What If Tim Burton Directed Batman Forever?

Started by Kamdan, Fri, 4 Jun 2021, 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  4 Jan  2023, 16:15
The Batman III script Burton commissioned from Lee and Janet Scott Batchler featured the Riddler as the only antagonist. The Batchlers said they wrote the part with Robin Williams in mind. I believe it was Schumacher's idea to cast Jim Carrey instead. The studio had wanted DeVito to play the Penguin, and Burton had been happy to go along with that. I expect he would have been happy with Williams too if that was what the studio had wanted.

Quote from: The JokerJoel Schumacher did claim in a video interview that he approached Robin Williams several times about playing the Riddler for "Batman Forever", once it was a done deal that Schumacher would replace Burton, with Williams responding, "I'd love to!", but never fully committing to signing on. This go around happened a few more times with Williams, until (I assume) the deadline to get the Riddler cast was coming up, and then Jim Carrey got offered the gig. According to Schumacher, Williams never outright turned down the part, but wouldn't make any strong overtures about signing on either. Leaving Schumacher in limbo until a decision needed to be made.

To further elaborate on this, I found the video where Joel Schumacher briefly discusses pursuing Robin Williams (supposedly for around a year) for the part of the Riddler.

Clock in around the 2:40 mark.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Andrew on Mon,  2 Jan  2023, 18:30
Everyone seems to assume it would have Two-Face just from that BF did actually have him and I guess that they like Billy Dee Williams, Burton doing Two-Face kind of makes sense but with him not bringing back Dent at all in BR I think indicates he had very much lost interest in the character and/or in Williams as him.
I agree. Returns already proved that Burton had effectively moved on from B89 with a complete overhaul in the aesthetics with minimal narrative tissue following over. The supporting cast would return, but I believe Burton viewed these movies as seperate creative entities rather than overacting plots in the traditional sense. I'm sceptical he would have gone back to revisit Billy Dee's Dent in a third film - in any function.

Watching Wednesday and I feel like her dorm room has a very Two-Face lair feel to it lol