mrs. shreck

Started by Catwoman, Sat, 4 Oct 2014, 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

what do you think happened to max's wife/chip's mother?

accident (car or plane crash, home accident, etc)
0 (0%)
illness
2 (33.3%)
violent crime from outside the family
0 (0%)
suicide
1 (16.7%)
max killed her
3 (50%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

as far as i know this has never been discussed and it just randomly popped in my head a second ago sooooo....lol. what do you think? vote and discuss. :)

I voted for 'Max killed her'. 

Mrs Shreck found out too much about his dodgy business deals so he murdered her.  Plus she was having an affair with his old business partner, Fred Atkins (who also didn't approve of Max's deals), so he had to go too.  Max didn't care so much about the affair (he's not a very romantic type), even if he didn't care to be made a fool out of.  However, he did care about his wealthy heiress wife discovering his dodgy business deals and thus divorcing him and taking all of her wealth with her, thus destroying the Shreck Empire.  Of course he made it all look like an accident, and kept the truth from his precious son Chip.

I also imagine that Chip wasn't really Max's son but, unbeknownst to Max, the result of a liaison between Mrs Shreck and Fred Atkins several years earlier.  I just love irony, and in this case the irony is that Max did all of his evil deeds in order to further his legacy and yet the truth was Chip wasn't even his own progeny.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I can see Shreck doing unspeakable things to take her out of the picture.

I think Max killed her pretty much for the reasons johnnygobbs said. I've always been suspicious about what Max said about women never surprising him except his wife. I think she "surprised" him by walking in the room at a bad moment. Maybe when he was murdering someone.

One thing I think is interesting is that I don't think Chip looks anything at all like his "father."

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Thu, 20 Nov  2014, 00:36
One thing I think is interesting is that I don't think Chip looks anything at all like his "father."
They do a tiny bit.  They're both tall Aryan types (although Chip is even taller than his 'dod').  I think Chip looks a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger crossed with Donald Trump.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

QuoteThey do a tiny bit.  They're both tall Aryan types (although Chip is even taller than his 'dod').  I think Chip looks a bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger crossed with Donald Trump.

That's not enough of a resemblance though. It's easy to believe that two tall white men aren't necessarily related. But maybe Chip looked like his mother. I look more like my mother than I look like my late father.

In the comic, Chip walked in when Max pushed her, and immediately thought of excuses to tell the authorities. It's like he's been down this road before.

QuoteIn the comic, Chip walked in when Max pushed her, and immediately thought of excuses to tell the authorities. It's like he's been down this road before.

Do you think Chip knew what his father did to Selina in the movie? When Selina and Bruce are with Max at the office Chip may just think Selina is lying and threatening to blackmail his father. He might not actually know that there's truth to it all.

I never got the Fred Atkins plot point when I first watched Batman Returns. Keep in mind I was only four years old at the time. When your that age you view the world differently. Movies are no exception.

I literally thought the Penguin pulled out a "fake" joke hand to scare Shreck. The fact that Shreck had in fact murdered this Fred Atkins bloke didn't hit me till years after and it became pretty shocking to say the least. How many super hero movies (let alone big commercial ones) go to the trouble of showing you a grisly human body part? A bloody one at that if you look real carefully. Think about it. Not as many as you think. Batman Returns had big controversial balls and still does. The Nolan era? Pffft. Nowhere near as on the edge as discussion would have you believe with it's violence.