Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Started by Grissom, Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Just to be sure, I don't hate the prequels, but Anakin was their main character, and his turn to the Dark Side was not handled as great as it should have been in my opinion. Not a major problem for me, but if I have one complaint about them, it's this one.

Thank you for your replies. :)

Tue, 19 Jan 2016, 04:42 #231 Last Edit: Tue, 19 Jan 2016, 04:59 by The Dark Knight
You're right about all that, Dagen, in the context of what we're given.

Anakin justified all his atrocities in the name of Padme, buying Palpatine's lie that only after he has become powerful in the dark side, will he be able to save her from death. He was absolutely selfish, and I think that's the part I have difficulty buying. In the Clone Wars animated series they touch on Anakin's temper issues, and we see Anakin killing the Tuskens in AOTC.

That's all fine, but it still doesn't properly show a descent into evil for my liking.

From cutting Mace Windu's hand off, to storming the Jedi Temple and killing everyone. He surely knows what he's doing is wrong, but does it anyway. Sure, he loves Padme, but he also loves Obi-Wan, and even if he had disputes with the Jedi, they nonetheless were family. Lucas tried to make Anakin a tragic hero but it didn't work out exactly how I would've wanted. It's just a little too flimsy and abrupt even if they show scattered incidents of temper issues beforehand.

So I'd propose a more believable plot on behalf of Palpatine (and for the audience) to convey that the Jedi really are evil and must be taken down. That they indeed have betrayed Anakin personally, and propose a threat to the Galaxy in some way. Some bigger revelation scene where he 'lifts the lid' on what they're up to. In the film it's purely circumstantial that Anakin walks in on the attempted arrest of Palpatine.

Sure, the Padme plot could remain. But in the film it's just that Anakin killed a bunch of people and now his vision of reality is distorted by the dark side. It's all about the moment someone consciously *decides* to make an important life decision. Truly believing the Jedi are evil and must be stopped, with your good old buddy Obi-Wan leading the charge, makes it better in my opinion. You don't think you're being exploited or tricked, and you're not exclusively a blind, lovesick puppy. And that way you're going to embrace the dark side with more conviction.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 19 Jan  2016, 04:42
You're right about all that, Dagen, in the context of what we're given.

Anakin justified all his atrocities in the name of Padme, buying Palpatine's lie that only after he has become powerful in the dark side, will he be able to save her from death. He was absolutely selfish, and I think that's the part I have difficulty buying. In the Clone Wars animated series they touch on Anakin's temper issues, and we see Anakin killing the Tuskens in AOTC.

That's all fine, but it still doesn't properly show a descent into evil for my liking.

From cutting Mace Windu's hand off, to storming the Jedi Temple and killing everyone. He surely knows what he's doing is wrong, but does it anyway. Sure, he loves Padme, but he also loves Obi-Wan, and even if he had disputes with the Jedi, they nonetheless were family. Lucas tried to make Anakin a tragic hero but it didn't work out exactly how I would've wanted. It's just a little too flimsy and abrupt even if they show scattered incidents of temper issues beforehand.
The point of the jedi as they are is to be separate from attachments. They don't do family. Anakin may be like a brother to Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan doesn't have the attachment that Anakin could have, which causes a disconnect in their relationship. If placed in the same situation as Obi-Wan I don't see Anakin putting the future of the galaxy above those he cares for. It's not so much about who he loves for Anakin, but his powerlessness. His love for Obi-Wan isn't as important for him as his attachment to Padme. Also, you have the feeling of betrayal Anakin perceived from Obi-Wan, not just with the idea that Padme was with him, but also that he was willing to kill him. I don't think there was a tragic hero aspect, so much as a villain with tragic intentions. As the movie displays it, it's not just about, it's not just about his anger. The killing of the tuskens isn't the only point where he starts either, but also with Dooku and with his desire for power, for acclaim and then the ability to save Padme.
QuoteSo I'd propose a more believable plot on behalf of Palpatine (and for the audience) to convey that the Jedi really are evil and must be taken down. That they indeed have betrayed Anakin personally, and propose a threat to the Galaxy in some way. Some bigger revelation scene where he 'lifts the lid' on what they're up to. In the film it's purely circumstantial that Anakin walks in on the attempted arrest of Palpatine.

Sure, the Padme plot could remain. But in the film it's just that Anakin killed a bunch of people and now his vision of reality is distorted by the dark side. It's all about the moment someone consciously *decides* to make an important life decision. Truly believing the Jedi are evil and must be stopped, with your good old buddy Obi-Wan leading the charge, makes it better in my opinion. You don't think you're being exploited or tricked, and you're not exclusively a blind, lovesick puppy. And that way you're going to embrace the dark side with more conviction.
That takes away from Anakin's villainy for me. He becomes a villain. Not anti-hero or a villain who kills other villains. His actions are selfish, not altruistic in some way or misguided way. I wouldn't call it circumstantial, but I would call it orchestrated by Palpatine.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

@Dagenspear, I'll respond to your post in due time. Bit tied up at the moment...

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 19 Jan  2016, 18:01
@Dagenspear, I'll respond to your post in due time. Bit tied up at the moment...

You should have told me you had obligations, damnit. Can't bind and gag anyone these days. Ugh.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 19 Jan  2016, 18:22
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 19 Jan  2016, 18:01

You should have told me you had obligations, damnit. Can't bind and gag anyone these days. Ugh.
Sorry. I'll have to book another session...er, appointment later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=PTAJWrTf_Hw

The title of that video gives me mental images of baby Kylo Ren.

And constantly adult Kylo Ren.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 20 Jan  2016, 15:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=PTAJWrTf_Hw

The title of that video gives me mental images of baby Kylo Ren.

And constantly adult Kylo Ren.

How freaking adorable.

Except the fact the little brat is going to grow up to be Darth Vader lol.