John Astin vs Frank Gorshin

Started by Bobthegoon89, Wed, 29 Aug 2012, 17:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Just caught an episode of Batman I've long since dreaded seeing: the one in which John Astin replaced Frank Gorshin as The Riddler!

Amazingly I didn't hate the thing as much as I expected I would. It's clear Astin is nowhere near as spectacular as Gorshin but he did a passable job nevertheless. What was your first reactions at seeing this change?

It seems Astin's contribution to Edward Nygma has been all but forgotten but I noticed watching him how he constantly twirled his riddler cane prop. Remind you of anyone? It would seem Jim Carrey did some research on this episode and how to handle his own trademark weapon....

All I can say is thank god they didn't replace Burgess Meredith as The Penguin! Can you imagine???

I caught the episode in reruns and had been long accustomed to seeing Gorshin in the role so seeing Astin that first time was a major shock. I warmed to it but haven't seen the episode in something like 15 or 20 years so I have no clue how it holds up. Even so, I remember really enjoying it as a kid.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 29 Aug  2012, 17:57
I caught the episode in reruns and had been long accustomed to seeing Gorshin in the role so seeing Astin that first time was a major shock. I warmed to it but haven't seen the episode in something like 15 or 20 years so I have no clue how it holds up. Even so, I remember really enjoying it as a kid.

It's really not so bad. The cliffhanger is pretty good. The sets (particularly the Riddler's lair) are great. Love the great question mark shaped automatic door lol It even has a giant crossword puzzle wall. Reminds me of a Dick Sprang comic.

Funnily enough it's not the first time I've preferred somebody else to John Astin. Even though he was the original Gomez Addams in The Addams Family I enjoyed Raul Julia's version more.

I appreciated the fact that he didn't play it like Gorshin(who is still THE Riddler after all these years) and was an entertaining substitute IMO.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Sun,  2 Sep  2012, 12:54
I appreciated the fact that he didn't play it like Gorshin(who is still THE Riddler after all these years) and was an entertaining substitute IMO.
Yes, that is a plus in my book. For better or worse, Astin did his own thing - just like Kitt did her own thing.

Probably just repeating what everybody else has said.  :)

To me Gorshin was the Riddler of that era--no question about it.  That said, I appreciate that Astin played his own variation of the character rather than falling into a Gorshin impression.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Sep  2012, 02:17
Yes, that is a plus in my book. For better or worse, Astin did his own thing - just like Kitt did her own thing.

I actually prefer Kitt over Newmar, stupid hairdo aside I thought she was more menacing than fan-fave Julie.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

To go off topic a sec I much preferred Lee Meriweather than either of the other 2 Catwomen. Largely cos the movie I saw first. I think that movie was the first exposure for many of the early 90's of the Adam West Batman.

I think Lee Meriweather was a missed opportunity myself. She seemed a much tougher and therefore cooler Catwoman to me ala Michelle Pfeiffer. Her face was also much more in line with the comic version too. At several points she's more a leader of the gang than The Penguin barking her orders about to the more dim witted Joker. I really think she should have had another appearance on the show. Her relationship scenes with Adam West was also more convincing...if that word can apply to the campy Bat tv universe that is!

John Astin had a tricky act to follow! I think most people will agree to this date Frank Gorshin is the best Riddler. So I do feel sympathy for Astin as being 'the guy after' is always going to be an impossible job. I did enjoy the storyline for this episode  (minus the bat-fight under water lol). Astin as the Riddler did just about do the job for me, if he had alot more charasima he would have been brilliant! Appearance wise, the moustache let him down I thought!