Did Schumacher create the most visually appealing Batman movies?

Started by Wayne49, Wed, 28 Oct 2015, 01:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Vampfox on Thu, 31 Dec  2015, 19:11Too much neon for my taste.
I get that. But comics traditionally have been a very color-saturated medium. In his own way, Schumacher brought that aesthetic to the big screen. And in retrospect, I really cherish it.

And....I guess someone could argue the case that Max's power surplus thingy was a reason for the neon appearance of BF's Gotham. Not sure how one could spin that at the moment, but I'm sure it's possible.

I think it was Batman & Robin that destroyed that look. It reached the point where it was "too much", enough is enough. Even fans who choose interesting production design and ornate eclectic buildings over "realism", rolled their eyes when a car chase took place on a statue's arm, so gigantic that the cars looked like insects. It was ridiculous even for Batman standards. The cities in Burton's films were fantastical and interesting, but not ridiculous.

i loved gotham from BF. Closely followed by Returns
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

I just recently purchased a 60 inch flat screen with 4K resolution and I placed this movie in expecting a pretty nice visual. It was more than nice, everyone in the room was blown away.  Unlike allot of vintage and very popular movies like Jaws or Star Wars where the TV adjusts the screen for best visual performance (meaning some black bars), B&R gets to enjoy the full screen and is absolutely incredible. I felt like I was watching the movie new in the theater again. And it reminded me of this thread I started a while back. I'm going to be putting in the other Batman films and see how they play and report back. But without question B&R was just stellar. The production values in this film are off the charts good. And the Batmobile looked incredible.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Mon, 25 Jan  2016, 13:11And the Batmobile looked incredible.
Who else loves the BF Batmobile? I have the Hot Wheels Elite on my bookshelf and it's a real stunner. As a kid I had the generic toy version, which had the blue engine lighting up. The Hot Wheels Elite is a real upgrade, and while the Burtonmobile will always be a classic, I do admire the BF version. It's pure comic book in a way the Tumbler isn't, or even the Snyder Batmobile isn't. The Clooneymobile didn't work for me in the same way as Kilmer's.

I adore nearly everything about the art direction of BF, particularly the Batmobile. A big reason it worked for me was because it wasn't the Furst design. I liked how it fit into the universe of BF in a way that Furst's car wouldn't have.

What works best for me about the BF car is how it goes out of its way to be stylish. Furst's Batmobile is a vehicular predator while BF's Batmobile is sleeker and kind of a showoff.

I like the previous and subsequent Batmobiles. But man, the BF Batmobile is a bona fide classic in my opinion.

The B&R Batmobile is the only live action vehicle to date that wasn't built with a canopy, similar to how the car was drawn sometimes in the Pre-Crisis comics.

It's a bit of shame Schumacher didn't have Batman's cape waving in the air as he's speeding in the Batmobile, like he did in the comics. But then again, it's probably not even practical, nor safe, to do.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  1 Jan  2019, 07:23
I like the previous and subsequent Batmobiles. But man, the BF Batmobile is a bona fide classic in my opinion.
I do as well, all for different reasons. The stylish comic appearance of the BF Batmobile is something to be admired.

I used to think 'the back fin is too big, how will it fit under a low bridge?', as if that thought was disqualifying.

Now I see such complaints as irrelevant.