Burton had lunch with Alan Moore pre-Batman 89?

Started by Azrael, Sat, 21 Mar 2009, 21:40

Previous topic - Next topic
I was reading an old article and came upon this

QuoteBack in the late 1980s, Tim Burton took Moore to lunch to pick his brains about making the first Batman movie. Moore's advice was "get Gotham City right".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2002/feb/02/sciencefictionfantasyandhorror.books

Is this true?

Wow, great find.

I would reckon that this would be a true story since the article centers around an interview with Moore himself. 
Burton was, of course, a big fan of Moore's work and I think Moore's take on Gotham, as described in the Killing Joke script, is pretty close to Burton's:
http://fourcolorheroes.home.insightbb.com/killingjokescript.html
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I've never read one of his scripts before, fantastic! Yeah, it seems that his vision of the city isn't far from the designs in the film, when it comes to the surrealist nightrmare mood  :) I loved the reference to Dr. Caligari.

That MUST be a lie. Don't forget, Burton didn't do a single bit of research to get the movie made right. 9_9
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sun, 22 Mar  2009, 07:51
That MUST be a lie. Don't forget, Burton didn't do a single bit of research to get the movie made right. 9_9

Wait until those naysayers read this. :D

It wouldn't suprise me if they did have a disscussion together. You must remember that Moore was very enthusiastic about the Batman film, because he thought it was the first comic adaptaion that got it right. That's why Sam Hamm was hired to do the script for Watchmen and when he read it, it completly crushed his optimism, which is why he's such a hard ass on his film adaptations of his books. I can't blame him. Just read the begining of Hamm's script. A TOTAL departure from the book.

I wouldn't be surprised too. Burton said the Killing Joke is his favorite Batman story, so probaly he and Moore had some talk in the past.
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

That's interesting.

If that DID actually happen, that's great. And come to think of it, I think on one of the featurettes found on the 1989 SE states that Burton did infact walk around with a copy of "The Killing Joke" telling fans that his film would look more akin to TKJ, than the 1960's tv show.

Which was obviously a huge concern at the time.

Oh, to evesdrop on that conversation ....  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

this is really interesting never heard about this before.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.