Wonder Woman (2017)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 25 Nov 2015, 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

A quick plot synopsis from WB:

QuoteBefore she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when an American pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop the threat. Fighting alongside man in a war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers...and her true destiny.

It's also been revealed that Allan Heinberg and Geoff Johns teamed up to pen the movie as well.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

^ Very nice.

Gal, Chris Pine and Patty Jenkins will be at Comic Con on July 23 as well.

This movie has a lot of potential.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  6 Jul  2016, 15:50
Are you collecting Iron Man comics, TDK? Or are you not that big of a fan?

Nope, not collecting Iron Man comics. A lot of it is down to Robert Downey Jr's screen presence. I think he's entertaining to watch, but the filmmakers have also created a layered character that has evolved over the years.  Gal is much the same with her screen presence, but I may actually explore the WW comics.

Yeah, I've never been a big Iron Man reader either, but do enjoy Robert Downey Jr's portrayal as well.

With Wonder Woman, I have alot of hope that the film will turn out good. Course some of that is me wanting the film to do well considering the long wait I've had for a actual live action Wonder Woman film, along with being fairly well versed in the character's mythology, but I think Gale, like Downey, being so warmly received in her screen time in BvS certainly helps in that positive perception that is always wanted from a studio prior to a release date.

I also dig the WW1 setting as well. Initially, I was on the fence, due to being so used to WW2, if anything, typically being the War Wonder Woman is often associated with in the comics, but the more I thought about it, it's great. As in light of all the movies focusing on WW2, or using it as a backdrop, a Wonder Woman movie taking place during WW1 automatically makes it distinct. Which is something I hope the DCEU continues to do. Not only in it's style and approach, but also in order to differentiate itself from the MCU. I'm enjoying the different flavors, and really have no interest in either mirroring the other.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I understand that Captain America has a virtual monopoly on World War II in the public's mind... but I do wish this movie was taking place during World War II anyway.

That said, I dig the idea of Wonder Woman FINALLY earning her rep as a DC icon. She's always viewed like a DC prom queen but there's not much aside from Linda Carter to justify that. Certainly her comics have rarely been readable. A big screen movie could finally put everything right.

I know jacknothing about the movie but I so want this to be good.

Perception can easily be remedied, especially in light of more mainstream exposure. Just take a look at some of the characters that have headlined movies over at Marvel/Disney, and there you go. As far as comics go, it helps to have a vision and stick with it. Fortunately, the state of being inconsistent in direction is not something that Wonder Woman is unique to. As Iron Man, and to a lesser extent, Captain America even shared that same problem  for a number of years. Going back to the 1990's, it's telling that the most attention the character of Captain America got that entire decade, was when Rob Liefeld was brought on to head the Cap book for the Heroes Reborn initiative. Which is sad. Course Ed Brubaker finally got the book rolling, but that wasn't until 2004/2005.

With Wonder Woman, fans are likely to point you to the direction of George Perez's run. John Byrne's is pretty decent, as is Greg Rucka's run, and Gail Simone. Course I dig the Golden Age Marston stories, but that's just me. If you don't give a damn about prior history, Brian Azzarello's New52 take might be to one's liking. I've read Grant Morrison's Earth One book on Wonder Woman, and thought it was OK. I hear good things about "The Legend of Wonder Woman" comics, but being that I haven't read them, I really can't comment on them. Rucka's back on the board thanks to DC Rebirth, and that's most definitely a good thing!

More images have been released!

She looks awesome!
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I've always had a soft spot for historical superhero films. I think maybe it stems from my love of old Golden Age comic books. Captain America: The First Avenger is the obvious example, but also older movies like The Rocketeer, The Shadow and The Phantom. Even the Burton Batman films had a semi-historical aesthetic going on, what with the fedoras and art deco production design. I'm hoping we'll see a little of that in this film.

I suppose the one good thing to come out of the Ghostbusters fiasco is that we know for a fact Wonder Woman will be rated 'fresh' on RT. We could launch a fake misogyny campaign like Sony did, tip off the press that people are badmouthing the concept of a female superhero, then watch the virtue signalling 'fresh' reviews pour in. I can just see the headlines now: "Sorry to ruin your childhoods, basement-dwelling misogynist manbabies, but Wonder Woman proves girls can be heroes too!" But unlike Ghostbusters, this movie will also have the full support of the fans. It's a win-win strategy.

Yeah, having the Ghostbusters franchise and fan base stigmatized to some extent by all the shenanigans that were pulled with Feig's 2016 "film" was bad enough.  However, with next year's Wonder Woman film, there is no warping of the established model in order to fit a exec/director's personal 'vision' for what they want. So no, this won't be Feiged up, or something like a Dozier "Who's Afraid of Diana Prince?" pilot. By all accounts, this Wonder Woman film comes across like a classic Wonder Woman story to me, just with a different time period (World War 1, late 1910's). Which automatically gives it a unique and distinct aesthetic than what we've seen previously in superhero-related period films.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 15 Jul  2016, 19:50
I've always had a soft spot for historical superhero films. I think maybe it stems from my love of old Golden Age comic books. Captain America: The First Avenger is the obvious example, but also older movies like The Rocketeer, The Shadow and The Phantom. Even the Burton Batman films had a semi-historical aesthetic going on, what with the fedoras and art deco production design. I'm hoping we'll see a little of that in this film.

I suppose the one good thing to come out of the Ghostbusters fiasco is that we know for a fact Wonder Woman will be rated 'fresh' on RT. We could launch a fake misogyny campaign like Sony did, tip off the press that people are badmouthing the concept of a female superhero, then watch the virtue signalling 'fresh' reviews pour in. I can just see the headlines now: "Sorry to ruin your childhoods, basement-dwelling misogynist manbabies, but Wonder Woman proves girls can be heroes too!" But unlike Ghostbusters, this movie will also have the full support of the fans. It's a win-win strategy.
You are right again. I have NO problem with women kicking ass and taking names. In fact, I love it. But what I don't like is hijacking brands. Say, taking Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, James Bond or other iconic brands and changing the lead role's gender. Make your own characters please. Wonder Woman is an existing brand so that's fine. She'll finally get her big screen debut, and fingers crossed it succeeds. The new pics get me excited for the overall product. The mythology of Wonder Woman being 5000 years old, and living those years - not being frozen, really separates her from Captain America. It's a key difference. If the film succeeds, I'm hoping DC do a trilogy.