Val Kilmer Appreciation Thread

Started by Slash Man, Mon, 2 Feb 2015, 05:24

Previous topic - Next topic
There's been a bunch of rumors about Kilmer in the media, but when it comes to clarification, look no further than Val Kilmer himself.
https://www.facebook.com/valkilmer
I feel bad for him, he's recently been the target of much tabloid garbage, ranging from his weight to cancer rumors. Truth is, he's worked hard and now he's in great shape once again and looking to get back into acting. Just keep going and doing what you're doing.

He looks like Bruce again

Praying that whatever the issues are are like he said, totally overblown by the media.

Since it's the Val appreciation thread I'll start by saying that he was my fav Bruce Wayne. Even over Keats (thank you Jack Nicholson lol). He's an amazing actor and it's like "what could have been?" if he and Joel hadn't clashed and the studio hadn't effed stuff up.

I also thought he was good as Bruce Wayne and he was a pretty good Batman too, for me he's only second to Keaton. I know some criticise his acting in Batman Forever and say he was wooden and seemed sedated, but I don't see that.

I'd say that the movie's execution in the final cut made his acting feel awkward than it should have.

I'm beginning to warm up to Kilmer's take on Bruce/Batman recently. The fan cut that was linked here made his performance better in my opinion, especially since it removes a lot of the corny one liners. It goes to show that bad direction can affect an actor's performance. There were a few deleted scenes where he displayed solid acting without too much dialogue, e.g. contemplating his retirement with Alfred in the Batcave.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Glad to see Val is back in shape and healthy.

Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne and Batman is "my number one guy" but Val Kilmer's is definitely my "number two" (and I mean that in it's positive sense, not the disgusting way Penguin used that term). I'm glad to hear Val is doing and looking okay. I'm a straight male but I have to say he looked absolutely gorgeous in Batman Forever. If I were a straight woman or gay I'd prefer him over Christian Bale in his Batman movies.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Wed, 11 Mar  2015, 23:10
Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne and Batman is "my number one guy" but Val Kilmer's is definitely my "number two" (and I mean that in it's positive sense, not the disgusting way Penguin used that term). I'm glad to hear Val is doing and looking okay. I'm a straight male but I have to say he looked absolutely gorgeous in Batman Forever. If I were a straight woman or gay I'd prefer him over Christian Bale in his Batman movies.
Sorry but I found Kilmer's Batman/Bruce Wayne a little bit dull and bland.  Keaton brought a lot of edginess to the character, playing a hermetic Bruce Wayne and an unhinged, borderline psychopathic Batman, Christian Bale played an angry but altruistic Batman under the daytime cover of a brash and spoiled playboy, Adam West made for a classically handsome and hilariously square Bruce Wayne/Batman, whilst George Clooney's version of the character, for all its faults, at least had personality as a dashing and affable, albeit overly-relaxed millionaire bachelor by day and a celebrity family-friendly crime-fighter by night.

But what did Kilmer bring to the part?  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I liked Kilmer's portrayal of a quiet, thoughtful, introspective Bruce Wayne which I like because it's pretty much the same as Keaton's. Some people might think he seemed bored and maybe Kilmer was bored, but I like the way the character comes across. I thought Clooney's Bruce/Batman was too light and happy. Bale was okay but I'm just not enthusiastic about those movies.

I think Christian Bale is a much better actor than Val Kilmer. But I do think Kilmer's portrayal as Bruce Wayne/Batman is much better, cheesy lines notwithstanding. I agree with JMT that he gives an introspective approach to Batman's surroundings and contemplates whether his crusade was worth sacrificing his life for.

As I've said many times, I don't care for Bale's portrayal at all, nor do I think his character was ever well written. It's not his fault that he had to work with very faulty scripts, but the only time I was impressed with Bale's Bruce was when he was in agony, spiritually and physically, during TDKR. Otherwise, I found his Bruce very dull and reactionary - even in the scenes when he's supposed to be the playboy. And as for his Batman...need I say more?  ::) Kilmer's Batman looks better in comparison.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Kilmer is THE man and honestly one of my favourite actors - not just for Batman either, he's great in The Saint (what he chose over B&R), Top Secret!, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, TopGun, Heat, ect.

As Batman, he was great, I still see and always will see Keaton as THE Batman, but Kilmer isn't far off; he was brooding, dark, mysterious, his eyes were nearly as scary as Keaton's, his body build was great and perfect for the Batman, hell I'd say he was THE onscreen representation of the comic book Batman (so far, I do think that Affleck has that tied up after the BvS teaser).

Kilmer is the man, simple as!