Dark Knight + B89 similarities (SPOILERS!!)

Started by Batfan, Mon, 21 Jul 2008, 03:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 05:17 #10 Last Edit: Sat, 26 Jul 2008, 05:24 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Joker81 on Fri, 25 Jul  2008, 19:08
Do you know that line 'the night is darkest before the dawn' is stole from a 1989 Batman poster,

'Justice is darkest before the dawn'

This has already been noted.

Quote from: Joker81 on Fri, 25 Jul  2008, 19:08
But I also feel this is Nolan trying to 'outdo' Burton Which is why I do not like him.
He has done that. Look at my post above that compares the similar scenes.

Quote from: Joker81 on Fri, 25 Jul  2008, 19:08And the Dark Knight, your POV is so biased you are blinded by your own ignorance.
The very same thing can be said of you.

Maybe it's the cynic in me but I think these moments came about because Nolan is telling a Batman vs. Joker story, not because B89 was any real influence on the production.

Could be wrong though.

I think it's out of the question to say "Nolan tries to outdo Burton" because what he does is completely different. I believe that some things, especially some obvious ones (Joker falling and being grappled by Batman) classify as references. It happens that film adaptations of a myth, book or comic include some references to older film versions. Some Joker moments indeed bring Jack to mind, since the late actor obviously had Jack Nicholson's performance in his mind as a precedent, even though his intentions (and directions) were anything but to mimick the 89 Joker (with the result being a very different Joker).

I too have noticed "nods" to Burton in Nolan's two Batfilms you mentioned.  I don't think Nolan is trying to out do Burton at all, if anything these "nods" are ones of respect to THE most important Batfilm ever.  B89 changed the way the mass public viewed Batman.  It for the most part erased camp from the Batman vocabulary from the 60's/70's until the Shumacher films brought it back.  In a similar way, BB tried to change the way the public's view of Batman away from the camp of Shumacher's B&R and towards a more serious and respectful tone.  I think both films had similiar missions to reenergize the franchise and make it more respectful to the character, and both were/are successful, but just done in a different way.  I could be wrong, but the only things I've heard or read about Nolan's take on previous directors was regarding Shumacher's nipple suits, not necessarily any of Burton's stuff.

On the "nods," point, anyone noticed that as Batman glides over the Narrows in BB and the people below are hallucinating, that it looks like the Batglider that Batman uses as he soars over the square in BR after the Ice Princess fell.  Maybe Nolan likes BR too  ;)     
I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

Quote from: BurtonBatman on Sun, 27 Jul  2008, 01:35
B89 changed the way the mass public viewed Batman.  It for the most part erased camp from the Batman vocabulary from the 60's/70's until the Shumacher films brought it back. 
That it did. It made Batman as serious figure again. It is a massive shame Schumacher had to rip the rug from under our feet.

There also a very brief scene in TDK where Batman is beating up guys in a nightclub with colored lights while trying to capture Eric Roberts to interrogate him. A friend of mine, sitting at my side, said "Batman Forever"  ;D

Its funny how when I say Nolan tries to outdo Burton you all disagree. Yet when the dark knight says its done better in TDK than in Batman you all arent so quick to say a word against that?

Strange indeed.

I have had 3 days to chew over TDK and I for one think it is diffinatley an average film. One that wont be remembered too much in a few years.

Sin City was better, even a better comic book film.

Do you know that line 'the night is darkest before the dawn' is stole from a 1989 Batman poster

'Justice is darkest before the dawn'

WOW That's awesome i never knew that.

QuoteBut I also feel this is Nolan trying to 'outdo' Burton Which is why I do not like him.

I know what you mean i like Nolan and his movie's but it's like he's starting to get pulled into his own hype. Like the Joker falling at the end and Batman saving him, it was like he was trying to mock the Burton movie's.

QuoteAnd as for the Joker dying in Batman 89, it is a motion picture. Not to be continued. The Joker deserved to die, hence making a it a complete and in my eyes still the definitive Batman film.

Also what people forget or refuse to that into acount is the fact that back in 1989 they had no idea if Batman would sink or swim so they had to make the best movie they could without leaving it open to a sequel that may have never been, While Nolan had a guaranteed sequel, 16 years of special effects and a bigger budget.

Also i don't know if it need's to be added or not but the scene from TDK when the Batpod broke out of the Batmobile remined me alot of the part from Returns when Batman is being chased by the police and brake's his Batmissle out of his Batmobile.

You are also forgetting that there was also a nod to Tim Burton's Batman 1989 in the The Dark Knight, when Rachael Dawes is at a dinner party and has an encounter with the Joker. When things get out of hand, Batman comes to rescue her. Same thing happened in 'Batman' when Batman rescues Vikie Vale!
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."