Is There a Plausible Way to Tie 'Batman Returns' to 'Batman Forever'?

Started by Burtonite_08, Sat, 12 Jul 2008, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic
That car has a similar shape to the Keaton Mobile. Is that Schumacher's way of tying his films to Burton's (I still can't tie them)?

Maybe. Maybe not.

From what I've read, Shumacher's original cut for Forever paid more homage to Burton's film than what we ultimately saw with the theatrical cut.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Thu, 29 Jan 2009, 02:34 #42 Last Edit: Thu, 29 Jan 2009, 02:54 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 29 Jan  2009, 02:26
From what I've read, Shumacher's original cut for Forever paid more homage to Burton's film than what we ultimately saw with the theatrical cut.

True. I know for sure that it was meant to be darker than what we got for the final cut. I know there are things still that need to be edited or cut out of the film entirely at the end of the day (Chase Meridian for ex.), but I would've loved to have seen the full version. It's a shame that Warner Bros. really wanted the final cut to be mainstream & dumbed down. :( >:( Still, it's sure as hell not in Batman & Robin's league, there's no doubt about that! :D

How would you tie Forever & B & R The Joker?

I'm not really sure how I would tie BF to B&R, but personally I think out of all the Burton/Schumacher Batman films, B&R feels like more of a direct sequel to BF than Batman Returns was to 1989. And maybe that's just because we had O'Donnell returning with Michael Gough and Pat Hingle, instead of just Gough and Hingle who were about the only people from the Burton films reprising their roles from the in Forever. But yeah, it just felt like more of a continuation. Although that's just my personal opinion.

Unfortunately, as you stated, we got a watered down theatrical cut with Forever, and a even more watered down movie with Batman and Robin>:(

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 29 Jan  2009, 02:45

I'm not really sure how I would tie BF to B&R, but personally I think out of all the Burton/Schumacher Batman films, B&R feels like more of a direct sequel to BF than Batman Returns was to 1989. And maybe that's just because we had O'Donnell returning with Michael Gough and Pat Hingle, instead of just Gough and Hingle who were about the only people from the Burton films reprising their roles from the in Forever. But yeah, it just felt like more of a continuation. Although that's just my personal opinion.

Unfortunately, as you stated, we got a watered down theatrical cut with Forever, and a even more watered down movie with Batman and Robin>:(

Burton did say that Returns isn't a sequel to BATMAN. As for B & R being a follow-up to Forever, it's pretty difficult for me to think that. I mean sure Schumacher directed it, but it was just a COMPLETE CAMPFEST!

I dont think doing a direct sequel to Batman 1989 interested Burton that much. Actually, I believe it was WB basically telling him, "Well what if it's more of a Tim Burton movie?" was what essentially hooked Burton back in for doing another Batman movie.

The camp fest in BF was definately there with Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey hamming it up ... but the camp dial got turned waaaay up with B&R. Add that with WB caring more about happy meals, and making everything "toyetic", along with Schumacher going along with it .... we end up with something very, very disappointing. 

Quote from: ral on Sat, 17 Jan  2009, 19:17
Did Furst do the B89 logo?

Yes sir! ;)

Production designer Anton Furst designed the poster, which he called "evocative but ubiquitous. Only featuring the Bat-Symbol. Not too much and not too little."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_1989#Marketing