Batman Begins Nostalgia

Started by Azrael, Tue, 15 Jan 2013, 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 15 Jan 2013, 22:26 Last Edit: Tue, 15 Jan 2013, 22:48 by SilentEnigma
After 2001-02, for my own reasons, I had taken a hiatus from all things Batman. Didn't care much for Batman Beyond, the Mystery of the Batwoman animated movie was kid's fare next to Mask of the Phantasm, didn't care for the games either which frankly looked total crap compared to the glory 8/16-bit days of Ocean, Sunsoft and Konami, a new movie wasn't coming out anytime soon, and there weren't any news for Special Edition DVDs of Burton's originals. Think of the fanboy equivalent of the "Batman is no more" scene from Batman Forever...

Then, imagine my surprise when some time, in 2004 I think, I happened across THIS.

This was totally news to me. A new Batman movie? Then came the teaser poster, the first Batman movie poster since what seemed like ages. It remains as one of my fav bat posters.

I wanted my first viewing of this film to be in solitude, I attended a late showing a few days after its premiere, when it was just me and no more than a dozen people in the theater. I always had a rule, as much as I enjoy going to cinema with friends, there's a handful of films that I prefer to experience alone, without any distracting comments or laughs at inappropriate spots, and the first Batman movie in 7 years was one of them. I'm ashamed to admit that the opening sequence with Zimmer's all too familiar soundscape (from being a fan of his music ever since the Lion King) made me almost misty eyed.

The audience was apathetic, probably bored (the showing was at midnight). When the film reached its epilogue at the rooftop, I could never share in the applause and the excitement that I have heard the Joker card incited in almost every showing. But somehow I liked it this way.

Needless to say, I sat through the entire end credits...

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Tue, 15 Jan  2013, 22:26
After 2001-02, for my own reasons, I had taken a hiatus from all things Batman. Didn't care much for Batman Beyond, the Mystery of the Batwoman animated movie was kid's fare next to Mask of the Phantasm, didn't care for the games either which frankly looked total crap compared to the glory 8/16-bit days of Ocean, Sunsoft and Konami, a new movie wasn't coming out anytime soon, and there weren't any news for Special Edition DVDs of Burton's originals. Think of the fanboy equivalent of the "Batman is no more" scene from Batman Forever...

Then, imagine my surprise when some time, in 2004 I think, I happened across THIS.

This was totally news to me. A new Batman movie? Then came the teaser poster, the first Batman movie poster since what seemed like ages. It remains as one of my fav bat posters.

I wanted my first viewing of this film to be in solitude, I attended a late showing a few days after its premiere, when it was just me and no more than a dozen people in the theater. I always had a rule, as much as I enjoy going to cinema with friends, there's a handful of films that I prefer to experience alone, without any distracting comments or laughs at inappropriate spots, and the first Batman movie in 7 years was one of them. I'm ashamed to admit that the opening sequence with Zimmer's all too familiar soundscape (from being a fan of his music ever since the Lion King) made me almost misty eyed.

The audience was apathetic, probably bored (the showing was at midnight). When the film reached its epilogue at the rooftop, I could never share in the applause and the excitement that I have heard the Joker card incited in almost every showing. But somehow I liked it this way.

Needless to say, I sat through the entire end credits...

Please don't remind me of what I call the "wilderness years" lol That was a terrible time. I certainly hope we're not about to re-enter a period like this now that Bale has given up the cape.

This photo was also one of the first images I saw. But I also remember them showing the new Batmobile too.

Crazily I read the comic adaptation before even seeing the movie! I'd waited so long I didn't care about spoilers and it didn't by no means ruin my enjoyment of the film. It was surreal seeing a brand new Batman movie after so long. I know fans like to call Begins the "first" or "original" movie nowadays and often pretend there are merely 3 Batman films. Not for me however. It was much more epic for me coming out of that lengthy hiatus to see the long awaited fifth installment. And I still view it as such. I liked how certain magazines in advertising the film on their covers actually employed a familar title to get it out into the public's psyche again as a returning series: "BATMAN...RETURNS!" some of them mightily stated.

I also remember British tv did a special programme on the film in which former Batman Val Kilmer attended a premiere of it. I can't find this show anywhere on youtube. It was done in the style of those old tv specials included on the 1990's movies dvd releases. There was also a MTV special which incorparated footage and a look back at previous Batman movies up to the new one.

Even though it was the tie-in merchandise that did the series in back in 1997 I confess I love the Batman movie merchandise (when it's handled properly of course). Collecting figures of the main and new characters was something of a tradition for my dad and I in the 1990's. Some wrote in 2005 the new film wouldn't be marketed with any of that nonsense and it all sounded rather snooty and boring at first. But then along came a new action figure line. Not the greatest figures in the world (wish Kenner had still made them) but that's when it felt that a new Batman movie had arrived for me. The greatest memory for me of Batman Begins is a movie that made you feel like stepping back in time.

I dunno i love Batman Beyond and enjoyed Mystery of the Batwoman, i knew one day they would do another Batman movie thanks to the internet and i was glad Nolan brought Batman back. I saw it 4 times in theaters.

^ Batwoman was more like a padded TNBA episode, and not one of the best too. The Batman Vs. Dracula was horrible (maybe because I love the graphic novel it took its name from). Kiddy fare. With a few exceptions, the only enjoyable things to come out of BB was the pilot and the Return of the Joker film, the rest was filler stuff (the music video maybe represents the show's audience) As far as I was concerned, Batman was fodder for second rate material, while Marvel already had some great films like X-Men and Spider-Man. Opinions... everyone has them. Over and out.

I remember going to see it.  The hype was nowhere near The Dark Knight.  Anyway, I remember leaving the cinema a bit disappointed.  The villains were lame and boring.  Christian Bale was just average as Batman.  I thought the beginning dragged on way too long.  Well, I just didn't care for it much.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sun,  9 Jun  2013, 15:17
I remember going to see it.  The hype was nowhere near The Dark Knight.  Anyway, I remember leaving the cinema a bit disappointed.  The villains were lame and boring.  Christian Bale was just average as Batman.  I thought the beginning dragged on way too long.  Well, I just didn't care for it much.
I wasn't disappointed when I first saw 'Batman Begins' in view of the last live-action Batman movie, but I was relatively underwhelmed (by contrast, I was hugely impressed by both Burton Batman movies and 'TDK' and even 'TDKR' upon my first viewings of them).  However, having got over my initial issues with Nolan's prosaic 'real-world' take on Batman I have grown to appreciate 'Batman Begins' much more over the years and in some ways, having recently watched the trilogy back-to-back, I think 'Begins' may hold up better than either of its sequels.  It's a tighter, more focused movie partly because of its shorter running time.  Nevertheless, I still prefer 'TDK' and 'TDKR' overall partly because of my initial experiences with each of these respective films, partly because for all their flaws 'TDK' and 'TDKR' displays an ambition and scope arguably lacking from 'Begins'
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm watching Batman Begins at the moment. I saw it at a preview screening a couple of days before release.

I had issues with it, but in contrast to the issues I have with TDKR and TDKR I actually appreciate to fair bit now.

Bale and Neeson are brilliant.

Unless they do The Dark Knight Returns in live action (won't happen, just saying), the Nolan franchise was maybe the last time us B'89 kids were younger than the actors playing Batman and the Joker. Isn't that saying something...??

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Wed, 19 Jun  2013, 22:20
Unless they do The Dark Knight Returns in live action (won't happen, just saying), the Nolan franchise was maybe the last time us B'89 kids were younger than the actors playing Batman and the Joker. Isn't that saying something...??
That's a disturbing thought (heck, even Heath Ledger was born only a few years earlier than me).  Perhaps they might go for an older Joker next time.  The Joker's age isn't given in the comic-books but I always figured he was probably around his forties anyway.  However, you're probably right about Batman unless as you say they do a 'Dark Knight Returns' type movie.  It's a pity because I'd love to see somebody like Jon Hamm (born 1970) play Batman.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I appreciate Batman Begins for re-booting the franchise but it's not one of my favorites. It feels too long and drawn out, the story is not all that exciting and the villains were sub-par. I much prefer Mask of the Phantasm for a Batman origin film.