The Orville

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 23 Jul 2020, 19:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Star Trek is so woke these days that it's just unbearable. So I started watching The Orville. So far, it's not as humanistic as TOS was but it's still pretty good. It's topical at times without being ideological. Which is like TOS. Y'know, that as opposed to the progressive screed that Trek has devolved into in recent times.

When people say The Orville is kind of like TNG fanfic, I can understand what they mean. But it's obviously different enough to avoid legal issues. And honestly, the differences between The Orville and TNG tend to benefit The Orville, imo. But yes, you can't really miss the similarities to TNG. It's even got a lot of old TNG cast and crew working behind the scenes. So there's some pretty good authenticity going there. Very much welcome, I think.

Anyway. All in all, not a bad little show. I mean, it's not great. But not bad either! I'm only in the first season so who knows what's to come? But all in all, I recommend it to Trek fans who are looking for an alternative.

I'm not a fan of MacFarlane, but I've been meaning to check this show out for a while now. I've seen a lot of people online referencing it in relation to Discovery and Picard, saying that The Orville is much truer in tone to the utopian ideals of classic Trek than the dystopian nihilism of Kurtzman's shows. I will get around to watching it at some point.

Incidentally, Picard is another textbook example of how not to bring back a beloved hero. Keaton and Muschietti should take note.

The first season episodes I've watched so far have a lot of heart... but MacFarlane is a comedian first and foremost. My way of processing the show is that the Union basically is the Federation in everything but name while the crew of The Orville are the ne'er do wells of Starfleet that we never got to see on TNG. Because there's a fair amount of juvenile humor going on. The Orville crewmen are not Enterprise-quality officers but they still get the job done.

So. The good news. Finished up season 02. And man, what a ride! Great stories, great characters, great execution! Loved it!

The bad news. Aaaaaaaaaaand it's gone:

https://www.thecinemaspot.com/2020/08/01/exclusive-the-orville-canceled-after-third-season-at-hulu

Rumor has it that MacFarlane has been courted to take over Star Trek. Here's hoping that's what's actually going on. Because I'm seriously bummed about this news.

Mind you, if anybody has a history of producing shows that can survive cancellation, it's MacFarlane.

Blah blah blah, apparently it wasn't cancelled after all.

Anyway, season 03 is up on Hulu. Season 02 was pretty epic so there was some clean up to do starting this season. But overall, I'm enjoying it.

Apparently, season 03 is officially the show's last. But it looks like it'll go out on a strong note.

Season 03 was just a botched effort. So much potential. And so much of it wasted on Isaac and Claire. Plus, MacFarlane's own character was largely sidelined for the season.

In the final analysis, The Orville ended on a pathetic whimper rather than a bang.

For anyone who's never seen it, I would suggest stopping after season 02. Only pain will you find in the third season.