Batman Game Retrospectives

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 11 Aug 2011, 23:10

Previous topic - Next topic
IGN has posted a visual history of the Batman games. You can see it here:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1187243p1.html

I don't think anyone's posted the Angry Video Game Nerd Batman reviews from 2008, so here they are. Be warned, they contain very strong language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvtk5toGJg&feature=channel_video_title

And for anyone who enjoyed the music in these reviews, here are Chris Holland's remixes of the various Batman themes.

I think I'll wait until I get out of work before I watch them!

Someone needs to do a comprehensive article about all of the Batman video games. And a video games section of the site would be pretty bitchin', Paul. I volunteer to bulk up any such possible section any way I can, should you like the idea. I personally would love to work on/read a comprehensive catalogue of all Batman games. He's had a lot, and so many of them good/excellent. More than people think.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

That sounds like a good idea, Doc. SilentEnigma seems very knowledgeable on the subject of Batman games. Maybe the two of you could compile an in-depth retrospective. It'd make a great feature in the run up to Arkham City's release this October. I know I'd be interested in reading it.

Certainly! I haven't played all of them, but I've played most of them. And I'll try to give the others a whirl, assuming I can find some emulators...
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

The new site lists video games.

The features section allows you to create an ongoing feature connected to any game, comic etc listed.

I am having trouble getting it to work at the moment...but I will work it out soon.

I love the idea!

Sat, 13 Aug 2011, 11:20 #6 Last Edit: Sat, 13 Aug 2011, 11:44 by SilentEnigma
This sounds like a neat idea, and the funny thing is that I was thinking about a restrospective too. I had some ideas in my head, but lack of time prevented me from even starting, and didn't know if any of you might be interested in such a thing.

A collaboration will make things a lot better.

So far the only Batman game I haven't seen emulated is Batman & Robin for Game.com, and I think it's not even worth mentioning as a footnote, lol

I don't know if there's enough time to coincide it with the release of Arkham City, but that would be perfect.

EDIT: SilverNemesis, I discovered AVGN from his Batman reviews in 2008 too. I think he's a very funny guy, and most of his reviews are very enjoyable (unless somone minds language that can make a sailor blush, lol)

I'll look forward to reading this feature when it's done. There seems to be a bunch of different Batman Returns games, so it'll be a useful reference to have them all listed in one place.

QuoteSilverNemesis, I discovered AVGN from his Batman reviews in 2008 too. I think he's a very funny guy, and most of his reviews are very enjoyable (unless somone minds language that can make a sailor blush, lol)

Yeah, I'm not usually a fan of expletive-heavy humour, but James Rolfe does it well. He plays the obnoxious nerd to perfection, and in real life he seems like a nice coolheaded person with a vast knowledge of cinema.

A while back he uploaded some videos counting down his 30 favourite movies. He ranked Batman (1989) 23rd on his list. You can see the bit where he discusses it at the 8:48 mark in this clip.

It's worth watching the rest of the countdown if you get time. He's got pretty eclectic taste.

After I read the IGN article a few days ago, I DL'd the B89 NES ROM. I can get to The Joker, but damn is he hard. The game brings back so many memories, and is my second favorite Bat-game.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 13 Aug  2011, 23:18
I'll look forward to reading this feature when it's done. There seems to be a bunch of different Batman Returns games, so it'll be a useful reference to have them all listed in one place.

QuoteSilverNemesis, I discovered AVGN from his Batman reviews in 2008 too. I think he's a very funny guy, and most of his reviews are very enjoyable (unless somone minds language that can make a sailor blush, lol)

Yeah, I'm not usually a fan of expletive-heavy humour, but James Rolfe does it well. He plays the obnoxious nerd to perfection, and in real life he seems like a nice coolheaded person with a vast knowledge of cinema.

A while back he uploaded some videos counting down his 30 favourite movies. He ranked Batman (1989) 23rd on his list. You can see the bit where he discusses it at the 8:48 mark in this clip.

It's worth watching the rest of the countdown if you get time. He's got pretty eclectic taste.

Yeah, agreed. This is what makes him one of the best online reviewers. His "Angry Nerd" persona is hilarious, but he is quite informed and knows what he's talking about. His other non-video game and non-Batman features (like his trip to the NY locations used for the filming of Ghostbusters) are worth watching too.

Well, better start playing with a Batman games retrospective to make an October "deadline". This will be fun. :)