Favorite Interpretation of the Wayne Murders

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 25 Sep 2014, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic
This article inspired me to write about the different times Bruce saw his parents killed before his eyes:
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/20160/20140925/gotham-supercut-time-batmans-parents-killed-screen-hits-internet.htm

'Gotham' recently added another interpretation to the mythos. With most cases, you absolutely know what's coming, but that doesn't stop the shock of the actual event.

The two best onscreen are Batman and Batman Begins. Batman Begins takes the spirit of the comic in that a petty thief is desperate for money, and his nerves get the best of him as he ends up killing the Waynes. The scene is well-directed in how abrupt it is, Joe Chill seems very uncomfortable with the act all the way through.

In my opinion, Batman has the best of them all. It's more artistically done, and really builds up the suspense as you can slowly see what happens. This one also gives us another variable; Jack Napier. In contrast to all previous interpretations, Napier's intent was murder. Keeping a sadistic smile on his face the whole time and almost gunning down Bruce himself? To me, that scenario would leave the biggest impression on anyone. The voice, distorted by memory, also adds more creepiness.

I didn't overly like the Gotham one. It wasn't terrible but it seemed pointless; if he was going to kill them no matter what, why rob them and THEN shoot them?

I liked both the live movie adaptations. I'll give the edge to Begins for the simple reason that it was Joe Chill. I know the identity of the killer doesn't make one scene in itself better but it sets up the overall story better. Not that I blame Burton and co for making it the joker, we have to always remember they intended that film to be a one off with no sequels. I like Joe Chill being the killer better; he's a low life thug having no clue what he got himself into with that mugging.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat, 27 Sep  2014, 08:19
Batman (1989) is still the best for me.
Same here.

It's more emotional, and therefore, powerful played as Bruce's memory rather than matter-of-factly, as has been the case in other interpretations.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Of the live action versions, it would be Batman (1989) for me. I like how subjective and nightmarishly distorted the whole thing is. The low-angle camera shots to convey the child's perspective. The distorted shadows in the smoke that make the muggers appear taller. The haunting music. It's exactly the way an adult would remember a childhood trauma.

Dare I say it, my favourite interpretation of the Wayne Murders is the Arkham Asylum video game version. That's the part where Batman continues to look for the Joker at Arkham Mansion, and the Scarecrow poisons Batman with his fear toxin for a second time; forcing him to relive those final moments with his parents.

I love how hallucinating, eerie and devastating the whole scene is. As you make Batman walk down the hall, everything slowly transforms into Crime Alley, and you hear the voices of his parents and the gunman in the background as the tragedy unfolds off-screen. A unique touch is Batman collapsing on his knees and mourns over his dead parents, and then he suddenly transforms into a kid again, and you can hear Jim Gordon defending him from a rude cop in the background. When Bruce sobs and asks Gordon why did his parents die, Jim's answer "I don't know. It's this city. There's something wrong with it." might have motivated Bruce to spend his whole life trying to save it.

Riveting.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

That is a beauty. Very atmospheric and moving.

We've had Burton, Schumacher and Nolan tackle the iconic scene and next up is Snyder. Looking forward to how he tackles it. From the trailers it seems to be in the slow motion, dramatic side of things.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Jan  2016, 08:01
That is a beauty. Very atmospheric and moving.

Indeed. The fact that it's interactive only enhances the experience even further.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  3 Jan  2016, 08:01
We've had Burton, Schumacher and Nolan tackle the iconic scene and next up is Snyder. Looking forward to how he tackles it. From the trailers it seems to be in the slow motion, dramatic side of things.

I noticed that some people criticized the Gotham TV version because Bruce screamed out of anger. They reckon that his reaction should always be nothing but stunned silence. No doubt the same criticism will apply to BvS because we see Bruce screaming in horror.

But I really don't understand what difference does it make. It's not like Bruce never got to express himself according to that situation. In fact, there's another version of the Wayne murders flashback where he tried to lash out at the gunman until he was knocked out in Detective Comics #574. It's nitpicking.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's good to see this scene revisited, and I liked the take they had on "Gotham". Let's see Zack Snyder's.

Someone mentioned the Arkham Asylum game - yes, agreed. It's this game and the 1989 film that have the most atmospheric. The flashbacks in Forever weren't bad either - they were like from a different movie. As for Snyder - we'll see. Watchmen allows someone to have high hopes.