The Alien Franchise

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 9 Jul 2017, 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Marvel is publishing a new Alien one-shot this summer titled Aliens: Aftermath.

QuoteThis July, Marvel Comics will honor the 35th Anniversary of Aliens with a special one-shot by writer Benjamin Percy (WOLVERINE, X-FORCE) and artist Dave Wachter (IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON). Celebrating one of the most influential science-fiction films of all time, ALIENS: AFTERMATH #1 will be a double-sized issue featuring an all-new story set in the same terrifying universe of Aliens. The action will take place at Hadley's Hope and present a terrifying possible future for LV-426, the location of the groundbreaking 1986 film.

It's been 35 years since the tragedy of the Hadley's Hope colony, but what happened during that ill-fated venture has been shrouded in mystery. A renegade crew of investigative journalists are heading towards the moon that Weyland-Yutani has wiped from all records, and they'll bring back the truth even if it kills them...and what remains in that bombed-out site will try to do just that. Here's what Percy had to say about penning this new saga:

"When I was a kid, I had a door-length poster of a xenomorph crashing through the wood, tearing off the hinges, creeping forward with a drippy fanged smile. This is the image I would drift away to every night, which no doubt influenced my imaginative hard-wiring, along with the films and comics that I watched and read over and over and over. To this day, I can't grip a knife without wanting to lay my hand on a table and tick-tick-tick the point between my splayed fingers—I can't play a game of ping-pong or Clue without yelling, 'Game over, man.'—I can't scratch an orange tabby without whispering , 'You are my lucky star....lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky.' I've been in love with these stories most of my life, and it's truly an honor and a delight to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Aliens with a script inked in acid blood."

ALIENS: AFTERMATH #1
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by DAVE WACHTER
Cover by PHIL NOTO
On Sale 7/14
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/35th-anniversary-aliens-aftermath-1-announcement

A brief history of unmade Alien sequels, including the Blomkamp thing... which SN has already made to sound amazing but somehow it sounds even more amazing in this video. Alas and alack...

Some more concept art from Blomkamp's movie appeared online earlier this month.

Now that the Mouse is calling the shots (urgh) I suppose there's a possibility Disney might go ahead and revive this project. Multiverses/alternate timelines are becoming an increasingly common occurrence with modern film franchises: Superman, Terminator, Highlander, Halloween, etc. The Alien franchise already has a split timeline owing to the discrepancies between the AvP movies and Scott's prequel films, where the latter effectively retconned the Weyland storyline from the former, so I don't think fans would object to another branching timeline. Not if the finished product was good enough to justify it.

In other Alien news, a new trailer for Aliens: Fireteam Elite was released last week.

It looks like the player will be visiting an Engineer temple at some point during the game.

The series, which will not focus on the iconic "Ripley" character played by Weaver, will take place on Earth and explore "what happens when the inequality we're struggling with now isn't resolved."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jul/2/alien-fx-series-inspired-by-inequality-were-strugg/

I'll pass.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  3 Jul  2021, 13:05explore "what happens when the inequality we're struggling with now isn't resolved."

So begins the Disney-era of Alien.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat,  3 Jul  2021, 15:32
Same haha!
Alien films aren't creative black holes, but things have really hit rock bottom when identify politics has infested the monster genre. Sequences of xenos killing wokesters isn't going to appease me, either. I don't want to see these characters or themes present, period. Weaver played a strong woman and that's great. Yaphet Kotto and his character arc was brilliant, too. But get out of town with struggles of 'inequality'. Focusing heavily on that transforms the series into something else entirely: a vehicle for politics with the Aliens becoming incidental. Entertainment should be about attracting the widest audience possible, but this only serves to divide it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  4 Jul  2021, 13:53
Quote from: BatmanFurst on Sat,  3 Jul  2021, 15:32
Same haha!
Alien films aren't creative black holes, but things have really hit rock bottom when identify politics has infested the monster genre. Sequences of xenos killing wokesters isn't going to appease me, either. I don't want to see these characters or themes present, period. Weaver played a strong woman and that's great. Yaphet Kotto and his character arc was brilliant, too. But get out of town with struggles of 'inequality'. Focusing heavily on that transforms the series into something else entirely: a vehicle for politics with the Aliens becoming incidental. Entertainment should be about attracting the widest audience possible, but this only serves to divide it.
Assuming there is a semi-political dimension to the Alien series, I'd say it's that gigantic corporations view everybody an expendable cog in the machinery of commerce. Nobody and nothing is more sacred to them than profit.

I don't need some kind of "message" to these movies. But that one is waiting for someone to pick it up if they need some kind of "deeper meaning".

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  5 Jul  2021, 04:16
Assuming there is a semi-political dimension to the Alien series, I'd say it's that gigantic corporations view everybody an expendable cog in the machinery of commerce. Nobody and nothing is more sacred to them than profit.

I don't need some kind of "message" to these movies. But that one is waiting for someone to pick it up if they need some kind of "deeper meaning".
These days, the people siding with major corporations, establishment politicians and mainstream media call themselves 'the resistance'. They talk about the importance of human rights and stopping pollution while their masters happily do business with the worst offenders. The real juicy content of hypocrisy is staring everyone in the face but it won't be touched. We live in a dump of a world.

Expect Disney to bring this character to the silver screen so the Alien franchise has its own Groot. To bring "fun" and "joy" and all. Oh joy.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei