilmer might be sly enough to find a creative way of exploiting Bane's vulnerability.

For example, the first TDKRises battle took place in Bane's sewer hideout with water flowing all over the place. What if Kilmer lured Bane into standing water that would slow Bane down? That would help. What if Kilmer then forced Bane's head underwater? I doubt Bane's mask has an easy and fast way of clearing water blockages.

The point is that, upon reflection, Kilmer's actual strength in combat is finding ways to NOT have long, drawn out battles with his opponents. His talent appears to be occasionally finding quick and efficient ways of disabling attackers. If he relies on that rather than exhausting, flashy flips and spin-kicks, he might be able to go to defeat Nolan's Bane. But the key to that would be finding a way to NOT go the distance with Bane but instead find a way to immobilize him early and quickly.

Frankly, that could be the only way Kilmer's Batman survives a fight with the Hardy Bane.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 20 Mar  2020, 05:07
The point is that, upon reflection, Kilmer's actual strength in combat is finding ways to NOT have long, drawn out battles with his opponents. His talent appears to be occasionally finding quick and efficient ways of disabling attackers. If he relies on that rather than exhausting, flashy flips and spin-kicks, he might be able to go to defeat Nolan's Bane. But the key to that would be finding a way to NOT go the distance with Bane but instead find a way to immobilize him early and quickly.

By all accounts Gotham's criminals had genuine fear for Kilmerman, case in point gliding down and scattering the neon gang. One of my favorite scenes from ANY of the films, by the way. If Kilmerman took on Nolan's Bane ideally I'd have him wearing the sonar suit, especially AFTER turning off the lights as Baleman did. That window of opportunity would be his best chance at winning.