Best 1960s villain

Started by johnnygobbs, Fri, 30 Oct 2009, 22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the best villain in the 1960s TV series?

The Joker (Cesar Romero)
1 (3.8%)
The Penguin (Burgess Meredith)
9 (34.6%)
Catwoman (Julie Newmar; Eartha Kitt; Lee Meriwether)
4 (15.4%)
The Riddler (Frank Gorshim; John Astin)
14 (53.8%)
Mr Freeze (George Sanders; Otto Preminger; Eli Wallach)
0 (0%)
Mad Hatter (David Wayne)
2 (7.7%)
King Tut (Victor Buono)
2 (7.7%)
The Bookworm (Roddy McDowell)
1 (3.8%)
Egghead (Vincent Price)
1 (3.8%)
Black Widow (Tallulah Bankhead)
0 (0%)
The Siren (Joan Collins)
0 (0%)
Calamity Jan (Dina Merrill)
0 (0%)
The Clock King (Walter Slezak)
0 (0%)
Ma Parker (Shelley Winters)
0 (0%)
Lady Penelope Peasoup (Glynnis Johns)
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

if she wasn't dead and i didn't love "santa baby" i'd do the same thing.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 31 Oct  2009, 01:32
I was never that keen on the Julie Newmar version.  I preferred Lee Meriwether in the 1966 film.

Oh, same here.

I liked what Newmar did with the role, but I just generally prefer Lee Meriwether's version more. Don't know if it was Miss Kitka or what?  ;D

As far as my favourite, I guess that would have to be Burgess Meredith's Penguin. Such a memorable villain, even though it's tough to beat the awesome 'stache of Cesar Romero.  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Frank FTW! He got the Emmy nomination and HE DESERVED IT. That giggle...

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Sun,  1 Nov  2009, 23:45
Now here's a man with style and class!

I dig on Frank and all but... well, let's just say I was, ah, "coming of age" when I started watching the show... which had Julie Newmar... wearing tight black leather... walking around (with a little something extra) dripping sex off her, ahem, whiskers.

Yeah, easy choice.  Mmm, Julie Newmar...

I have said before and I'll say again, that Frank Gorshin and Burgess Meredith could have still played their characters exactly the same way even if the show had been done seriously.

I also really digged David Wayne's Mad Hatter.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Sun, 21 Feb  2010, 22:46
I have said before and I'll say again, that Frank Gorshin and Burgess Meredith could have still played their characters exactly the same way even if the show had been done seriously.

I also really digged David Wayne's Mad Hatter.

In order
1. The riddler- turned a minor villain into a major one
2. King tut- best villain not a comic adaptation
3. The penguin- Meredith was a fantastic actor

Despite the warning about the date of the topic, I'll weigh in.

QuoteI have said before and I'll say again, that Frank Gorshin and Burgess Meredith could have still played their characters exactly the same way even if the show had been done seriously.

QFT.  One of the things I thought the TV show had going for it was that there was such a depth of villains/characters in the piece.  Yes, you had the big four (Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler) showcased in the film, but there were so many interesting characters given life in the series. 

I voted for Catwoman, in particular Julie Newmar for reasons similar to Colorsblend.  I also found that she was the only villain who had a character 'arc.'  Most villains appeared without a reference to their previous appearance.  I've recently looked at all the Julie Newmar episodes, and there is an arc--Batman saves her, she suddenly has feelings for him. And even as their enmity continues, there is clear confusion, sexual chemistry, and even a dash of smitten-kitten in her later episodes.  Sadly, after her character takes on fall too many she is replaced. 

I really like Eartha Kitt, but given the racially charged 60s, it's a shame they had to table the romance angle. I think they could have had some fun.

Quote from: Kamdan on Sun,  1 Nov  2009, 23:45

I just wished he won it!! He deserved it!