Keaton talking about forever

Started by eledoremassis02, Mon, 18 Apr 2022, 05:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Never saw him talk about it before. This is sometime in 94
(3:29)

"If its good and I want to do it...in a way I'm more excited about it than the other ones".

I wonder what kind of stuff was talked about in the early meetings

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Mon, 18 Apr  2022, 05:24

"If its good and I want to do it...in a way I'm more excited about it than the other ones".

Early on there was talk of doing a lot more Bruce Wayne stuff. In the end there still was, but it was all mostly cut from the final edit.

Nice.

The Paper is kinda one of those forgotten movies that Michael Keaton starred in. As it seems like not that many people have seen it, or are even aware of the movie in the first place. At least in my experience. I always kinda liked it. Definitely a time capsule presentation of the early-mid '90's New York City (in some ways, akin to how NYC was presented in Seinfeld, just not exactly of course).

Every time I see Keaton speaking about Jack Nicholson in an interview, it's always in very glowing, and positive terms. They really must have had a brilliant working relationship making B89. Kind of a shame Keats and Jack never co-starred in another movie (like for instance Mars Attacks! That would have been a hoot, especially with Danny Devito already being in there as well.).

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 21 Apr  2022, 20:51

Nice.

The Paper is kinda one of those forgotten movies that Michael Keaton starred in. As it seems like not that many people have seen it, or are even aware of the movie in the first place. At least in my experience. I always kinda liked it. Definitely a time capsule presentation of the early-mid '90's New York City (in some ways, akin to how NYC was presented in Seinfeld, just not exactly of course).

Every time I see Keaton speaking about Jack Nicholson in an interview, it's always in very glowing, and positive terms. They really must have had a brilliant working relationship making B89. Kind of a shame Keats and Jack never co-starred in another movie (like for instance Mars Attacks! That would have been a hoot, especially with Danny Devito already being in there as well.).

Keaton in Mars Attacks would of been fantasitc. My Life is another Keaton film thats not too bad. And he starred with Nichole Kidman as his wife, they actually had pretty good chemistry

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Fri, 22 Apr  2022, 01:01
Keaton in Mars Attacks would of been fantasitc.

Yeah, there's a number of roles in that movie I could easily envision Keaton playing. My preference probably being the part Martin Short played. Jack as the President, with Keats as his press secretary (who comically thirsts for call girls on the side), would have been absolutely amazing!  :D 

QuoteMy Life is another Keaton film thats not too bad. And he starred with Nichole Kidman as his wife, they actually had pretty good chemistry

That's another good one. Like The Paper, My Life is another you don't really see brought up very often, but the movie does have some wonderful performances from both Keaton, and Kidman. A well made emotional drama in every sense of the word.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I bought My Life on DVD about fifteen years ago, watched it once and then never really wanted to see it again. Not because it's bad, but because of how sad it is. It's a very moving film and contains one of Keaton's strongest performances from that period of his career. To give the movie some context, My Life is actually the final entry in writer Bruce Joel Rubin's thematic tetralogy on the subject of death. The first film in that series is Brainstorm (1983), a science fiction drama exploring the experience of death itself. James Cameron borrowed heavily from this film's premise when he wrote Strange Days (1995).

The second entry in this thematic sequence is the romantic supernatural thriller Ghost (1990), which explores death from the perspective of a deceased person who is unable to move on to the next life owing to unfinished business in this one. Where Brainstorm focuses on the sensory experience of dying, Ghost embarks on a more metaphysical examination of what aspects of a person's essence might survive bodily death to persist incorporeally.

Next comes the psychological horror film Jacob's Ladder (1990), in which Rubin explores death from the purgatorial viewpoint of a character who (SPOILERS) doesn't realise he's dead and is struggling to let go of the painful memories tethering him to this life (END SPOILERS). Where Ghost was about love enduring beyond death, Jacob's Ladder is about the painful things we leave behind: the guilt, the traumatic memories and gnawing sense of loss for those who've gone before us.

And last in this thematic tetralogy is My Life, which is the only one of the four films that Rubin directed himself. This time he takes a more straightforward look at death from the perspective of a protagonist who is facing a terminal prognosis and struggling through the various stages of grief. Keaton's performance is superb, yet this is one of several occasions on which he was unfairly overlooked by all the major awards.

Most people probably wouldn't think of these four movies as being connected, but thematically they are. Rubin was clearly fascinated by the subject of death and each of these films approaches it from a different angle. They're all worth watching.

Watched My Life not long after it hit HBO back in the Nineties. I enjoyed it but, as you say, it's such a bummer that I've never felt any great urge to rewatch it. Still, the score for that movie has stuck with me all these years through only one viewing. So, that should tell you something.

Rewatched Ghost last summer. Hadn't seen it since it was big on HBO. I was stunned by how well it holds up. What's esp interesting to me is that Ghost seems to be the final movie made by og ILM. From that point on, every project ILM tackled had at least SOME kind of CGI going on. But Ghost looks like it was done either in-camera or with opticals. Zero CGI afaik. So, in a sense, Ghost represents the state of the art in terms of what optical effects technology could achieve.

(Strange to think that Swayze's very next movie after Ghost was Point Break)

Haven't seen the other two.

I find Keaton's suggestion as Robert Duvall as the villain rather curious. I assume he was referring to the Riddler role? With the right script, I can imagine it.

Anyway, here is this simple edit of Keaton's BR driving scenes incorporated in the chase scene in BF.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei