Comic Book Influences on Tim Burton's Batman (1989)

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 18 Jul 2008, 01:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks, guys.
And it's good to see you again, colors.  :)
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

WOW i knew that 89 had some influences from the comics in it but from what people have said there was none and thats why the nolan movies were superior ::) but i guess they were wrong kudos to you BatmAngelus i tip my hat to you sir.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Fri, 18 Jul  2008, 23:36
Thanks, guys.
And it's good to see you again, colors.  :)
Thanks bud.  Good to be here.  :)  You still around the Third BOF Reich these days?

Hahaha, yeah, every now and then.

Quote from: Sandman on Sat, 19 Jul  2008, 00:09
WOW i knew that 89 had some influences from the comics in it but from what people have said there was none and thats why the nolan movies were superior ::) but i guess they were wrong kudos to you BatmAngelus i tip my hat to you sir.
Thanks, Sandman.  And yes, they were wrong- the film may not represent the era or comic book interpretation they like (which is all subjective anyway), but the citations in Benjamin Robinson's thesis on this site as well as these pics simply demonstrate the fact that Batman (1989 is faithful to the original comics.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 09:23 #14 Last Edit: Thu, 31 Jul 2008, 05:51 by ZUPERZERO
again: great post batmanagelus

i believe that Batman 89 is similar to "The Killing Joke" but not in a explicit frame, like the "The Dark Knight" scene where Batman and Joker are talking on a table, i believe that the reference maybe is in trying to demostrate the similarities between Batman and Joker, you know on "Batman"(89) one(Batman-Joker) creates another(Batman-Joker), the whole movie is like a paralell between the two characters, in fact the two characters are conected by the same woman, that demostrate that they are the two sides of the same coin, like "the Killing Joke" comic demostrate in a diferent way, i believe that's why Harvey Dent-Two Face character is on the movie and i believe that's why Nolan puts him again on a Joker movie.

well i believe that is the influence: in both "The Killing Joke" And "Batman" 89 the scripts demostrate how similar this two guys are.

and please put the link where you did this with Batman Begins, and have you do it with Batman Returns?? put the links and check this post i wrote: http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=266.0

Banmaneglus, theres another pic from an early comic, cant remember which one, but one of the first.

It has the Joker walking up a staircase. Always reminded me of when the Joker is going up the cathedral. I'll try and find which comic its out of an post back.

Also, maybe you should include when the joker dies in the Batman #1 and you see hes still smiling. Robins there and says to Batman "Look hes still grinning, even in death"

Just a thought.

Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 17:20 #16 Last Edit: Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 17:28 by BatmAngelus
^ Great ideas, ZUPERZERO and Joker81.

I'll have to see if I can dig up that photo of the Joker's death from Batman #1.  Unfortunately, I don't have that part of Batman #1 (it sadly wasn't in my copy of the "Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told," but I have read it before) nor do I have a working scanner (believe it or not, all of these pics were found online).

ZUPERZERO, I'll be posting more influence threads soon.

I dont have a scanner. but i do have that comic, i can take a photo and post it tomorrw!  :)

I have added this as a feature on the main site - i also include a few more photos from the movie to help illustrate the points a little more.  ;D

Thanks, raleagh.

I take it that you could edit that feature if we found more (i.e. the Batman #1 panel that Joker81 is digging up)?
I also sent the link to Evil Twin for his evaluation.  I'll let you know if he has any suggestions or further contributions.