Have We Been the Luckiest?

Started by DarkHeart, Thu, 6 Aug 2009, 05:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello my Batman brethren,

This is my first post, so I hope it goes over well.  As a life long Batman fan, I have started to think that we have been the luckiest comic book fans.  Let me explain.  In the last 20 years, we have had two Burton Batman flicks, an amazing animated series about Batman, two forgettable Schumacher Batman movies, and two Nolan Batman films.  Not to mention quite a few great graphic novels dedicated to the Dark Knight.

So...have we, as fans, been the luckiest?  I recognize that the Schumacher flicks were not highlights for the World's Greatest Detective...but aside from those two films, we have had (depending on your preference) four solid movies about the Caped Crusader.  I actually enjoy all of the movies (to a varying degree), and all of them have at least 20 years or so worth of comic history to back them up.

I start this topic in the hopes of somewhat uniting all of us.  From what I have read on this forum, it seems like we must choose between the Burton films and the Nolan films.  I can't.  I love them equally.  The Burton films and the animated series are what made me Batman fans, and the Nolan movies have only help solidify my love of the Bat.   Thank God for Burton, Nolan, and all others who keep Bob Kane's creation alive and well.

Thu, 6 Aug 2009, 06:25 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 6 Aug 2009, 08:14 by The Dark Knight
Batman fans do get a good deal. There's usually always something new out or something in the process of being made. Plus there is always a ton of other merchandise behind the product.

yeah, bat fans do have it good, us bttf fans dont have it so good...
Fasten your setbelts securely. Any unfastened belt will cause the mission to be aborted.
Batcave security prohibits photography of any type, Thankyou for your attention.

Quote from: bttfspencer on Thu,  6 Aug  2009, 10:00yeah, bat fans do have it good, us bttf fans dont have it so good...
Aside from that awful Saturday morning cartoon, you guys have an immaculate trilogy.  There's a lot to be said for making more and more high quality follow ups... but there's also a lot to be said for knowing when to leave well enough alone.

For my money, BTTF is the greatest trilogy ever.

Wow, I think you're the first person besides me to think that as well, Colors.  For my money, Back to the Future is the best trilogy.  The original is one of my favorite movies, and the sequels aren't too far behind.

As for us Bat-fans...we do seem to have the most to cheer about in regards to new merchandise.  For that I am extremely thankful.  I guess I should have clarified...I meant that for the last 20 years or so, we have been the luckiest comic book fans.

Quote from: DarkHeart on Thu,  6 Aug  2009, 18:05Wow, I think you're the first person besides me to think that as well, Colors.  For my money, Back to the Future is the best trilogy.  The original is one of my favorite movies, and the sequels aren't too far behind.
Well, not to deflate you any but BTTF is sort of the best by attrition.  Star Wars is not a trilogy anymore.  I only recognize two Godfather films.  LOTR is long, slow, boring as hell and utterly effin' pointless.  Indiana Jones wasn't a bona fide trilogy even before Crystal Skull came along.  The Scream films were never going to be a contender because part 1 hasn't aged well, part 2 is waaaaay over the top and part 3 doesn't take itself seriously enough.  BTTF would've placed high in the running no matter what but it's the best for sheer lack of competition.

QuoteAs for us Bat-fans...we do seem to have the most to cheer about in regards to new merchandise.  For that I am extremely thankful.  I guess I should have clarified...I meant that for the last 20 years or so, we have been the luckiest comic book fans.
I can kinda see that in some ways.

But then I remember that Superman (in some form or another) has been starring in TV shows, movies and cartoons continuously for the past 22 years.  Again, non-stop.  For as good as I've had it as a Batman fan, nothing compares with the Superman output of the past two decades in terms of sheer volume.

Some excellent points colors.  I would probably have argued that Indiana Jones was a trilogy equal of BTTF prior to the disappointing Crystal Skull, but you're pretty spot on about the rest. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Lord of the Rings either, and I always feel like a social pariah when I venture such an opinion.  Nothing against Peter Jackson.  I adore King Kong and Heavenly Creatures, and I like The Frighterners a lot, but I remain relatively unmoved by The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  I like fantasy, but more in the Labyrinth/Terry Gilliam vein (i.e. the stuff with a sense of humour - see also most of Tim Burton's non-Batman films).  The Rings films take themselves way too seriously.  I find them overly-portentous, and feel that most of the CGI is overrated and tends to remind me of bad computer-game graphics.  Contrast the Lord of the Rings' effects with The Abyss, T2, and of course the BTTF films, all of whom's effects still stand up today, partly thanks to their sparing use.

If you exclude the original Star Wars 'trilogy' and Indiana Jones (which are not really trilogies) the BTTF films do, as you say, win the best trilogy accolade by attrition.  Although I don't think Parts 2 or 3 hold a candle to the first film which is a popcorn classic (and among my all-time favourite films), they are still massively superior to 90% of today's blockbusters.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Well, not to deflate you any but BTTF is sort of the best by attrition.  Star Wars is not a trilogy anymore.  I only recognize two Godfather films.  LOTR is long, slow, boring as hell and utterly effin' pointless.  Indiana Jones wasn't a bona fide trilogy even before Crystal Skull came along.  The Scream films were never going to be a contender because part 1 hasn't aged well, part 2 is waaaaay over the top and part 3 doesn't take itself seriously enough.  BTTF would've placed high in the running no matter what but it's the best for sheer lack of competition.

No, I know what you mean.  BTTF is sort of the best by default, but I guess I just prefer the story, acting, and overall feeling of the BTTF movies over Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, and the Godfather movies.  I guess I just think that it, as a trilogy, flows the best.  Also, I think it's easily the most re-watchable.

But then I remember that Superman (in some form or another) has been starring in TV shows, movies and cartoons continuously for the past 22 years.  Again, non-stop.  For as good as I've had it as a Batman fan, nothing compares with the Superman output of the past two decades in terms of sheer volume.
[/quote]

I see what you mean.  I guess I just feel that we as Batman fans have had the highest quality movies, animated series, and graphic novels. 

Sorry guys...I'm still new with this forum.  I'm not sure how to use the quotes correctly. 

Quote from: DarkHeart on Thu,  6 Aug  2009, 20:58
Sorry guys...I'm still new with this forum.  I'm not sure how to use the quotes correctly. 

No problem DarkHeart.  To the right of each post on a thread it should give you a quote option.  Just click that and it should instantly take you to a 'post reply' page.  Simply edit out the portion of the quote you don't want by deleting within the two seperate 'quote' brackets - one at the top with the name of the poster you're quoting and the topic code, and the bottom brackets which just have 'quote'.

I was exactly the same when I started.  There are still a few things I have a problem with.  Can any of you guys tell me how I can delete a post if I need to?

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.