Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Started by Grissom, Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic
And I am very pleased that I have friends here. And more...  :)

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 13 Jan  2016, 17:56
Nice try, genius. The movie's been out nearly a month, everyone (even those who haven't seen it) knows Han's fate by now. The one you posted was two days after it came out or something. Big difference.

Better luck next time.
Well, one might argue that my SPOILER was less of a big deal especially for anyone who'd looked at the cast-list before watching the film.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 13 Jan  2016, 22:14
Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 13 Jan  2016, 17:56
Nice try, genius. The movie's been out nearly a month, everyone (even those who haven't seen it) knows Han's fate by now. The one you posted was two days after it came out or something. Big difference.

Better luck next time.
Well, one might argue that my SPOILER was less of a big deal especially for anyone who'd looked at the cast-list before watching the film.

That one can argue whatever he likes, the point is that when the whole mystery surrounding the leadup to the movie centers around Luke, you mentioning his appearance being brief constitutes a spoiler. No not a "Han dies" level spoiler but still a big one considering that was what everyone was talking about, "Where's Luke?" And then your dumbass comes along and says "oh he's here, but only briefly." But you're either too damn self-righteous or too damn stupid to comprehend the issue with that or with the other sh*t you do that drives everyone else up the damn wall, clearly. Or, more likely, a bit of both. You're almost too ignorant to be pompous but you still make the grade somehow.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 15 Jan  2016, 02:02
That one can argue whatever he likes, the point is that when the whole mystery surrounding the leadup to the movie centers around Luke, you mentioning his appearance being brief constitutes a spoiler. No not a "Han dies" level spoiler but still a big one considering that was what everyone was talking about, "Where's Luke?" And then your dumbass comes along and says "oh he's here, but only briefly." But you're either too damn self-righteous or too damn stupid to comprehend the issue with that or with the other sh*t you do that drives everyone else up the damn wall, clearly. Or, more likely, a bit of both. You're almost too ignorant to be pompous but you still make the grade somehow.
I've had a tough week.  I don't need your abuse.  On any other site you'd have been banned already for such unnecessarily personal comments.  I don't know why you haven't been yet.  You've used more than your nine lives.

Try to be civil with people please.  I am tempted to respond with an equally personal comment but I don't wish to be accused of double-standards or hypocrisy, even though I'm more than entitled to respond to a person who initiates abuse with abuse.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 15 Jan  2016, 02:36I'm more than entitled to respond to a person who initiates abuse with abuse.
I shall have to remember this.

By the by, this whole spoiler drama thing could be remedied easily enough if someone retitles this thread "Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)".

QuoteI shall have to remember this.
NO ONE has the right to abuse anyone, but of course a person has the right to respond to nastiness with abuse.

I still don't think it's the best way of dealing with hostility.  I prefer it if calmer and cooler minds prevail, which is why I stated that I wasn't going to respond in kind to Catwoman (no doubt I'll bow be accused of pomposity again for making such a statement, but I guess I can't win whatever I do).

But whilst I still don't think fighting fire with fire is ever a good idea, I do think that it is, in principle, 'fair'.  Not 'right', 'correct' or 'sensible' but 'fair'.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 15 Jan  2016, 02:36
Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 15 Jan  2016, 02:02
I've had a tough week.  I don't need your abuse.  On any other site you'd have been banned already for such unnecessarily personal comments.  I don't know why you haven't been yet.  You've used more than your nine lives.

Try to be civil with people please.  I am tempted to respond with an equally personal comment but I don't wish to be accused of double-standards or hypocrisy, even though I'm more than entitled to respond to a person who initiates abuse with abuse.

On any site with a moderator who had banned political discussion and was more in tune with American politics (can't be expected here given that Paul is Irish, which you have exploited nicely), your oh-so-unsubtle comments and attempts to bait other users (TDK, Colors, and myself especially) into more outright arguments so you can turn around and run to him and whine that rules are being broken and try to have us banned would have had your ass shipped out a long time ago. You should have at least been suspended for it.

And if you look around, I'm plenty nice and civil with just about everyone else. Thing is there is a lot of hostility here the last several months and the common denominator with that hostility is you.

Hope your week gets better. You're still an asshole.

Fri, 15 Jan 2016, 10:06 #207 Last Edit: Fri, 15 Jan 2016, 10:08 by Catwoman
Back on subject (and sorry to everyone else for that bit of deviation), has anyone else been following along with the "Where's Rey?" campaign about toys and stuff? Basically, everyone is complaining because there haven't been quite as many toys released of her outside of her standard action figures and stuff. The big thing is them keeping her out of the Monopoly game in favor of Finn (to go along with Luke, Vader, and Kylo Ren).

And I'm like, ok, I get it, but come on. If you put her in the game (which came out before the movie was released IIRC) you're spoiling one of the huge reveals of the movie which is her force sensitivity. Same with the action figure that has her with Luke's lightsaber. They had to freaking wait, people. But people are so impatient and just look for something to complain about. I mean, yes, I get it. If I was a lot younger I would want everything Rey I could get my hands on (instead I was more interested in trying to collect just the action figures of most of the main characters) or if I had a daughter I would have wanted to put a ton of Rey under the Christmas Tree, and there has definitely been a bit less of her compared to other characters. But a lot of that is out of necessity to preserve the plot. I'm amazed how so many people fail to grasp that.

And on top of that, she was already so popular even before the movie came out that what WAS out wasn't out long because it sold out. It took me forever (well relatively speaking lol) to find my Rey action figure and that was by complete accident. Dollar General has Star Wars toys? Who knew! :P

But alls well that ends well I guess, there are a ton of toys of her coming out in the next wave of stuff including a new Monopoly version that has her.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 15 Jan  2016, 09:57On any site with a moderator who had banned political discussion and was more in tune with American politics (can't be expected here given that Paul is Irish, which you have exploited nicely), your oh-so-unsubtle comments and attempts to bait other users (TDK, Colors, and myself especially) into more outright arguments so you can turn around and run to him and whine that rules are being broken and try to have us banned would have had your ass shipped out a long time ago. You should have at least been suspended for it.

And if you look around, I'm plenty nice and civil with just about everyone else. Thing is there is a lot of hostility here the last several months and the common denominator with that hostility is you.

Hope your week gets better. You're still an asshole.
What's the fact that Paul is Irish got to do with anything?  You're the one who has shamelessly brought it up as if it is material to anything.

And how dare you suggest that this site should pander to conservative Americans.  If you want a Batman site that does that, Batman on Film, run by Jett, already exists.  You and any other conservative Americans on this site are welcome to become members and regular contributors to that site.  Luckily this is an objective, non-political site, far less a conservative American one.  And since you've brought politics into the topic, bear in mind that the US has supported a liberal presidential candidate in the last two elections, and looks poised to make political history by giving a successive third term to another liberal in November (and God help the world, particularly minorities such as Mexicans and Muslims, along with most women, the mentally ill and the poor, if they don't).

If you can't accept a difference of opinion, that's your problem, but that does not excuse personal abuse and insults, something which I have not directed towards you (the worst you could accuse me of is calling your behaviour 'shameless' with respect to your irrelevant reference to Paul being Irish which is hardly on par with calling a person an 'asshole' or 'stupid', 'ignorant' and 'pompous' entirely unprovoked).

In any case, you have just basically admitted that you think I should be forced to leave this site simply because my political views do not correspond with yours and a couple of others (and whatever my political differences with say colors, at least he has been civil and polite, and certainly not resorted to nasty personal insults, the same for that matter can be said of TDK as much as he may despise many of my views).

Fri, 15 Jan 2016, 19:42 #209 Last Edit: Fri, 15 Jan 2016, 19:44 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 15 Jan  2016, 17:50And how dare you suggest that this site should pander to conservative Americans.
This is an example of what's called "framing the argument". At no time did she say this site should do that. However, her other remarks are so accurate as to be convicting and so you seized upon a comment she made in passing rather than addressing her real point (ie, you provoke people and then hide behind a mod for protection).

And then...

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 15 Jan  2016, 17:50In any case, you have just basically admitted that you think I should be forced to leave this site simply because my political views do not correspond with yours and a couple of others (and whatever my political differences with say colors, at least he has been civil and polite, and certainly not resorted to nasty personal insults, the same for that matter can be said of TDK as much as he may despise many of my views).
This is mischaracterizing the argument. She didn't say you should be banned for having a different opinion. She said you have a history of provoking other members who have opinions with which you disagree and then trying to have a mod ban them... and were you to attempt that little stunt on some other forum, the mod would probably ban you just to simplify his own situation.

There's no need to deflect or mischaracterize in this discussion; sticking to the points will be good enough.