Two-Face

Started by Edd Grayson, Tue, 16 Jul 2013, 11:03

Previous topic - Next topic
The main problem to me is that TLJ tried out out Jim Carrey Jim Carrey. I'm not sure how much Schumacher intervened but it was reported Carrey and Jones kept trying to out do each other. I just don't like that version of Two face, he's a tragic, brilliant, villain with a motive and I don't feel any of it got captured, it seemed to me he was just a cheap joker knock off. There were so many ways he could have taken that character. I also felt they should have used the coin more as that's his key trait. I

He did use the coin 5 times in the movie (during the bank robbery, in the circus, at his hideout, at Wayne Manor and at Riddler's lair).

So, everyone saying Two Face should have been dark and serious maybe don't know about Two-Face's earlier appearances where he was an over the top villain.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 17 Apr  2016, 01:01
An angry, irritated TLJ would've been a sight to behold. He can do that as good as anybody.

With no acting required since that's his natural personality.

Two-Face is terrible as an adaptation of the comics; if you pretend he was an original character he's still bad but not that bad. I think he does have a pretty interesting relationship and some chemistry with the Riddler, though, and I'm not sure a real serious Two-Face would have worked well in that duo.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Tue, 16 Jul  2013, 11:39
I think TDK gave too little time to Two-Face as well, but it was arguably much better than Batman Forever. At least 2008 Two-Face would never flip the coin until he got what he wanted. TLJ looked silly doing that and it's something the real Two-Face would never do.

I don't think either portrayal of two face has been true to the character. I didn't like the added trait of two face flipping the coin multiple times either, the point of the character is that he will unquestionably accept the result of the coin and this isn't a character who's backstory can be glossed over as quickly as Schumacher did.

I've stated several times that there's not much difference between Nolan's handling of Harvey Dent/Two face and Sam Raimi's handling of Eddie Brock/Venom in Spider-man 3 yet only one of these directors seems to get called out for that. Did Harvey even survive a full day after escaping from the hospital? For a series which prides itself on being grounded and gritty, I found two faces look to be far from believable. Without an eyelid, his eye would have been irritated to the point that he wouldn't be able to see (the average human blinks 6-10 times per minute, try holding your eyelids open to prevent yourself from blinking, you'll see what I mean) likewise his mouth would be irritated with the amount of particles getting in there due to the lack of lips on one side and his speech also has not been affected.

I think it actually kind of makes sense that, having been the district attorney, on turning evil and crazy Dent *would* be pretty influenced by the (Nicholson) Joker. A lot of the portrayal still feels annoying thought.

Going back to this, I'm still not a big fan of Batman Forever's Two-Face. Aesthetically Tommy Lee Jones was great, if only he wasn't that over-the-top with the comedy he could've been awesome.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 14 Feb  2020, 14:53
Going back to this, I'm still not a big fan of Batman Forever's Two-Face. Aesthetically Tommy Lee Jones was great, if only he wasn't that over-the-top with the comedy he could've been awesome.
His performance is probably the worst thing about the film for me.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Mon, 17 Feb  2020, 17:50
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 14 Feb  2020, 14:53
His performance is probably the worst thing about the film for me.
It works better when you imagine the acid seeped deep into his face, giving him brain permanent damage.