Comic Book Influences on Tim Burton's Batman (1989)

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 18 Jul 2008, 01:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sun, 20 Jul  2008, 16:45
Thanks, raleagh.

I take it that you could edit that feature if we found more (i.e. the Batman #1 panel that Joker81 is digging up)?
I also sent the link to Evil Twin for his evaluation.  I'll let you know if he has any suggestions or further contributions.

yeah, it can be edited no problem - either myself or the mods can edit it.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sun, 20 Jul  2008, 16:45
Thanks, raleagh.

I take it that you could edit that feature if we found more (i.e. the Batman #1 panel that Joker81 is digging up)?
I also sent the link to Evil Twin for his evaluation.  I'll let you know if he has any suggestions or further contributions.
Holy crap, does Evil Twin120 post here too?  Wowzers, aside from all the Nolan Nazis from BOF, I'd say the gang's all here!

I don't think he posts here (if he does, I haven't seen anything).  I had to contact him via PM at BOF.  He's gotta join here, though.  I know nothing about Batman comics compared to him.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I haven't seen Evil Twins name in the member list.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 22 Jul  2008, 07:39
I don't think he posts here (if he does, I haven't seen anything).  I had to contact him via PM at BOF.  He's gotta join here, though.  I know nothing about Batman comics compared to him.
Agreed.  I know a decent bit but that guy is the Jedi Master of Batman comics...

that frame where Joker is shooting to Batman and saying " Why you don't you die" remind me a lot of one scene on "Batman Forever" remember when Two Face says almost the same words when he is trying to kill Batman: in the middle of the film when Robin saves Batman for the first time

Mon, 11 Aug 2008, 03:49 #28 Last Edit: Mon, 11 Aug 2008, 03:57 by thecolorsblend
I noticed this the other night.  Forgive me if this angle has already been covered.  I watched B89 the other night because I'm becoming more obsessed with the Burton movies each year.  Anyway, here's what we've got.

This is taken from Detective Comics #27.  The villain (whose name escapes me) ends up falling into the acid below after getting punched in the face by Batman.  The similarities in this scene are obvious...

What's interesting though is that obviously the villain in #27 isn't the Joker.

In The Killing Joke, the Joker becomes the Joker after a dip in toxic waste.  However, it was by choice on his part.  A desperate choice but a choice nonetheless.  He chose to dive in.

Not only does this scene tie two comics references (The Killing Joke and general Joker mythology along with Detective #27 specifically) together into a single sequence though, it also heightens the already #27-heavy references in B89.  Detective #27 was always a blue print for the Axis Chemical shoot out in my mind but now it's completely inseparable.  I've always thought #27 was a big (and unsung) influence on the production but now you REALLY cannot separate from the Axis sequence/birth of the Joker stuff.

^ Exactly.  There are a number of parallels between Batman89 and the Case of the Chemical Syndicate.  It's funny...when I first saw B89 aside from the big narrative departure (Joker kills Batman's parents), I couldn't help but feel Burton really nailed a strong adaptation of the comics--a fusion of the Golden Age and TDK.

I think a number of younger fans have short term memory, and don't realize that B89 was pre-Loeb/Sale, and the script went into production as B:YO was on the stands.