TV show DVD release?

Started by Bobthegoon89, Sat, 8 Dec 2012, 00:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Any new updates on the potential up coming release of the series on dvd? I read a report some legal issues were being sorted finally and a home video was soon coming.

How would you like the show released: a complete 3 season boxset or season by season individual release?

I hope the show will get a remastered transfer like the blazing primary colour laden transfer that accompanied the movie version. Extras would not be too shabby either.

The Batman 1960's was one of the shows I really lived for. I remember when I was a kid; I used to watch this after school. This show is somewhat has sentimental value for me because compared to the darker comic version, it turned out that to be lighthearted one with full of fun and action. It's really a great show. I'm definitely a fan of this show until now and I searched for websites that sells this TV series. Well, luckily, I got a decent copy at http://www.memorylanedvd.com/product.php?productid=38200&cat=0&page=1 – I received a very nice quality DVDs. I'm gonna let my grandson watch this for surely, he'll love it too! A musical, bubbly, funny and action packed in one show!

QuoteWe've been talking with multiple individuals about what's afoot for Batman at Comic Con, and there seems to be something big happening that has to do with the 1966 TV series.

The thing is... nobody is in agreement about what exactly these secret plans, showpiece or announcement might be.

As you may be aware, there's been no DVD release for the show as yet. Reasons for this appear to include a dispute between 20th Century Fox, who own the actual footage, and Warner Bros. who own the Batman and his likeness, though there's often said to be rights issues with some of the music, costumes and even the Batmobile design too.

If it's true that the show is about to reach DVD and maybe even Blu-ray, this may well all be down to Warner Bros. decision to make a Watchman movie. Why? Well, here's how that particular twist was reported by a pre-Bleeding Cool version of Rich, way back in 2008:

The situation has Fox filing suit against Warners and other connected companies over the rights to produce and distribute the upcoming Watchmen movie, based on contracts signed a considerable while ago. And it appears that they have a very good case indeed.

But do Fox really want to make a Watchmen film of their own? Do they want the money from the Warners Watchmen film? Do they want a cut? A payoff? Or just holding up a rival?

None of the above. Sources tell me that Fox want the 1960s Batman TV series. Currently Fox own the TV footage, but Warner Bros own the characters and trademarks, via their ownership of DC Comics. The rights to a DVD release have been held up for a long time now, and this case looks like it may be the instrument to release them.

If the deal was made, it never became public. And it would also have been necessary for Fox to then follow through with a a good number of other new deals, both with the actors and various other rights holders involved.

Perhaps that all works with the timing – from 2008 until an announcement this week. It's not impossible.

The plot thickened last Summer when it became clear that Warner Bros. would be releasing a line of consumer products themed around the TV series, from action figures to beach towels.

Could it be that they made a deal with Fox that went something like "You can release the series if we release the merch?"

Well, yes. That's entirely possible. We don't know how Warner Bros. cleared the way with Fox to be able to release all of these lunchboxes and t-shirts and the like, but surely allowing a DVD release would be their one main bargaining chip?

So, one party has told us that there's going to be some kind of announcement to do with the series in San Diego, and it's expected – not absolutely confirmed – to be a home video release.

Another has told us that there's going to be something to do with Batman '66 on the exhibition floor.

And a third, entirely separate voice has piped in with a sounds-too-good-to-be-true tip-off that there will be free, giveaway sample discs at the show, maybe even inside the Warner Bros.-sponsored bags that all attendees will receive.

It might all be true, it might all be some kind of misunderstanding, but that so many people have spoken up in just a few days is pretty compelling to me. And is it really just a coincidence that the Batman '66 comic book is receiving a print release this week? Or is it another part of a carefully co-ordinated marketing scheme?

We'll be sure to let you know as soon as we can what exactly is going on.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/14/what-do-have-planned-for-the-66-batman-show-at-comic-con/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

My attention is focused on this front.

Please be a Blu-ray release with all the trimmings.

please be a dvd release for us poor people too!

Quote from: Catwoman on Mon, 15 Jul  2013, 11:25
please be a dvd release for us poor people too!
Of course, both formats. I definitely *feel* there's more chances of a release than in recent years. With the merchandise and such they've announced.

It's hard not to get one's hopes up.

if they know how many people they would make happy by doing this, they will do it.

if they know how many people they will piss off and turn to a life of crime by not doing this, they will do it. lol.

The Batman tv show was screened recently on British tv channel ITV4 for about 2 years. It's now vanished from the schedules in place of boring cop shows and the Tour De France. It's on too sparodically and I'd like a dvd release so I don't go through any more of these periods of "hibernation" till I can see it again. I wonder if Warners asked for it to be pulled from tv schedules due to a dvd release coming soon?

The rumour I heard also was that certain DC comics people didn't want it put out for fear of damaging Batman's image. If this is so it's totally unacceptable. The show was one of the biggest smashes during the sixties and most gigantic shows from that era have been out on dvd for some time. Some perhaps less deserving than Batman itself. So to not have any home release at all is nothing short of an insult.

Lets face it it will be some time till the next Batman film and I'm not sure if Warners planned this intentionally but I'm lovin that the tv show has now become the next big news after The Dark Knight Rises. All this merchandise is gonna fill the gap nicely till new film developments and not let the newsfront go totally cold. Also at a time when Batman has perhaps gotten much too realistic and overtly serious you can always rely on Adam West and company to tear that image down again somewhat lol

How will the series be issued? Individual series or a 3 season boxset? I want the latter. We've waited long enough now. Some commentaries by West and Ward are essential. Think of the stories they can tell about Gorshin, Meredith, Otto Preminger (gulp!) and even the camp king himself Liberace. Plus a digital cleanup is a must. I want it the same technicolor quality as the feature film release. No scratches, dots or dirt marks as on the tv transmissions I've recently watched. Spruce it up to look as fantastic as it deserves to be.

Plus the option to choose which episode I'd like to watch and not be slaved to transmission order would be a dream.

Part of me wonders if it just isn't profitable for this DVD release to happen. I know what you're thinking. How can it be that the #1 most-requested DVD set of all time won't be profitable?

Well, if there are so many stakeholders (multiple actors, estates, producers, etc.) that are needing a cut it may very well be that it isn't in WB or Fox's interest to work on an arrangement. Particularly since the DVD/Blu-Ray market has been dying over the past few years. Hope I'm wrong though as I'll be first in line to pick it up!

Over on the boards at Batman66.com, a member named AndyFish is something of a muckity-muck in the industry somewhere (I think he does freelance design work for major corporations), and he comments that at the very least, he knows for a fact within the last year the rights have gotten very un-tangled. He doesn't know for sure if the rumor floating around about the big Batman '66 announcement is a DVD release or not for sure, but he thinks is just as strong a possibility as anything else, as he posted "Get ready for it" in response to the talk of said announcement. A statement he would know would garner believe in the DVDs.

He also makes a good point that the mods (some of whom know major players) there have stopped chiming in with "there's no DVD set in the pipeline yet" lately, which they ALWAYS were doing before.

Here's the Bleeding Cool story on the announcement, for those who missed it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/14/what-do-have-planned-for-the-66-batman-show-at-comic-con/

Now, with the things being said at Batman66, I think it's very possible that it is a home video release announcement, or something closer to it, like a contract for video streaming services. Let's keep our hopes in check, people, but with the merchandise and comic already announced, can you think of anything else for the series that they could make a big announcement with otherwise? Hot Toys has already let it be known about their figures, so it being more merchandise makes very little sense.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton