Influences/Homages to previous movies

Started by GothamAlleys, Wed, 17 Nov 2010, 03:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Im trying to find out which thingsa were taken exclusively and directly from Burton/Schumacher films. So far what I can think of is:

1. The suit - the idea of black armor, sculpted expression on the mask and black makeup on the eyes
2. Two Face's death - they both fall while tossing their coin and when they die the coin falls showing the unscratched side
3. GCN aka GNN

Anything else?

In both Forever and Begins little Bruce falls through some wooden opening into the cave with the bats, but thats something from the comics as far as I know

Wed, 17 Nov 2010, 04:08 #1 Last Edit: Sat, 20 Nov 2010, 04:24 by phantom stranger
There's a lot and I've been meaning to put together an extensive list one of these days. Some have been discussed in other threads.

Off the top of my head:

-- Sonar Eyes in Batman Forever/Dark Knight
--Batmissile= Batpod
-- "Who/What are you?" "I'm Batman." (in '89 and Begins)
-- Bruce saves Vicki/Rachel--races the Batmobile with her in it and then takes her back to the Batcave where they discuss Joker/Scarecrow's poison.
-- Clown says "He missed" but Batman really didn't miss. It was just a diversion.

What am I talking about? Of course the scene in Batman Returns where Batman uses the grappling hook to latch onto the brick and knock out the clown. And in Dark Knight when uses the grappling hook to latch onto the truck and knock out the clown(s).

Good stuff, I just remembered more - the mob meeting with Joker in TDK and the "youre crazy" comment. And of course, Joker standing in the middle of the street and the "hit me" comment, same as Joker waiting and inviting the upcoming Batwing

Sat, 20 Nov 2010, 00:43 #3 Last Edit: Sat, 20 Nov 2010, 00:54 by Uncle Bingo
-The idea of the cape "hardening" into a glider was first seen in Batman Returns.

-The use of a grappling hook pistol, 89 was the first time Batman was EVER seen using such a device, with the only exception being Dark Knight Returns, but it was shot out of a rifle. And it just shot lines that he had to balance and walk across on, it didn't pull him anywhere.

-The "Mangler" used at the beginning of The Dark Knight looked a lot like that curious device Keaton extended from his gauntlet to knock out the somersaulting thug at the end of 89.

-The Joker murders a mobster with a writing implement.

-In 89 when Joker and Batman first enter Viki's apartment, they both say "Nice place, lot's of space." In TDK they both throw the alcohol out their glass when they arrive at the party.

Sat, 20 Nov 2010, 04:24 #4 Last Edit: Sat, 20 Nov 2010, 04:30 by phantom stranger

What's funny about the cape/hang-glider thing is that it's actually the one thing that is LESS realistic than the comics. Back when I read the comics regularly, I don't think I ever came across one where Batman's cape turns into a hang-glider. When he wanted to fly, he would put on a separate hang-glider (which of course had Bat-wings). It was the same thing in BTAS.

In Batman Returns, he has a brief flight, but then in the Nolan films he does it all the time.

But that's a topic for a different thread...

There's actually a few similarities between Begins and some of the earlier drafts of Burton's Batman, especially Mankiewicz's draft. 

Off the top of my head:
- The adult Bruce going down to the caves, only to be greeted by a swarm of bats, which leads him to want to wear a bat costume.
- The Batmobile unexpectedly "flies" or jumps from the top of a parking garage (while Batman has his girlfriend in the passenger seat).
- The Sam Hamm first draft indicates that Gordon was the officer who comforted Bruce right after the deaths of his parents.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Oh yeah, I remember Pat Hingle talking about that on the dvd. That also made it's way into the Arkham Asylum video game. I wonder if you can see something about that in newspaper Knox shows Vale?

I just remembered a big one, the shielded gauntlets used to block swords. They played big part in Begins with the League of Shadows and everything.

Sun, 21 Nov 2010, 21:44 #8 Last Edit: Sun, 21 Nov 2010, 21:52 by SilentEnigma
The most obvious, even my non-fan friends caught them.

Batman's first line, in costume, was "I'm Batman". It's played out similarly to B89, the bad guy is grabbed by the collar, and he asks "What (the hell) are you".

The Joker hanging from somewhere, searchlights illuminate his white face.

The "bullfight" scene. The Joker vs. some Bat-vehicle in a long-long street.

Zimmer's musical homage to the Elfman theme in TDK (it's heard in the first nightime scene, after the bank robbery prologue, and then in the final track of the OST album).

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun, 21 Nov  2010, 21:44

Zimmer's musical homage to the Elfman theme in TDK (it's heard in the first nightime scene, after the bank robbery prologue, and then in the final track of the OST album).

I've heard the soundtrack a million times and I have yet to hear an homage to the Elfman theme. I know you guys have mentioned it before but I haven't caught it. Can someone be more specific--as in exactly how many minutes into the piece?