Have We Been the Luckiest?

Started by DarkHeart, Thu, 6 Aug 2009, 05:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks Johnny.  You have been most helpful.

I agree that BTTF is the best trilogy! I have always thought that since I first seen the films. Not a big Star Wars fan. Thought LOTR was boring. I like Indiana Jones. Temple of Doom is my fav! But Last Crusade turned into too much of a comedy. Godfather 3 there was no need! Tho I havent seen the Good Bad and Ugly trilogy....

"RUN FOR IT MARTY!"

I really like Last Crusade.  Mainly because of the dynamic between Ford and Connery - Ford always works best when he's got someone to throw lines off, and as good as Short Round was, Connery is a pro when it comes to this type of stuff.  The comedy also gave Marcus Brody (Denholm Elliot) and Sallah (John Rhys Davis) more to do.  I thought Alison Doody was the sexiest Indy woman (although Karen Allen was the best female character and the one you'd want to marry, after you'd dated Willie and Elsa  ;D), and I found Walter Donavon to be the most heinous villain of all the films (he was a rich, treacherous Nazi collaborator), whereas I always got the impression that Belloq was on the verge of changing sides and kind of felt bad for him when he died.  On the subject, Donavon's death always sticks in my memory - "What's happening to me?"   ;D

However, I do think Temple of Doom has the best opening of all the Indy films ('Anything Goes!'), and the best set-pieces (the mine-train pursuit and the rope-bridge confrontation), along with the best score in the series (I like how John Williams wasn't content to rest on his laurels and go entirely with the Raiders score, but actually enhanced it, especially in the scene in which Indy rescues the slave-children).

I also agree with a comment made elsewhere that George Lucas effectively screwed Indy 4 (not just because of the CGI but because he threw out so many scripts including one by Frank Darabont the master behind the Shawshank Redemption).

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think the ones that got it best are those that were old enough as children to enjoy Tim Burton's Batmen in their time and appreciate the difference between Returns and Forever, teenage enough to be familiar with a variety of swearwords for commenting on Batman & Robin, and then as adults, still young enough to enjoy Nolan's with a child-like enthusiasm.  :P