Lets fix Forever...lets make a fanedit (of sorts)

Started by eledoremassis02, Sun, 20 Mar 2022, 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic
I would say the film works as is for the most part, I would make the following changes:

Rearrange the first act of the film as it was originally intended to flow. This is a hindsight is 20/20 change. At the time they wanted to start the film with a major hook of a set piece. However, the film has a nicer flow building to the moment and first establishing Bruce Wayne as a character who is a bigger part of the personality pie this time around before he makes turn into Batman. I think Val Kilmer is better served by this arrangement and more firmly declared if he's Bruce first.

Speaking of helping Val, I would allow for more time to better craft his lines to find his voice. As it stands (it took me years to understand this) Val doesn't leave enough of an impression, and the fact that Bruce is being written more generally (due to Keaton's late departure) is part of that problem. I would try also to find a way to incorporate more (not all) of the Red Book subplot. Calling back to the origin is a good way to better supplanted Val into the role, but we would need to lose some of the exposition found in the deleted material. Alfred telegraphs all of the themes too directly. 

Other than that I think I would mostly leave it, even the tone, color, and overall zany qualities. If you over censor and cosmetize it you disrupt the direction of the film. Schumacher Cut enthusiasts will hate me for saying that, but it is true

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Fri, 25 Mar  2022, 18:13
Before I answer this question, are you asking what we would change at a script level, or what they should've changed while they were filming it?

Really anything you'd would be interested in seeing, even if it's somthing originally scripped and dropped (like the cameros of prior villans)

My inital idea was stuff that could technally edited into the movie (in the case of the villans it would have to be old footage from 89/Retuns) but this is now kinda anything goes.

If ANYTHING goes, I'll say the Batman outfit. I have no particular criticism of Robin's outfit in the movie. But Batman's... eh. Since this is supposed to be a lighter approach to the character, I think a more blue-toned suit would've been welcome. The all-black thing doesn't have any color to accent the rest of the outfit.

Considering how colorful the sets and lighting are, that might have been intentional.

Still, I think I would've preferred a blue outfit for this Batman.

Since we're at it, I've also never been crazy about Batgirl's suit. It also lacks... something. A splash of color? Yellow or gold perhaps? Something. I would've wanted this to change too.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 26 Mar  2022, 00:56
If ANYTHING goes, I'll say the Batman outfit. I have no particular criticism of Robin's outfit in the movie. But Batman's... eh. Since this is supposed to be a lighter approach to the character, I think a more blue-toned suit would've been welcome. The all-black thing doesn't have any color to accent the rest of the outfit.

Considering how colorful the sets and lighting are, that might have been intentional.

Still, I think I would've preferred a blue outfit for this Batman.

Since we're at it, I've also never been crazy about Batgirl's suit. It also lacks... something. A splash of color? Yellow or gold perhaps? Something. I would've wanted this to change too.

Whats your opponion the Birds of Prey re-collor?

That's on the right track. If Batman had a blue'ish black outfit then maybe Batgirl's could've been purple'ish black. But yes, the BOP Batgirl suit is a definite improvement over the B&R Batgirl suit.

Ok, then there's a lot.

-Actually develop the relationship between Chase and Bruce. As is idk why she's falling in love with him over Batman. I get that her wanting Batman is more of a lustful thing, whereas with Bruce I think it's because she's gotten to know him a bit better as a person. However, that doesn't really come across.

-This is obvious, but restore all the deleted scenes that are related to Bruce's arc. Without those scenes his arc doesn't make sense. For example there's a moment in the film where Bruce decides to retire Batman and it's so random. However, there were scenes that did setup his decision to quit being Batman but they're all cut so there's no weight behind Bruce's decision. Also, the flashbacks to Bruce's parents are in the film, but they cut out the payoff of those scenes. As is the film feels incomplete without the necessary scenes to wrap up Bruce's story.

-Actually make Robin competent in the third act. I've mentioned this in this forum before, but it's weird to me that throughout the film Bruce refuses Dick as a partner because he thinks he'll get hurt. Cut to the third act where he is kidnapped twice. Why would Bruce continue to want Robin as a partner after that?

-Rewrite the final confrontation between Riddler and Batman. This is an area that I thought was much better in the Batchelor's script. They give a reason for the sonar lenses and explain what happens to Riddler and why he becomes deformed. In the film he uses the lenses but we have no idea what they're for, and it's not fully explained what happens to Riddler when Batman hits the power source. Did it reverse the brainwaves or overload Edward's mind? I'm not entirely sure.

-I think there's some scenes that are done a disservice because they're portrayed in an over the top manner. For example take the scene where Edward kidnaps Stickley. In concept that's a horrific scene. Edward holds his boss against his will, and murders somebody for the first time. However, the weight of that moment never comes across because the entire scene is played like a cartoon.

-Ask Tommy Lee Jones to tone his performance down.

-There's two more things I forgot. Make the passage in time clear. Edward Nygma steals enough money to start Nygmatech and in the next scene Nygmatech is more successful than Wayne Enterprises and the box is the hot new item across the country. They say in the film that there's hardly a home without the Nygmatech box. I'm going to be generous and say that this entire process must've taken a month or two, but in the film it's portrayed like it's only been a couple of days.

-Make it clear that the Riddler's identity is a mystery. When Bruce makes the connection that Edward Nygma is the Riddler it falls flat because they haven't made it clear that people are trying to figure out who Riddler is.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat, 26 Mar  2022, 22:20
-There's two more things I forgot. Make the passage in time clear. Edward Nygma steals enough money to start Nygmatech and in the next scene Nygmatech is more successful than Wayne Enterprises and the box is the hot new item across the country. They say in the film that there's hardly a home without the Nygmatech box. I'm going to be generous and say that this entire process must've taken a month or two, but in the film it's portrayed like it's only been a couple of days.
The Riddler and Two-Face embark upon a crime spree to raise money for The Box. That takes a lot of time. Nygma's wardrobe gradually improves, his hairstyle changes, he loses the glasses and the fact that the sequence is a montage indicates that a lot of time is passing as more and more people buy The Box. The giant neon blender thing on Nygma's island certainly wasn't built overnight.

All in all, I think the movie does an adequate job of conveying that many months are passing in the timeline.

What DOES present a challenge is that if The Box's rollout and widespread adoption truly does unfold a period of months, Bruce and Chase must have an amazingly slow progression to their relationship. I don't see this as a fatal flaw or anything. But figured I should mention it anyway.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat, 26 Mar  2022, 22:20-Make it clear that the Riddler's identity is a mystery. When Bruce makes the connection that Edward Nygma is the Riddler it falls flat because they haven't made it clear that people are trying to figure out who Riddler is.
Honestly, I don't see a problem here either. Just before the montage mentioned above, Alfred says that Bruce and Batman have a common enemy. They know that the Riddler is stalking Bruce and I think it's perfectly clear that they have no idea that Nygma is the Riddler.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 26 Mar  2022, 23:08
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat, 26 Mar  2022, 22:20-Make it clear that the Riddler's identity is a mystery. When Bruce makes the connection that Edward Nygma is the Riddler it falls flat because they haven't made it clear that people are trying to figure out who Riddler is.
Honestly, I don't see a problem here either. Just before the montage mentioned above, Alfred says that Bruce and Batman have a common enemy. They know that the Riddler is stalking Bruce and I think it's perfectly clear that they have no idea that Nygma is the Riddler.

My problem is that uncovering the Riddler's identity never seems like a priority at all. So when the Riddles lead to the identity of Edward Nygma it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat, 26 Mar  2022, 22:20
Most products need more of a budget for marketing than the designing and construction phase. I'm not sure how long it takes NygmaTech to become successful in the timeframe of the film. But conceptually I think the general concept is believable in the sense Nygma has technology like nothing else humanity has ever seen before. It's not just revolutionary to visual entertainment but extremely addictive to the user. Something like that spreads like a wildfire and rakes in an untold fortune of free promotion.

Computers were around, but BF was released in a time when television was still the biggest technological drug. When the internet became faster and more readily available on devices like mobile phones the world changed forever. Behavior and thinking changed. People jumped down that rabbit hole very quickly and they have remained there ever since. And it's where they will stay. If you give a young child an iPad they will sit there transfixed for hours because it's instant gratification. For them, nothing else will compare to that experience. Reading a book or drawing pictures is now dead boring - and it's hard to go back. Which I find dangerous for their development of creativity and family/friend engagement. I'd keep devices away from them for as long as I could.

Through the example of The Box, BF understood the power and potential for technology to corrupt humanity.