The Dark Knight Criticism

Started by Azrael, Thu, 31 Jul 2008, 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic
I have to say, Christian Bale did go a little too far with his voice. In Batman Begins it wasn't so bad, but in TDK it's really deep at times and that's why that video on Youtube is so funny, because he really does sound like that in the film.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Quote from: Joker89 on Fri,  1 Aug  2008, 18:42
I have to say, Christian Bale did go a little too far with his voice. In Batman Begins it wasn't so bad, but in TDK it's really deep at times and that's why that video on Youtube is so funny, because he really does sound like that in the film.

I concur. Head movements are a minor infraction. The vocals, obviously, are a bigger part of the performance, and conttributes to my personal belief that Bale was the Weakest link in TDK.

I actually think that the whole Rachael Dawes character in TDK is the weakest link of the film. Nolan still tried to build a storyline with Rachael being the love interest of Bruce Wayne. Which we all know should have ended in Begins. Instead they replace Katie Holmes with another actress and ruin most of the film's plot because of some ridiculous love-triangle(as seen in Spider-Man).

They kill Rachael Dawes off by the middle of the movie. Does this add any value to the story? No. To tell you the truth, it doesn't. Why? It wasn't the same actress that played as the original Rachael Dawes. So it's basically Nolan telling the viewers that even though this is not Katie Holmes, it's still Bruce Wayne's childhood firend, Rachael Dawes. And we should erase Katie Holmes from our heads, when we think of Batman Begins. So of course how can we_the viewers feel any sympathy for someone who wasn't even in the first film(but technically was)?
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."

Fri, 1 Aug 2008, 22:02 #13 Last Edit: Fri, 1 Aug 2008, 22:04 by raleagh
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri,  1 Aug  2008, 20:31
I concur. Head movements are a minor infraction.

Actually I am really annoyed that they had Fox say "You want to be able to move your head" when talking about the new suit.

We are supposed to suspend our belief that Batman can't move his head (that issue arises from creating a movie costume that looks aesthetically pleasing) and accept that the costume provides Bruce with all his needs.  Not being able to move his head is in the same arena as applying black make-up to his eyes - it's for movie effect only - although I am sure there will be a gadget for that in the next movie too!

I mean if this new series is supposed to be real-worldly, then why would Batman run around in a suit for over a year and not be able to move his head????

Quote from: raleagh on Fri,  1 Aug  2008, 22:02
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Fri,  1 Aug  2008, 20:31
I concur. Head movements are a minor infraction.

Actually I am really annoyed that they had Fox say "You want to be able to move your head" when talking about the new suit.

We are supposed to suspend our belief that Batman can't move his head (that issue arises from creating a movie costume that looks aesthetically pleasing) and accept that the costume provides Bruce with all his needs.  Not being able to move his head is in the same arena as applying black make-up to his eyes - it's for movie effect only - although I am sure there will be a gadget for that in the next movie too!

I mean if this new series is supposed to be real-worldly, then why would Batman run around in a suit for over a year and not be able to move his head????

That's actually a very good point. It's part of illusion and..it got destroyed.

Quote from: raleagh on Fri,  1 Aug  2008, 22:02I mean if this new series is supposed to be real-worldly, then why would Batman run around in a suit for over a year and not be able to move his head????
Precisely.  That's why I think of the Nolan franchise in general and TDK in particular to be "check your brain at the door" movies.

QuoteSo it's basically Nolan telling the viewers that even though this is not Katie Holmes, it's still Bruce Wayne's childhood firend, Rachael Dawes. And we should erase Katie Holmes from our heads

Funny part being Nolan wrote Rachel Dawes for Katie Holmes. Mabye he was so angry that she didn't return for the part that he killed her off.

That bit always annoyed me too. I don't know why but im also sure it was Nolan having a dig at the older movies because Batman couldn't move his head in those and the Nolan fan's always use it as a reason why Begins/TDK is better.
Precisely.  That's why I think of the Nolan franchise in general and TDK in particular to be "check your brain at the door" movies.

You couldn't be more right. People play to much into this is better then a normal superhero movie because it's more realistic but there all the same. No matter how realistic they make it man dressing up like a bat to fight crime is fake same goes for a self mutilating clown or guy in an iron suit. There just movies that them as they are people need to stop being so serious...lol.

Quote from: silenig on Thu, 31 Jul  2008, 12:09
No matter what's your opinion about it, they are an interesting read nonetheless. Even if you love the film (personally I do), it's always interesting to read (and argue against) the opposite side.
Exactly. Just like my turn at Burton criticism in the other thread. I don't see the difference between this one and mine. Arguments, discussion, whatever you want to call it, are only beneficial to forums.

^ The difference being that the Nolan criticisms are reactions to the film as well as the hype behind it while your Burton criticisms are pretty flimsy and come only as a response to people imparting criticisms about Nolan's films (not even him personally) in this pro-Burton forum.

I'm struggling to see your justification here.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  2 Aug  2008, 08:09
^ The difference being that the Nolan criticisms are reactions to the film as well as the hype behind it while your Burton criticisms are pretty flimsy and come only as a response to people imparting criticisms about Nolan's films (not even him personally) in this pro-Burton forum.

I'm struggling to see your justification here.

Struggle then. It doesn't matter how criticisms come about, all that matters is that they are here.