Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Started by Grissom, Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic
I mentioned this to Edd/Max on Facebook today (or was it yesterday? sleep deprivation is kicking my asssss). Since Disney/Lucasfilm did away with the EU as it was maybe they should use that opportunity to introduce certain characters into the new movies and make them officially part of the new canon or whatever (for some reason I'm hearing C-3PO talking about the rebels now being a part of the Ewok tribe lol). The one I specifically mentioned was Prince Xizor from Shadows of the Empire (and of course his badass blonde android henchgirl Guri ;D ). I think he would make a far better rival for Kylo Ren than General Opie Taylor. I never read any of the EU books except the epic Shadows of the Empire comic and its sequel called "Evolution" which is about what happens with Guri after Xizor is killed by Vader(it was sooooo good)  but maybe some of the other real popular characters from those stories could be used?

Well, as far as I know, in the EU even Luke had a child. I haven't read much of the "future" stories, honestly, I was more interested in the Old Republic and the Clone Wars.

A lot of possibilities, they could take a hint or two, especially about Xizor.

Maybe there are fans here who know more.

It's interesting "Shadows of the Empire" got brought up, considering that "Shadow of the Empire" was a title that was considered for Episode 7 before "The Force Awakens" was ultimately decided upon. Which I'm kinda glad of, due to my memories of "Shadows of the Empire" getting a good bit of publicity back in 1996 as a major Star Wars event (A novel, Games, Comics, Action Figures, ect Pretty much everything without having an actual fully realized film.) and which was just prior to the re-releases the following year in 1997.

Putting the EU out to pasture is kinda like the fallout of "Crisis on Infinite Earths". On one hand, you're effectively eliminating alot of good material, but on another, you're now allowed to re-introduce characters without having to adhere to whatever continuity/personality/rivalry that was established previously with those same said characters. I've read rumors about Benicio Del Toro playing Grand Admiral Thrawn which would be neat.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  9 Jan  2016, 00:25It's interesting "Shadows of the Empire" got brought up, considering that "Shadow of the Empire" was a title that was considered for Episode 7 before "The Force Awakens" was ultimately decided upon.
Do you mean Heir to the Empire?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  9 Jan  2016, 02:25
Do you mean Heir to the Empire?

No. Though I know what you're referring to is the 1st book of the Thrawn Trilogy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/12/28/star-wars-the-force-awakens-was-once-called-shadow-of-the-empire/

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Ahhhhh, Episode VII was originally titled "Shadows of the Empire", eh? Huh, guess I can see why the changed the title. Because, um, there's already a "Shadows of the Empire". It may not be canon anymore but it still exists.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri,  8 Jan  2016, 21:46
The Dark Side is about dedication to power. That's inherently selfish. There's nothing wrong with wanting what's good for you. But there is something wrong with getting what's good for you by using force (so to speak) to take it from others.

The Good Side is characterized by willing the good of other people. At their purest, I think this is why the Jedi lived a relatively ascetic life and were taught to not develop attachments to anything or anyone. If your life is so dedicated to helping others that you act only for someone else's good, it's theoretically less likely you'll use your power to harm others.
Would you consider blowing up the strongman and shooting the Joker's men an act of selfishness? I would consider it an act for the greater good, and not making Batman a bad person. I think the Jedi are inherently good, but lack the decisiveness to deal with threats. If power is missused at the expense of child killers like Anakin, it's no loss.

Without Anakin, there would be no Luke either. The Dark Side and the Light Side may be opposites, but they are  opposing sides of the Force. Same as how the Sith focus on themselves for power, while the Jedi have compassion.

And once again, I don't think the Jedi of the prequels were "good" or that Anakin was "evil". In the original films, it was pretty clear. And those films actually worked better. There's something appealing about the good guys fighting evil... especially when it comes to destroying giant space stations.  :)

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  9 Jan  2016, 03:13Would you consider blowing up the strongman and shooting the Joker's men an act of selfishness? I would consider it an act for the greater good, and not making Batman a bad person. I think the Jedi are inherently good, but lack the decisiveness to deal with threats. If power is missused at the expense of child killers like Anakin, it's no loss.
Those instances you cite were still in defense of the city and of the people. A bit brutal, perhaps, but still ultimately benevolent.

On the other hand, I have a very hard time seeing Batman as a pure virtuous hero anyway so there you go.

Sat, 9 Jan 2016, 06:53 #179 Last Edit: Sat, 9 Jan 2016, 07:23 by Max Shreck
From RotS novelization.

"It is said that if one could ever entirely comprehend a single
grain of sand—really, truly understand everything about it—one
would, at the same time, entirely comprehend the universe.
Who's to say that a Sith, by looking inward, sees less than a Jedi
does by looking out?"

"From a Jedi's point of view," Palpatine allowed. "Evil is a label
we all put on those who threaten us, isn't it? Yet the Sith and the
Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater
power."

"The Jedi's quest is for greater understanding," Anakin
countered. "For greater knowledge of the Force—"
"Which brings with it greater power, does it not?"

"Well... yes." Anakin had to laugh. "I should know better than to
argue with a politician."

"We're not arguing, Anakin. We're just talking." Palpatine
shifted his weight, settling in comfortably. "Perhaps the real difference
between the Jedi and the Sith lies only in their orientation;
a Jedi gains power through understanding, and a Sith gains
understanding through power. This is the true reason the Sith
have always been more powerful than the Jedi. The Jedi fear the
dark side so much they cut themselves off from the most important
aspect of life: passion. Of any kind. They don't even allow
themselves to love."

Except for me, Anakin thought. But then, I've never been exactly
the perfect Jedi.

"The Sith do not fear the dark side. The Sith have no fear.
They embrace the whole spectrum of experience, from the
heights of transcendent joy to the depths of hatred and despair.
Beings have these emotions for a reason, Anakin. That is why the
Sith are more powerful: they are not afraid to feel."

"The Sith rely on passion for strength," Anakin said, "but
when that passion runs dry, what's left?"

"Perhaps nothing. Perhaps a great deal. Perhaps it never runs
dry at all. Who can say?"

"The Jedi are selfless—we erase the self, to join with the flow
of the Force. We care only about others..."

Palpatine again gave him that smile of gentle wisdom. "Or so
you've been trained to believe. I hear the voice of Obi-Wan
Kenobi in your answers, Anakin. What do you really think?"

Anakin suddenly found the ballet a great deal more interesting