The Catwoman reference

Started by Andrew, Sun, 13 Dec 2020, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic
I think it implies that this universe's Catwoman is in prison or Arkham. Because Chase says it in a playful tone, not a like a criticism (which would be the case if she was trying to say You liked her so much you never caught her) and the comment would also feel a lot harsher if Catwoman was dead or presumed dead.

The earlier drafts of BF had obvious references to Burton's Catwoman; one which had Chase watching Batman's fight with Catwoman and psychoanalyses how the abuse he takes is some sort of self-punishment, and the other had an image of Catwoman's face along with Joker and Penguin projected on the walls of Riddler's maze when Batman goes after Two-Face. As you can tell, all of these references were far more haunting compared to Chase's playfulness in the reference we got in the final cut.

I think a better question to ask is if Schumacher directed BR, who would he cast as Catwoman? I can't help but feel he would've tried to convince Madonna in the role. My guess is purely from a marketing point of view, seeing as he was a music video director as well as a film director, and having the biggest female pop star in 1992 also starring in the most hyped summer event might've been too enticing to ignore.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei