Keaton in Batman Forever

Started by ScissorPuppy, Thu, 17 Apr 2008, 17:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: greggbray on Sun, 20 Apr  2008, 02:50
QuoteI respect him ALOT aswell, he stood by principle and turned down alot of money. I was just saying, that if he had stayed, the film possibly could have been better. With Keaton being the star and voicing his opinion, WB may have pulled joels power in some.

While I would have loved if Keaton stuck around for Batman Forever, I have a feeling he'd really have a diminished role in the decision-making conversations.  This is mostly speculation, but if WB really were interested in keeping him, they would have paid him an obscene amount of money.

Keaton mentioned in Les Daniel's book how he did not wish to see a character he and Tim develop over two films to turn into a cartoon character--and I respect and appreciate his point of view.  I'm not sure very much would have kept him at the table with Joel Schumacher's take on the franchise on the table.

But they DID offer him an obscene amount of money... Reported in 1994 as being as high as 20 million!
He turned them down. My point being that if he would have taken the offer, WB would have wanted to keep him happy. After Keaton bolted, WB probably figured they were at Sqaure one again without him, so the let Joel "reinvent" the series. I don't know if WB would have let him wander as far from the previous films with Keaton attached.

Quote from: ScissorPuppy on Sun, 20 Apr  2008, 04:59
But they DID offer him an obscene amount of money... Reported in 1994 as being as high as 20 million!

Believe it or not, it was higher. $35 million. It was the highest single salary to be paid to an actor at the time. Just in terms of one paycheck, without hesitation. Keaton could have even milked them for more, probably.

"It was like they were saying 'Here's $35 million in exchange for your soul.'" Said Keaton in his "Biography" episode. The man is integrity incarnate.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Sun, 20 Apr 2008, 12:25 #22 Last Edit: Sun, 20 Apr 2008, 13:15 by raleagh
This article
http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/articles.php?showarticle=31
gives a great insight in the mind and history of Michael Keaton.

It is a bit of a read, but good nonetheless.

You can't break the Keaton.

Can you imagine thouhg, Carrey acting the fool like he did in that movie and Keaton just glaring at him with those eyes? lol

Wow.

Well, I'm glad he stuck to his principles, but yeah, Scissor Puppy, I can certainly see your point.  Had Keaton remained, perhaps BF would have been a far better film. 

Having said that, I'm still not sure there would be much synergy between Keaton and Schumacher, and aside from seeing Keaton in the costume one last time, it probably would have been a bit of a mess.

BTW Greg check your PMs...  :)

I would have liked Batman Forever much more if Michael Keaton was Batman again. And I did think that Val Kilmer was a good Batman. but Michael deserved to come back.

Yeah, I remember reading in a few magazines back in 1993/1994 Keaton being offered a very generous amount of coin to stick around for Schumacher's first effort with the Batman franchise, but ultimately we all know what happened with that.

Personally, I applaud Keaton for standing by his principals, in not accepting a hefty payday to don the Batsuit one more time. Of course it would have been great to see him back, which would have added a little bit more continuity (other than Gough's re-appearance of course), however I believe Kilmer was a better fit for the film Schumacher wanted to make.

Oh, and glad to meet everyone's acquaintance of course.  :D  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

[/quote]

That's an awesome pic, it makes me sad now cause it reminds me that i'll never get to see one of my dreams that being Keaton as Batman one more time :( ???.

I wish Keaton and Burton had doen Forever.

KEATON WAS PERFECT FOR THE FEEL AND TONE OF THE BURTON FILMS, HE WOULDNT FIT IN JOELS.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.