You can't put Batman mythology into a 3-Film 'Trilogy'...

Started by Batman333, Thu, 10 Jan 2013, 05:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 09:12
I fail to see your logic. They are both killers. Keaton's Batman intentionally, and Bale's Batman unintentionally.

Keaton's version is calculating and controlled. Baleman uses his batpod cannons to clear parked cars - and we are shown two kids sitting in the backseat of a nearby vehicle during this same scene. In B89, Keaton parks his Batmobile, shields it up and takes the fight to the back street, away from the public.

You are more likely to be killed in collateral damage by Baleman than Keaton.

I would add that Keaton remarks how 'Batman' saved the city from property damage in Returns, something Bale clearly had no interest in. Baleman destroyed quite a bit of police property, Keaton clearly made an attempt to minimize collateral damage

Mon, 3 Aug 2015, 22:27 #41 Last Edit: Sun, 20 Sep 2015, 09:10 by thecolorsblend
To be fair to Bale's Batman in TDKRises, (A) how much worse could the city get by that point and (B) yeah, a nuclear explosion could probably mess things up even more... which was the very thing Batman was trying like hell to prevent from happening.

Maybe my standards are too low but the ends sometimes do have to justify the means.

Quote from: riddler on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 22:21I would add that Keaton remarks how 'Batman' saved the city from property damage in Returns, something Bale clearly had no interest in. Baleman destroyed quite a bit of police property, Keaton clearly made an attempt to minimize collateral damage
Who cares about property damage (like John McClane says in Die Hard "who gives a damn about glass?")?  Keaton's Batman let a lovely young woman fall to her death and just stood there like a dummy!  >:(  All the preservation of property in the world doesn't make up for that failure.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 23:48Keaton's Batman let a lovely young woman fall to her death and just stood there like a dummy!  >:(  All the preservation of property in the world doesn't make up for that failure.
Um, that was a plot point of the movie. Batman couldn't save her. That's the premise of the scene. Literally nothing comes from the collateral damage in the Nolan movies.

I fail to see your logic. They are both killers. Keaton's Batman intentionally, and Bale's Batman unintentionally.

Keaton's version is calculating and controlled. Baleman uses his batpod cannons to clear parked cars - and we are shown two kids sitting in the backseat of a nearby vehicle during this same scene. In B89, Keaton parks his Batmobile, shields it up and takes the fight to the back street, away from the public.

Being a murderer will always be more incompetent than not being one.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 02:38
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 23:48Keaton's Batman let a lovely young woman fall to her death and just stood there like a dummy!  >:(  All the preservation of property in the world doesn't make up for that failure.
Um, that was a plot point of the movie. Batman couldn't save her. That's the premise of the scene. Literally nothing comes from the collateral damage in the Nolan movies.
He couldn't save her? He barely tried to. He also shows no amount of caring about it.

Quote from: riddler on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 22:21

I would add that Keaton remarks how 'Batman' saved the city from property damage in Returns, something Bale clearly had no interest in. Baleman destroyed quite a bit of police property, Keaton clearly made an attempt to minimize collateral damage
Property damage doesn't matter.

Tue, 4 Aug 2015, 09:37 #47 Last Edit: Tue, 4 Aug 2015, 09:53 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 23:48
Who cares about property damage (like John McClane says in Die Hard "who gives a damn about glass?")? 

We're not talking about "damn glass".  We're talking about Batman recklessly crushing cars and property that endangers innocent people. Bloody hell, he was extremely lucky he didn't manage to kill those cops during that chase scene in BB. I think this does matter, especially if Batman wanted to become an "incorruptible symbol" yet he doesn't give a damn about people's safety. The very same people he's supposed to be protecting.  ::)

And yeah, I'll agree that Batman could've at least tried to save the Ice Princess if he wasn't so taken surprised in the heat of the moment. But you know what? I find it's more reprehensible that Batman justified his decision to kill Talia's father to "save millions of innocent people", but allowed the more destructive Joker to murder so many for no reason, other than because the writers wanted a contrived moral dilemma. That to me is the biggest disgrace of them all.  And what's even worse, people ate that up. >:(

Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 02:48
Being a murderer will always be more incompetent than not being one.

So in that case, Bale is just as bad as Keaton since he effectively killed off a defenseless Ra's and justified doing so to his daughter.

And don't give me that rubbish that 'he didn't kill Ra's" or "it's not murder". You acknowledged before that Batman did break his moral code, and his code was not killing. Therefore, Bale's Batman is a murderer too. Saying otherwise only defies common sense.

In my opinion, I find it's more disturbing that Batman doesn't react or feel guilty over the deaths of the people he ended up killing in the temple, Two-Face or Talia, if he really didn't intend to harm them. Where's his conscience?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 09:37So in that case, Bale is just as bad as Keaton since he effectively killed off a defenseless Ra's and justified doing so to his daughter.

And don't give me that rubbish that 'he didn't kill Ra's" or "it's not murder". You acknowledged before that Batman did break his moral code, and his code was not killing. Therefore, Bale's Batman is a murderer too. Saying otherwise only defies common sense.

In my opinion, I find it's more disturbing that Batman doesn't react or feel guilty over the deaths of the people he ended up killing in the temple, Two-Face or Talia, if he really didn't intend to harm them. Where's his conscience?
Doing the right thing isn't about feeling bad if you do the wrong thing. It's about the right thing. But Keaton's shows just as much remorse. He actually smiles. That's disturbing. But I disagree that the characters didn't feel guilt.

I didn't acknowledge that. I said that he kinda broke his rule in that instance. I didn't say that he did break is rule in that instance.

He didn't murder.

I googled murder. This was one of the things that came up:
The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.
That is not what Batman did. By this definition, he never did that.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  4 Aug  2015, 09:37And yeah, I'll agree that Batman could've at least tried to save the Ice Princess if he wasn't so taken surprised in the heat of the moment.
But he's Batman.  He's supposed to be prepared for the unexpected.  Why didn't he rush forward to grab her when the bats came flocking at her?  :(

And bearing in mind how far the film goes to demonstrate how dumb the Ice Princess is, the filmmakers could easily have kept her alive, after being saved by Batman, but still wrongfully accuse him of her kidnap.  After all, anyone who is dumb enough to think that they press a tree-lighting button after the tree lights up, that a Batarang is a camera and that the Penguin is a talent scout, would be dumb enough to believe that Batman kidnapped them.

With this scenario, Batman still gets to be heroic whilst maintaining the plotline concerning him being framed.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.