Most annoying character of the Burton era?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 27 Jan 2019, 07:41

Previous topic - Next topic
The mayor in BR is sort of annoying from the angle that he represents the Ineffectual Politician trope. I don't mind the trope itself. Largely because it has a considerable basis in reality. Rather, it's the fact that many local politicians are so hopeless and incompetent that bugs me. A hapless, helpless, clueless mayor who has somehow failed upwards into a position of some prominence is something I think many of us can relate to in some rather unpleasant ways.

So, he gets my vote, as it were.

To be clear, this is no condemnation of the actor, who plays the role magnificently.

Now, this next might be due to my complete lack of connection to New York City. But Mayor Borg from B89 serving as an Ed Koch figure doesn't rly bother me too much. The specificity of Mayor Borg is probably what saves him in my mind. I care nothing for NYC or Koch so the obviousness of Borg's irl inspirations don't put me off one bit. But the general verisimilitude of BR's mayor is what becomes needles under my fingernails. In a sense, Shreck was right to want a new mayor. A handpicked puppet is obviously a problem. But the bit about wanting someone new is completely understandable.