Favourite Schumacher Batsuit?

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 2 Feb 2017, 22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the four costumes Batman wears in the Joel Schumacher films, which do you like the best?

Of the Schumacher era, most people love the panther suit. My fav is the sonar - it looks good and is a better fit with the film's look.

I also like Robin's suit.

I prefer the BF Robin suit to the B&R costume.

The B&R suit is fine, but it's too Nightwing for my tastes.

I prefer Kilmer's sonar suit.

In terms of Robin's suit, I can't help but feel I like the Nightwing-looking suit in B&R. It fitted Dick Grayson's rebellious nature in that film, a symbol in trying to shed away from his sidekick identity.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 11 Feb  2017, 05:24I prefer Kilmer's sonar suit.

In terms of Robin's suit, I can't help but feel I like the Nightwing-looking suit in B&R. It fitted Dick Grayson's rebellious nature in that film, a symbol in trying to shed away from his sidekick identity.
Interesting take.

I simply viewed it as Dick asserting his individuality. He obviously wasn't really involved with the creation of his Robin outfit in BF. But after BF, he'd be able to design something a bit more in line with his own ideas.

What's really weird is how reviled B&R is... and yet how influential it's been with Nightwing's look.

I like both BF suits.  Don't like the B&R suits at all, though. 

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri,  3 Feb  2017, 21:48
In light of Clooney apparently not filming anything with Arnold, I quote the above GIF.

Some random set extra holding onto the gun and not Conan himself?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 11 Jan  2021, 03:50
In light of Clooney apparently not filming anything with Arnold, I quote the above GIF.

His stunt double in that movie (all his movies?) looks ridiculously similar to him in the Freeze make up. The camera could've panned right over his face in the movie and most people might not have noticed it was the stunt double.

And it makes sense, the makeup job was a multi-hour ordeal so it's possible that Schwarzenegger stipulated that he would only be filmed when he was actually speaking to lessen the number of hours he had to sit on set in full makeup doing nothing.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 11 Jan  2021, 03:50

Looking at Batman's dynamic body language there, I doubt that's even Clooney in the suit. Most of the costumed scenes were probably filmed with stand-ins and stunt doubles, with Arnold and George reserved for just the close-up shots. Remember our site interview with Mac McDonald, where he said he spent most of his time on the 1989 film working with Jack's stand-in rather than Nicholson himself? It seems the bigger the star's salary, the less actual work they have to do.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 11 Jan  2021, 04:34His stunt double in that movie (all his movies?) looks ridiculously similar to him in the Freeze make up. The camera could've panned right over his face in the movie and most people might not have noticed it was the stunt double.

And it makes sense, the makeup job was a multi-hour ordeal so it's possible that Schwarzenegger stipulated that he would only be filmed when he was actually speaking to lessen the number of hours he had to sit on set in full makeup doing nothing.

Schwarzenegger's main stunt double during his heyday was Canadian actor Peter Kent, who stood in for him on fourteen of his movies, including classics like Terminator 1 & 2, Commando, Predator and Total Recall. Kent's something of an action movie legend in his own right and is an inductee of the Hollywood Stuntmen's Hall of Fame. With the right hair and makeup, he looked remarkably like Arnold.

But apparently Kent didn't work on Batman & Robin, since he'd quit being Arnold's stunt double a year earlier after he was almost killed on the set of Eraser. Instead the IMDb lists a whole bunch of different people as being Arnold's stand-ins and stunt doubles on B&R. I suppose with the heavy makeup and bulky costume obscuring his features and body shape, it was less important to have someone who closely resembled him.

Peter Kent did however appear in another DC production, playing Spencer Spencer's henchman Klavel in the Lois & Clark episode 'Ordinary People'.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 11 Jan  2021, 19:45
Looking at Batman's dynamic body language there, I doubt that's even Clooney in the suit. Most of the costumed scenes were probably filmed with stand-ins and stunt doubles, with Arnold and George reserved for just the close-up shots. Remember our site interview with Mac McDonald, where he said he spent most of his time on the 1989 film working with Jack's stand-in rather than Nicholson himself? It seems the bigger the star's salary, the less actual work they have to do.
You're probably right.

In recent days I've been reevaluating B&R - focusing on what I like rather than what I dislike. I think Riddler still has the top spot in the Schumacher villain department. But I really like Ivy, and think the dynamic between her, Freeze and Bane is stronger than Riddler and Two-Face.

I also think Arnold gave a rather undervalued performance. The Freeze puns are always the focus, but I like the suit and makeup. Mixed in with his muscular build, he looks intimidating. The Freeze gun effects were well done, and it's cool he had a custom vehicle of his own. The Heart of Ice elements give things a degree of poignancy.  In any case, nobody can say he wasn't memorable.