Best 1960s villain

Started by johnnygobbs, Fri, 30 Oct 2009, 22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the best villain in the 1960s TV series?

The Joker (Cesar Romero)
1 (3.8%)
The Penguin (Burgess Meredith)
9 (34.6%)
Catwoman (Julie Newmar; Eartha Kitt; Lee Meriwether)
4 (15.4%)
The Riddler (Frank Gorshim; John Astin)
14 (53.8%)
Mr Freeze (George Sanders; Otto Preminger; Eli Wallach)
0 (0%)
Mad Hatter (David Wayne)
2 (7.7%)
King Tut (Victor Buono)
2 (7.7%)
The Bookworm (Roddy McDowell)
1 (3.8%)
Egghead (Vincent Price)
1 (3.8%)
Black Widow (Tallulah Bankhead)
0 (0%)
The Siren (Joan Collins)
0 (0%)
Calamity Jan (Dina Merrill)
0 (0%)
The Clock King (Walter Slezak)
0 (0%)
Ma Parker (Shelley Winters)
0 (0%)
Lady Penelope Peasoup (Glynnis Johns)
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

The Batman TV series had various colourful villains throughout its run.  Who was your favourite?

I'd also be interested in whether you think any of the characters designed for TV would have made decent villains in any of the films.  Alternatively, who do you think should have been added to the TV series (i.e. Poison Ivy, Two-Face, The Scarecrow etc), and who could have played them?

Apologies to those of you who never caught the series.  I've only really seen the odd episode myself, but I am fairly familiar with the characters, old and entirely new.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I voted for Penguin. Not because I like the character but because Meredith (IMO) gave the best performance.  Not even that, his make-up was great. My lady even commented on it when we watched the 66 movie together.

You know, as far as I am concerned most of the villians were protrayed great.  I give the actors a lot of credit for while at times the show was incredibly 2-D some of the performances were quite layered.  Sanders as Freeze is one that stands out the most for me - not just a black and white bad guy.

God I love that show (even for all it's daftness).  Actually I was talking with someone in work last week about old TV shows and the conversation fell on Batman - I went on for ages about the show, giving trivia, and by the end of it the other guy was praising it too.

It'd be great to read some trivia about the series Ral.

I was torn between The Penguin and Catwoman, though to be honest, and I realise this is heresy to some, I was never that keen on the Julie Newmar version.  I preferred Lee Meriwether in the 1966 film.  Eartha Kitt was OK.  Michelle Pfeiffer is still the best Catwoman so far though.  Consequently, I plump for Burgess Meridith's Penguin.

This was a toughy but I picked King Tut.  LOL  Yeah, as villians go he would be considered "lame" by most, but I find him hilarious and can't help but smile every time he walks onscreen.  For years my favorite was The Penguin because I liked his style but as I grow older I find myself enjoying Tut's humor much more. 

I'm a big fan of Frank Gorshin's Riddler. So naturally, I voted for him.

Frank's Rids hands down.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 31 Oct  2009, 01:32
I realise this is heresy to some, I was never that keen on the Julie Newmar version. 

*puts on catwoman stilleto and kicks gobbsy in the crotch*

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 31 Oct  2009, 18:48
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 31 Oct  2009, 01:32
I realise this is heresy to some, I was never that keen on the Julie Newmar version. 

*puts on catwoman stilleto and kicks gobbsy in the crotch*

I prefer Ertha Kitt...  :-X