TV show DVD release?

Started by Bobthegoon89, Sat, 8 Dec 2012, 00:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 17 Jul  2013, 03:41
he knows for a fact within the last year the rights have gotten very un-tangled.

He doesn't know for sure if the rumor floating around about the big Batman '66 announcement is a DVD release or not for sure, but he thinks is just as strong a possibility as anything else, as he posted "Get ready for it" in response to the talk of said announcement.
*Hyperventilates*

Forever is a long time and that's what it's felt like in regards to this TV series getting an official release.

It's always been a "it'll happen one day" deal. But something has got to give for this to happen. If people do nothing, nothing happens. If both sides play ball and grit their teeth, this thing will come out. Even if one side compromises, they're going to make big cashmoneymoola. Just get it done!

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Mon, 15 Jul  2013, 12:58The rumour I heard also was that certain DC comics people didn't want it put out for fear of damaging Batman's image. If this is so it's totally unacceptable. The show was one of the biggest smashes during the sixties and most gigantic shows from that era have been out on dvd for some time. Some perhaps less deserving than Batman itself. So to not have any home release at all is nothing short of an insult.
I hadn't heard that rumor but reading this thread now prompted me to suggest this very thing. I wanted to read each post before shooting my mouth off though.

Not to demonize anybody but I've wondered if there hasn't been some kind of deal for quite a while now but the Nolanverse was under way and, to be diplomatic, certain unnamed people whose names I shall not mention who are involved with Warner Bros. maybe didn't want this show to come out while his movies were under way. But now that his trilogy is over... what a convenient time to release the show!!!

Sorry, I just find it a little too "coincidental" that the very next Comic Con after TDKRises came out on Blu-Ray supposedly has some sort of announcement about this long-delayed TV show.

The truth is that the biggest hurdles for the series to jump over have been more than WB and Fox tango-ing.... it's been the slices of the pie both of them would have to dole out to others. Royalties for the guest stars (all of those estates have pull since they were all huge stars at the time), contracts to have the copyrighted characters from other shows who popped out of the windows during the climbing scenes (unless they would just cut those moments from the home video release... I'd hope not), and even George Barris' royalties and individual costumes designers and such.

The biggest hurdle aside from those that got cleared was Dozier's company Greenway Productions had been standing in the way to hold out for a huge chunk of the pie and that got sorted out a couple years ago from what I understand. I think by comparison to Greenway and the royalties debacle, the WB/Fox thing was the easier to solve. I'm sure had it not been for the other stuff, the two would have agreed LONG ago and we'd have had the show by now.

The production was so random and piecemeal that it made negotiation a nightmare when home video came around. The contracts as-signed held no say about any kind of home release since that wasn't invented yet. The movie could be released on home video because it was a product designed to make money from its inception. That contract was geared toward the making of money from the first stage of development. A studio like Fox doesn't get money from a television series directly... it gets advertising revenue and licensing fees paid to air the show. Hence why the show can be rerun endlessly but home video's a seperate nightmare.

I think it's more likely some kind of deal worked out to allow the series to come to Netflix and the like, more than a DVD release. I could see the existing contracts requiring very little adjustment for the show to be available in another form of broadcast instead of home ownership. It's a shorter more do-able leap.

If it is a home video release, then expect the sets to cost a TON so that everyone gets a satisfactory piece of the pie.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Wed, 17 Jul 2013, 20:52 #13 Last Edit: Wed, 17 Jul 2013, 20:58 by Green Lantern
QuoteA Big Batman 1966 TV Series Announcement At SDCC '13?
BY COMICS XAMINER – JULY 15, 2013

POSTED IN: TV
According to Bleeding Cool: We've been talking with multiple individuals about what's afoot for Batman at Comic Con, and there seems to be something big happening that has to do with the 1966 TV series.

Best guess. The release of the entire series on DVD/Blu -ray as that is the only piece missing from the recent Batman 1966 merchandise bonanza.

http://comics-x-aminer.com/2013/07/15/a-big-batman-1966-tv-series-announcement-at-sdcc-13/

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Wed, 17 Jul  2013, 05:09

I think it's more likely some kind of deal worked out to allow the series to come to Netflix and the like, more than a DVD release. I could see the existing contracts requiring very little adjustment for the show to be available in another form of broadcast instead of home ownership. It's a shorter more do-able leap.

If it is a home video release, then expect the sets to cost a TON so that everyone gets a satisfactory piece of the pie.

that sucks. :( lol

when does the convention end? sunday? if so anyone want to bet dc waits until like 9 p.m san diego time on sunday to announce it? lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 18 Jul  2013, 01:30
when does the convention end? sunday? if so anyone want to bet dc waits until like 9 p.m san diego time on sunday to announce it? lol.

Yes the convention starts today and ends on Sunday, and I'm not sure if it will be DC who will be announcing it. As it has been said that Fox is planning to make a MAJOR announcement at the event. Now for anyone who is wondering the Fox panel will  be there on Friday.

http://www.66batman.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1416&start=30

oooooo ok. so ignore everything i just said lol

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 18 Jul  2013, 01:46
oooooo ok. so ignore everything i just said lol
There's no need to type that.  :)

Well it seems as though we lead on a wild goose chase.

Here's the latest news guys.  :(

QuoteThis is one of the rare non-news stories we have to post every so often, usually when fans become extremely hyped about a release that our sources tell us isn't coming. We hope the information we've been given is wrong, as we'd absolutely love to have this in our collections, but the evidence.

We started receiving emails earlier in the week from fans that had been hearing Warner Bros was going to make an announcement for the 1966 Batman series at Comic Con this week in San Diego. The rumors were fueled by the "show bag" given out at the San Diego Comic Con featuring images from the series, and "Warner Bros" along the spine. Some even said that there would be a promo disc in the bag featuring episodes from the series (there wasn't).

More emails came yesterday when the image below started showing up on various Batman/DVD forums:

That definitely looks like a professional job, and is a very attractive case for the complete series. Dave Lambert, our own "DVD Detective," managed to track down the origins of the art. The key art was created by Christopher Franchi at Metaluna 5 Media, a company that has a 2-decade history of designing artwork for pop culture, and their clients include Warner Bros, among others. The artwork was posted on their Facebook page on August 10, 2011. The artists are also Bat-fans, and - like many of us - wish to see the 1966 show on DVD, and even possibly Blu-ray Disc. The artwork posted above showing the Blu-ray sets was posted on September 24, 2012 (we had to crop the image to only show 2 out of the 3 boxes on the original post). The box is apparently an idea (a speculative one, we presume?) of what it might look like if Mataluna 5 Media was given the assignment to make up a package - using their litho design - of a Blu-ray Disc set they would call "Batman - The Complete Classic Television Series." On the spine is the same image (from the litho) of Batman and Robin, but with Batgirl added in. That Batgirl image was taken from a separate piece of artwork Christopher Franchi did, with a 2012 copyright. The artwork that started showing up on forums yesterday isn't new, and it shows no sign of being legit enough to convince us that an announcement of the 1966 Batman series, starring Adam West, is truly imminent.

Unfortunately all this hype appears to be caused by the previous deal that Warner Bros has done for merchandising rights for the Batman series (the bag was designed by Warner Bros., Worldwide Television Marketing), and the wonderful, but speculative artwork by Metaluna 5 Media. Also, the studios that have been connected to the show in the past have all told us they have no announcement to make regarding the series. We really hope we're wrong, but we're not expecting the series to be announced at the San Diego Comic Con this week.

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18730#ixzz2ZR1nDptH