"Gotham City..... It always brings a smile to my face."

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Tue, 27 Jan 2009, 16:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 27 Jan 2009, 16:00 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Feb 2011, 20:31 by THE BAT-MAN
"Here I am at Pinewood Studios in England looking at Gotham City transpose from my hometown of New York.  When I was just a kid growing up in New York City walking in the mean streets of Manhattan I envisioned Gotham the way I see it now at Pinewood.  They got every brick, and every building, and cornerstone here.  Its just Marvelous!"   

Bob Kane

Great quote of Mr. Kane! I wish know what he would think of Nolan's take on Batman. ;D
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

It would have been interesting to hear what Kane would have said about Nolan's Gotham, but if he loved Burton's vision so much it would be hard to see him actually rank another Gotham environment the same or even better.

When I saw Kane's set visit on the Batman SE dvd, it brought a smile from ear to ear on my face. To see the creator of Batman inside his creation of Gotham city, it's a great lasting moment and I don't think he will ever forget it.

Quote from: Grissom on Thu, 29 Jan  2009, 13:45
It would have been interesting to hear what Kane would have said about Nolan's Gotham, but if he loved Burton's vision so much it would be hard to see him actually rank another Gotham environment the same or even better.

I'm sure Bob Kane would have praised Nolan's vision, and whatever else. I just cannot for the life of me see him speaking ill of the current franchise in any way, shape, or form.

I remember watching the Premiere of Batman Forever on E! with Kane praising Schumacher's take, and how it wasnt as "dark" as the other two, and his excitement over a (at the time) new Batman, Val Kilmer.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 30 Jan  2009, 04:01
I'm sure Bob Kane would have praised Nolan's vision, and whatever else. I just cannot for the life of me see him speaking ill of the current franchise in any way, shape, or form.
I remember watching the Premiere of Batman Forever on E! with Kane praising Schumacher's take, and how it wasnt as "dark" as the other two, and his excitement over a (at the time) new Batman, Val Kilmer.

Kane was being professional. He said the same thing about Keaton & Clooney. IMO, I'm sure he liked Burton's films the best b/c they kept the balance of realistic & fictional elements intact, just like the "Dark Knight" vision Kane & Bill Finger had back in 1939. I also think he liked Keaton the best b/c he's the only actor to play the true Bruce/Batman in live action.

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Fri, 30 Jan  2009, 04:06
Kane was being professional. He said the same thing about Keaton & Clooney. IMO, I'm sure he liked Burton's films the best b/c they kept the balance of realistic & fictional elements intact, just like the "Dark Knight" vision Kane & Bill Finger had back in 1939. I also think he liked Keaton the best b/c he's the only actor to play the true Bruce/Batman in live action.

I'm sure Kane enjoyed every version of Batman to be perfectly honest. From the serials to Adam West to Burton to Schumacher. To have the character go from the comic book, newspaper strip, guest spot appearances on Superman's radio show, Saturday afternoon Serials, a very popular Adam West tv show, a number of animated efforts, and popular big budget live action films is a beautiful thing. And I'm sure he liked them all to a certain degree.

And as much of a fan as Kane may have been of Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney as Batman, after reading his book "Batman & Me", it certainly seems like he was more of a fan of Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

I certainly cant blame him for that.  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Fri, 30 Jan 2009, 04:22 #6 Last Edit: Fri, 30 Jan 2009, 04:26 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 30 Jan  2009, 04:19
And as much of a fan as Kane may have been of Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney as Batman, after reading his book "Batman & Me", it certainly seems like he was more of a fan of Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

I certainly cant blame him for that.  ;D

Who on Earth would not love Nicholson's Joker!? I mean, just look at him in BATMAN. HE IS THE JOKER! He had the laugh, insanity, posture, & flamboyance. That's the Joker I know. Take no substitutes. ;D

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Fri, 30 Jan  2009, 04:22
Who on Earth would not love Nicholson's Joker!? I mean, just look at him in BATMAN. HE IS THE JOKER! Take no substitutes. ;D

No argument heard here.

It really must have been satisfying to have Nicholson in mind for the Joker (Kane claims that after seeing The Shinning, he felt Nicholson would make a great Joker), and then years later ... actually have him play the part.

I think Ledger's death is only partly responsible for the praise he got because overall I think he did a great job. I have to agree though that Nicholson really embodied The Joker and that's why he is still so much in our memories.

I was wondering that if Ledger played the Joker with more flamboyance, more dark humour, he might have been more akin to the Joker of the comics (generally speaking). That's just one aspect of Ledger's performance that I think should have come out more and I think Ledger could have done a great job at it.

Quote from: Grissom on Fri, 30 Jan  2009, 12:57
I think Ledger's death is only partly responsible for the praise he got because overall I think he did a great job. I have to agree though that Nicholson really embodied The Joker and that's why he is still so much in our memories.

I was wondering that if Ledger played the Joker with more flamboyance, more dark humour, he might have been more akin to the Joker of the comics (generally speaking). That's just one aspect of Ledger's performance that I think should have come out more and I think Ledger could have done a great job at it.

No one beats Jack, but I agree w/ you on Ledger as a flamboyant & jokey Joker instead of playing a cliched antagonist.