Joker (2019)

Started by Wayne49, Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic
At this point, it seems like a mathematical certainty that JOKER will hit $1 billion.

Total honesty here. I never thought it would even come close to this. Before the movie opened, I figured they'd be lucky to hit $400 million worldwide. Obviously we're way beyond that now.

The biggest surprise of all at this point isn't that the movie will likely hit $1 billion. It's that the movie will probably hit that number without a release in China.

The sequel talk seems like it's more serious now. Part of me wants to see where things might go. But a different part thinks JOKER is best left as a one-off thing. There's nothing we can do about this but I don't think a sequel will improve much on what we've already seen. So hmm...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 10 Nov  2019, 03:24
The biggest surprise of all at this point isn't that the movie will likely hit $1 billion. It's that the movie will probably hit that number without a release in China.
That's the best part.

JOKER is absolutely one of my top ten films. Once I got on board with the concept I thought I'd like it, but not this much. It's a film that really clings to your soul and reflects the times. Arthur trudging up those f***ing stairs every day really connects with me.

This music video is nicely done. I like how it juxtaposes Arthur's misery with the joyous Rock & Roll Part 2. That music is his underlying revenge and salvation. When you watch this video you realize how just about every scene is near perfect and instantly iconic.

Home video release is set for December 17. I already pre-ordered the movie so I'll be there with bells on.

The stair thing is probably the best element of the film. He trudges miserably up the stairs at least twice in the film. Each time, he's leaving one hell to enter into another hell. His lumbering gait perfectly symbolizes his own despair.

When he descends the stairs, a direction usually associated with darkness and loss, he dances gleefully. He is embracing the darkness which is what allows him to perpetuate it for the remainder of the film's runtime.

There's so much awesome going on there and zero bad. I couldn't be happier with this movie.

JOKER is *the* anti bullying story. The lesson is to be careful who you treat like garbage. You don't know who you're dealing with. As Arthur tells Murray before he puts a hole in his head, "they think that we'll just sit there and take it, like good little boys. That we won't werewolf and go wild."

Think of all the aggressive harassment, labelling, bias and doxxing going on at the moment. It's ripe material for civil war. Yet the daily prodding goes on. "Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?" Amen, Arthur, Amen.

My favorite scene happens to be Arthur in the lounge room, preparing for his entry onto the talk show stage. He's longer burdened by his mother and that apartment is his. There's something so Jokery about that to me. He's on his own and the showman is emerging, perfecting his art.

The awkward failure of the comedy club is fading away. But he still has nerves due to grappling with the idea of suicide. When he goes on the show he retains elements of that rehearsed confidence. Once he decides to kill Murray and not himself, he's truly unchained. Every little scene pushes the ball forward psychologically.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 10 Nov  2019, 05:11
Home video release is set for December 17.

Movie takes place in the year I was born, and the physical media release is on my birthday?

I am absolutely loving this!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 14 Nov  2019, 01:13
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 10 Nov  2019, 05:11
Home video release is set for December 17.

Movie takes place in the year I was born, and the physical media release is on my birthday?

I am absolutely loving this!
Happy birthday, TJ.

Joker was released on Digital HD today. My iTunes preorder is ready to go. Later tonight, I'm making a big bucket of buttery popcorn with butter and rewatching the film.

Quote from: thecolorsblendHappy birthday, TJ.

Joker was released on Digital HD today. My iTunes preorder is ready to go. Later tonight, I'm making a big bucket of buttery popcorn with butter and rewatching the film.

Thank you, Colors.  :)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Astounding. Simply magnificent. I knew I adored the film. But tonight is the second time I've seen it. And man, does this bad boy hold up on the second viewing or what? For whatever reason, it's a lot easier to unwind and just ENJOY Phoenix's performance the second time around.

If you only ever saw it the one time, you'll want to watch it again. This was no flash in the pan success. JOKER has authentic merit going for it, if you ask me.

Happy Birthday, Joker.

Yes indeed, this movie is something really special. I've found people who see it initially don't know how to properly digest it, given the nihilistic tone it has. They'll say "good, but not great." But as the film soaks into their soul, they come to see just how incredible it is as a work of art.

And that's how I view it.

I'm a proud fan of villains and antiheroes because I find them a lot more interesting and relatable. Life is all about self esteem, and the darker aspects of that intrigue me. Depression hurts so much because it's a real, raw emotion that reveals real truth. Phoenix and Phillips give us a masterclass of torment that reveals a truth so many people are feeling right now.

If someone asked me how I felt at any particular time, I'd probably say "you'd rather not know." If they really pushed me I'd say "if I could hit [insert name here] on the head as hard as I could with a sledgehammer I would." To which they'd freak out. But I'm talking strictly about how I'm FEELING. Phoenix has that irritable, angry angst ebbing in him too.

I use that feeling as motivation. Life for me is all about 'you're either serious or you're not.' I can't stress this enough: life is a mental game and real strength is how you deal with rejection, disappointment or a change in circumstances. It is absolutely EVERYTHING. In life you WILL be tested and you WILL have doubts, but it's how you respond that shows your true character. I believe it comes down to knowing yourself and loving yourself, because then nothing can touch your self-esteem. Don't see ego as a negative thing – it's something extremely valuable to tap into when you need motivation or self-support.

I have no shame in saying narcissism has driven me to get this far and on the straight and narrow, in the past and now. I walk around and see a lot of overweight zombies glued to their phones. I'm not going to join them. If you eat well and exercise you are ahead of the majority of people. But you just need to do it REGULARLY. Again, mental toughness is the key. Unmotivated people want quick fixes like taking a pill. They give something a go for a couple of days, but don't see the results they want, thus they give up. And thus they stay where they are. There are no shortcuts.

A depression as deep as Arthur's is very easy to embrace given the daily grind and disappointments we face. Feeling empty and without true purpose does stoke suicidal thoughts. People give up and retreat from life. JOKER captured something important that speaks to me.

I just bought this, so I'll watch later tonight. I thought I had to wait until Jan, because I wanted the physical disc, but if you buy over at VUDU, you can buy the psychical, and it lets you stream the digital right away, and they ship you the disc when it releases in Jan. I just found out about that. Very cool on VUDU.