The Dark Knight Criticism

Started by Azrael, Thu, 31 Jul 2008, 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic
Most of the harsh critisicms on the Burton films one can read in forums are about what those films ARE NOT, not really about how these films fail in what they try to do.

Exactly. Some people can't accept them for what they are.

It seems Nolanites have a problem with Burton and Burtonites have a problem with Nolanites - which pretty much sums up who is the chicken and who is the egg.

Sat, 2 Aug 2008, 12:34 #22 Last Edit: Sat, 2 Aug 2008, 12:36 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: raleagh on Sat,  2 Aug  2008, 10:40
Exactly. Some people can't accept them for what they are.

It seems Nolanites have a problem with Burton and Burtonites have a problem with Nolanites - which pretty much sums up who is the chicken and who is the egg.

Yes. Let me add that even though I have been going into a tirade against Burton, it can be said to be a defence mechanism against the Nolan criticism. I do accept the Burton films for what they are, but I'm in between a rock and a hard place sometimes. For that, I'm sorry. I will try and turn that off and focus on Burton.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  2 Aug  2008, 12:34
Yes. Let me add that even though I have been going into a tirade against Burton, it can be said to be a defence mechanism against the Nolan criticism.

This happened to me a few years ago when I was searching for any news on a BB sequel and found BOF.  I thought for sure the people there would be excited about BB but still respectful and appreciative of the Burton films.  Instead I found a Burton bash fest.  So even though I enjoyed BB, I became a "Burtonite" by default even when I didn't know what a "Burtonite" or "Nolanite" was.  These days, with some of the unfair criticisms TDK has received from some Burtonites (not neccessarily from these boards), I find myself being pushed towards the center as I love both B89 and TDK (TDK slightly more at this juncture). 

I suppose the moral of the story is trying not to fall into the trap of taking criticisms of one's beloved Batfilm too personally and try to appreciate elements in both Batfilm incarnations.  Maybe the key to unification is to focus on things the two sides have in common, a disgust for the Shumacher debacles ;)
I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

I was on the IMDB and man are them Nolanite fans annoying!!!!!

They really dont have a clue. I can only assume they are teenage brats. They dont know what they are talking about.

Example,
On one hand they dont like the way Burton changed who killed the Waynes and Joker died, but its ok for the character of Harvey Dent and Two Face to be 'metophorically' raped in TDK!!

Also apparently Jack Napier falling into the acid is a fault now......
Even though that is a fact how the Joker was created.

My god they make my blood boil. They claim to 'know it all' about batman, But their knowledge is '0'.

Its this type of behaviour that puts me off BB and TDK.
I dont know why I go to them forums, they are bitter people.

Quote from: Joker81 on Sat,  2 Aug  2008, 13:42

They are ignorant then. This scene is faithful to the comic, they know little about the comic Batman. It seems they are being unfair to Burton for no apparent reason.

Quote from: Joker81 on Sat,  2 Aug  2008, 13:42
I hope not. They are good films. Don't be swayed by some stupid, ignorant trolls.

Thanks the dark knight. I know how passionate you are about TDK, thats great to hear you saying that.

And I was really starting to warm to TDK, but these guys annoy me!

I think Batman and TDK are really good Batman films, and we shouldnt compare or judge, but praise them. They are both different type of films. They are both a product of their time. We should appreciate we can go back and look at a different type of Batman film now near 20 years old.
It seems to me these guys on IMDB are just out the slam Batman and Returns. They cant talk about anything good about TDK. They just bash the Burton films. That sickens me. Shows you the size of their brians.

Being a true film and Batman fan I'm just happy as that 3 great actors have portrayed and put in great performances of the greatest villian ever created!

I was on the IMDB and man are them Nolanite fans annoying!!!!!

They really dont have a clue. I can only assume they are teenage brats. They dont know what they are talking about.

Example,
On one hand they dont like the way Burton changed who killed the Waynes and Joker died, but its ok for the character of Harvey Dent and Two Face to be 'metophorically' raped in TDK!!

My god they make my blood boil. They claim to 'know it all' about batman, But their knowledge is '0'.

I dont know why I go to them forums, they are bitter people.

Eghhh i know 100% what you mean. I came from imdb(someone showed me this site on there) and since 05 there was always bashing from Nolan fans but it wasn't that bad at least you could talk about the film without someone ruining the fourm. But as the TDK came closer it got worse and worse each month with nothing but stupid topics and people insulting you over a movie for god sake and i just had enough and just gave up on the site and hated everything about Begins and anyone that liked it.

But then after i left i saw Begin on tv and figered i would watch it again and since i was no longer being insulted i LOVED it i still like think the Burton movies are better but it was great and i loved TDK so really i think you just have to stay away from the trolls and i swear you will find the Nolan movies better.

agreed. I don't understand why the "nolanites" are so defensive... I mean come on....we are all bat fans are we?? They seemed to be really ashamed of the past films... which I dunno why. Hell I myself love TDK to death but I appreciate alot of the 1989 Batman. Sure as hell it has flaws but so what?! that's the first attempt to create a serious batman back in the 80's and that film gave us hell of a ride!! I am not a fan of the next three films but certainly I just won't be too critical about them.

It's a mystery that's for sure. I think because people still like the older movies and in the mind of Nolan fans thats a sin, stupid i know but they just think that Begins and The Dark Knight are the greatest movies in the world(eg Putting TDK at on imdb and giving The Godfather a 1 out of 10 so it can't takes it's place ::)) and nothing is better and because Batman was soo good and is still loved they just can't stand it and try to rip it about to try to convince to world that there moives are best its just pathetic.

I love the Nolan films and have never said anything mean to anyone just because they like them but i can say the i have seen every Batman movie and IMHO Batman and Batman Returns are the best and if you don't like that TS.